Record Attendance Spring Game

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If history is any indication...

Most fans will be sitting in the west stands.

AJC will publish a photo of upper east.
Ok lets look at this realistically ( not sure I have this right but should be close ) Lets say 80 % of the fans at the spring game sit in the west stands . Remember the upper deck will not be open. There are 11 sections and 50 rows in the lower section. This is the part I'm not sure about lets said each row has 24 seats. So if every seat was used that would be 13,200 . but we know this being a spring game people will not want to sit that close so lets assume that 75% of those seats will be used 9,900. So realistically looking at it like this how many fans will we have at the spring game. I have been to a lot and if I remember about 18,000 was the best I remember. I would love for Tech to go oh crap we have so many that we need to open the upper deck. I'm not sure how each team counts attendance at spring games other than guess. All I want is for the players to know we care about them and let the recruits at the game know we do. So how many do you really think we have if the weather is good ?

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok lets look at this realistically ( not sure I have this right but should be close ) Lets say 80 % of the fans at the spring game sit in the west stands . Remember the upper deck will not be open. There are 11 sections and 50 rows in the lower section. This is the part I'm not sure about lets said each row has 24 seats. So if every seat was used that would be 13,200 . but we know this being a spring game people will not want to sit that close so lets assume that 75% of those seats will be used 9,900. So realistically looking at it like this how many fans will we have at the spring game. I have been to a lot and if I remember about 18,000 was the best I remember. I would love for Tech to go oh crap we have so many that we need to open the upper deck. I'm not sure how each team counts attendance at spring games other than guess. All I want is for the players to know we care about them and let the recruits at the game know we do. So how many do you really think we have if the weather is good ?

You've already hit on the most important factor, the weather. Praying that it's good.

Next, the student body. All group leaders (greeks, clubs, organizations...) need to mobilize their members.

Local alum/supporter networking. How well do we do the 'you tell a friend, and they tell a friend, and so on, and so on...' thing?

How well will our reinvigorated outreach to The 404 & interest in our 'special guest' move people unconnected to GT to turn out?
How well have CGC & staff extended the invite to local HSs in the metro area?

If past performance is a predictor of future results, 30k is just a dream.

But I'm still dreaming.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You've already hit on the most important factor, the weather. Praying that it's good.

Next, the student body. All group leaders (greeks, clubs, organizations...) need to mobilize their members.

Local alum/supporter networking. How well do we do the 'you tell a friend, and they tell a friend, and so on, and so on...' thing?

How well will our reinvigorated outreach to The 404 & interest in our 'special guest' move people unconnected to GT to turn out?
How well have CGC & staff extended the invite to local HSs in the metro area?

If past performance is a predictor of future results, 30k is just a dream.

But I'm still dreaming.
1. Friday traffic. People don't want to fight Friday night traffic, especially after working all day.

2. Distance. People 2 or more hours away are much more likely to come to a Saturday game than a Friday night one.

A Saturday or Saturday night game would make way more sense from an attendance standpoint. Saturday night would still give you the "BDS under the lights with the ATL skyline" look to the 'cruits.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
1. Friday traffic. People don't want to fight Friday night traffic, especially after working all day.

2. Distance. People 2 or more hours away are much more likely to come to a Saturday game than a Friday night one.

A Saturday or Saturday night game would make way more sense from an attendance standpoint. Saturday night would still give you the "BDS under the lights with the ATL skyline" look to the 'cruits.
I live in woodstock georgia which if there is not road work on l-75 and not rush hour is about a 35 minute drive but being on Friday with rush hour will be about 1 1/2 hours if I'm lucky. But as long as the weather is good I'll be there but I am retired which makes it better. If I remember you live in Fla which i can understand that Friday night would be bad.

My drive from Augusta can be as little as 2 1/4 hours with minimum traffic. It will obviously take longer on a Friday, but I have made it with no problems 4 out of the last 5 years and, weather permitting, will be there Friday night. Since I am retired, I can come up at virtually any time I want to, so I will probably leave Augusta by 2:30, giving me plenty of unrushed time to get there.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My drive from Augusta can be as little as 2 1/4 hours with minimum traffic. It will obviously take longer on a Friday, but I have made it with no problems 4 out of the last 5 years and, weather permitting, will be there Friday night. Since I am retired, I can come up at virtually any time I want to, so I will probably leave Augusta by 2:30, giving me plenty of unrushed time to get there.
What time are you firing up the grill? ;)

What time are you firing up the grill? ;)
When I tailgate in the Fall, my "hosts" bring the grill. Since they will not be at the Spring game, I don't anticipate any tailgating unless someone else invites me. There has been none for me the past few years, but it's still a great time to hang out with old Tech friends and meet some new ones. Are you bringing a grill? LOL

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When I tailgate in the Fall, my "hosts" bring the grill. Since they will not be at the Spring game, I don't anticipate any tailgating unless someone else invites me. There has been none for me the past few years, but it's still a great time to hang out with old Tech friends and meet some new ones. Are you bringing a grill? LOL
Not exactly, but I'll be firing up the wing fryer at my beach house assuming the game is televised.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

You nailed it.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
We'll be driving up from Savannah Friday, but actually attending my daughter's concert at the Student Center instead of the game (THAT will be a big drain on people showing up to the game as well!! ;)). May be able to slide in afterwards for a few minutes near the end.
Came up 3 weeks ago to Tech and it took us 5.75 hrs for a usual 3.5 hr trip. I am very re-acquainted with Hampton, Locust Grove, Luella, and surrounding area roads south of ATL (some gravel) - gotta love the WAZE app!!