Radford

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Some random responses to a few posts above (some devil's advocacy):
- this series matters for more than morale. It's potential wins (over losses). These players need the "live" work against an real (not scrimmage) opponent to prepare for the final 2weeks of regular season. While I agree winning ACCT is our most likely assured path to NCAAs, it is still possible (not likely) this team puts on a real run down stretch & earns a bid by finishing at or above .500 in ACC & short of ACC title.
- Doubt we see English at 1B. CDH said his arm is sore & they want to rest it. Granted 1B is easy on the arm.
- I suspect no one would be talking about the Hughes pinch runner thing had he (Hughes) not bungled the thing. I blame the coaches (CDH/1B coach & the player. Pretty fundamental mistake for this level of baseball.
- The (almost) loss I put more on the players than coaches. CDH in pregame interview commented on how Radford needed to be taken seriously. He gave specific reasons why... including importance of winning ALL they can on remaining schedule. I'm certain he amplified that with the team. They are responsible for being ready to go at 1st pitch. I do not believe they were... for whatever reason (finals... or taking opponent lightly or combo).

I'm not defending CDH. I'm also not spring loaded to connect every boneheaded play back to him either.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
What’s the “magic number” of wins (estimate) needed for NCAA tourney bid. I always forget around this time of year. Mainly bc we have needed to win the acc the last several years to get in.

We have 25 wins. I could see 7 more if we play really well in the regular season. Anyone think 32 gets us in? Or we need a good run in the acc still?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
What’s the “magic number” of wins (estimate) needed for NCAA tourney bid. I always forget around this time of year. Mainly bc we have needed to win the acc the last several years to get in.

We have 25 wins. I could see 7 more if we play really well in the regular season. Anyone think 32 gets us in? Or we need a good run in the acc still?
Just my opinion, but not only "how many"... but what kind of wins (& losses). Here is what I'd consider "minimum" to be on the favorable side of bubble (10 games remain)
- Must go 3-1 in remaining out of conference. Only "allowable" loss is UGA. Must win v Radford x 2 and SEMO.
- Must go 4-2 in remaining ACC to get to .500 in conference.

Adding 1 single win to that over UGA or a 5-1 ACC record would do wonders!

Only way to avoid missing tournament all together OR being on bubble is to win ACC tournament.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think that we need to be 10 games over .500 and then be over .500 in the ACC which includes the ACCT. A couple of years ago, Ole Miss finished the season 1 game over .500 but got in because they had the #1 SOS. The selection committee likes to take about 7 or 8 ACC and SEC teams, and I think that we can sneak in.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that we need to be 10 games over .500 and then be over .500 in the ACC which includes the ACCT. A couple of years ago, Ole Miss finished the season 1 game over .500 but got in because they had the #1 SOS. The selection committee likes to take about 7 or 8 ACC and SEC teams, and I think that we can sneak in.

The SEC is having a good year, and the ACC...not quite as good. I'm not an expert, but some projections I've seen show the SEC with 10 bids and the ACC with as few as 6.

Edit: but our #12 SOS should help.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
Were doing pretty good right now just gotta keep the runs going up no stop I like the lead but we need more Lets Go GT y'all got it!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The SEC is having a good year, and the ACC...not quite as good. I'm not an expert, but some projections I've seen show the SEC with 10 bids and the ACC with as few as 6.

Edit: but our #12 SOS should help.

D1 Baseball has 11 for SEC and 6 for ACC.

I think our ways to get to NCAAs in likelihood:
1) Win the ACCCG.
2) Sweep Radford and win 6 of our next 8.
3) Make Top 6 in ACC somehow.

We need a new coach to inspire the team. CT had 80 pitches with a 5 run lead when Hall decided to coach. Put in relievers to give them some work. Our D sucked and the pitchers weren't much better. Now 7-6 and we may lose this one. Nothing like making it hard.

Deleted member 2897

This is really sad to me that we’ve struggled with Radford for 17 innings. My #Fredoptimism is imploding.

Deleted member 2897

Wow. That’s almost just not fair. How sucky is all this for Radford.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
If you were listening and didn’t see it, he stopped between 1st and 2nd and started hugging Radcliffe. The Radford coach came out and appealed because they made contact and I’m not so sure Radcliffe didn’t pass Hall during the process. Never seen that before on a walkoff