Radford

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hey look, we win. Despite a failed bunt/pop-up, subsequent strike out, and getting picked off, all in the T10. I’m not sure I’ve ever felt so terrible after a series clinching game.

I thought you'd have loved all those sac attempts. Took a manly swing to win it. Radcliffe knew he had it with the fist pump after two steps.

Hey, we ought to extend Hall's contract. We took the series from the #228 RPI team @ home with two walk offs.

Tomorrow **should** have a lot of runs given the depletion of both bullpens. Hurter probably won't go deep, but you never know. We had 186 pitches and they had 180.

Edit: WREK is great. They don't pull punches is complementing the other team or saying when we don't do well. We didn't run well tonight and RISP was 2-14 or .143. Overall we hit .375. My hypothesis that we are just RISP unlucky is tenuous.

Last edited:

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If you were listening and didn’t see it, he stopped between 1st and 2nd and started hugging Radcliffe. The Radford coach came out and appealed because they made contact and I’m not so sure Radcliffe didn’t pass Hall during the process. Never seen that before on a walkoff
Pretty sure that changes the final score from 11-8 to 9-8 and gives Baron a 1B. The first run scored, but bc of the contact, the runner is out so play is dead at that point.

I could be wrong on my interpretation, but I’d guess that would be the ruling.

And sooo glad they kept throwing fastballs to Baron!!

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
What if the runner had not crossed the plate yet? If the play is dead at contact of the runners, then I doubt the winning run should count. Regardless, I’m glad it’s a moot point now as that would’ve been a monumental bone headed play had it cost us the game.

Deleted member 2897

Well. A 9-2 predicted finish now starts 2-0. But wow. At least 7 more wins like that will be fine.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If the contact occurred before the lead runner crossed home is it still tied?

All the first runner has to do is cross home plate and Radcliffe has to touch first base. If the contact occurred after both of those, then it doesn't matter. The final would be 9-8 though.
That’s what I was thinking as well.

Hopefully it’s a teachable moment....from father to son and coach to player....

65Jacket

GT Athlete
You are going to drive up for a baseball game, but are concerned about the price of a ticket? By the way, parking at the Klaus Deck is $5. Some nice lady actually gave me a ticket as I approached the ticket window at one

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
[/QUOTE] CT had 80 pitches with a 5 run lead when Hall decided to coach. Put in relievers to give them some work. Our D sucked and the pitchers weren't much better. Now 7-6 and we may lose this one. Nothing like making it hard.[/QUOTE]
On this one I can’t fault CDH on that one. We have a lot of games coming up that we will need CT to go deep in over the next 3 weeks including (hopefully) 2 games in ACCT. If you are going to take your chances with the bullpen you would think Radford would be who you would want to do it against. Didn’t work out that way, but I can understand the thought process.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Isn’t the rule if the guy who hits the HR passes the runner in front of him he’s called out, not touches the guy in front of him?

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Hall definitely touched Radcliff, they were hugging and spinning around together. The rest of the team was swarming all around them as soon as they passed second base.
You could not see where the runner who scored the winning (?) run was when the celebration was going on at 2nd base. I can't believe the Coach's son would do something so dumb and I can't believe the team celebrated on the field before the batter scored. And give McCann the award for dumb base running for the game.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Hall definitely touched Radcliff, they were hugging and spinning around together. The rest of the team was swarming all around them as soon as they passed second base.
You could not see where the runner who scored the winning (?) run was when the celebration was going on at 2nd base. I can't believe the Coach's son would do something so dumb and I can't believe the team celebrated on the field before the batter scored. And give McCann the award for dumb base running for the game.
All of this.

I’m guessing Serratos had long scored by the time Hall went running and hugging all over Baron since Oscar was at 3B and running on contact. But sheesh...

LibertyTurns

Banned
Not sure what the NCAA rules is but MLB rule 7.01 says if Radcliff passed Hall he is out & is the 3rd out. If Serrano’s had not touched home plate his run does not count. I’m assuming he did so the official score should be GT 9-8, Radcliff is awarded the last base he touched before the infraction. I walked away from the tv & didn’t return until I heard some yapping about there being an issue. They didn’t replay it so I don’t really know.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's what D1 Baseball said about us yesterday:
"– The Baron
Georgia Tech did a commendable job of grabbing a big lead, losing that big lead and then tying the game in the bottom of the eighth inning to send its nonconference contest with Radford to extra frames. Then, in the 10th inning, Baron Radcliff (who if you add the middle name “Von” sounds like the name of a wrestling villain) cranked out a three-run dinger to right-center field to give the Jackets an 11-8 win. Tech rambled into the weekend with an RPI of No. 53, so you know how troubling any kind of loss to the Highlanders could be to their at-large status.
"

We are up to 48th in RPI. (Next up UGAg who is #5). Today's game gives us 2 RPI "points" for a win and we lose 57 if we lose. I'm not sure what our total "points" are but I think Florida (#1) has 803 more than we do. I think a lot of our movement the last two days has been the results of other teams we have played doing better. Bottom line: have to win today to keep the slim hope of a bid alive. Beating UGAg on a neutral field would help a lot as would winning the UVa and Duke series ........ no way we do any of that unless our defense, relief pitching and RISP hitting gets better.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Radcliff has been beaten up (justifiably) through most of the season. I'll accept the "reporting" that he has continued to work hard. As such... a big attaboy for yesterday... his best performance of the season. Good on him for the improvement (still small/early dataset)... and even more significant, the continued hard work.

Will be nice option should he keep it up against the better competition upcoming.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Radcliff has been beaten up (justifiably) through most of the season. I'll accept the "reporting" that he has continued to work hard. As such... a big attaboy for yesterday... his best performance of the season. Good on him for the improvement (still small/early dataset)... and even more significant, the continued hard work.

Will be nice option should he keep it up against the better competition upcoming.

The Baron did a great job yesterday. Hopefully that continues. His batting average is now .197 on the year; OnBase% of .244 is the lowest on the team for players with significant ABs. Super power. If he can do what McCann has done (.198 last year to .305 this year), watch out!! http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=206022

Compare that to the much maligned Nick Wilhite who I really like. That kid with his .141 BA just gets on base with all his walks and speed. How he coaxes those walks from opposing pitchers is a mystery. Nick's OBP is .273. With his ability to snare anything close in the OF, I like him in the line-up too.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Bart has been given very little relief from his duties behind the plate. Beginning after last week's break (so incl Radford series)... Ga Tech plays 11 games in 16 days. ...to end 56 game schedule. Will wear & tear factor in?

Seems like the Radford series would be great for a break, right? How tough can these guys be, anyway? o_O