Radford

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well... next up a 200+ RPI team in Radford. According to Warren Nolan, they have played the 252nd toughest schedule that includes only 6 games against Top 100 opponents. They are 1-5 in those games. Lone win over Jacksonville St (#95). VT is the one common opponent and VT beat them 3-2 back in Feb in a mid-week contest.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well... next up a 200+ RPI team in Radford. According to Warren Nolan, they have played the 252nd toughest schedule that includes only 6 games against Top 100 opponents. They are 1-5 in those games. Lone win over Jacksonville St (#95). VT is the one common opponent and VT beat them 3-2 back in Feb in a mid-week contest.

Didn't Radford beat VT 12-11?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@FredJacket finally going to get that sweep he so desperately craves. Personally, I would rather beat a real team like UGA.
I'd hope all of 'us' crave a sweep. There seems to be an implied "false" choice you're asking me to commit to. I'd want the sweep of RU AND a win over UGA (on Tues). Both are possible at this point. I'd even support holding Thomas, Curry, or English out of a start this weekend to start against UGA.

If/when Tech does sweep RU... it certainly won't mean anymore than we have added 3 wins (0 losses) to the ledger. Can only play/beat the team on the schedule that day.

Deleted member 2897

After 5 straight losses IIRC, we are due against uGA. That's why I think we beat them and sweep Radford. The other OOC team isn't that tough either. So its all about 2 and 1s in the ACC baby. 9-2!

#Fredoptimism

65Jacket

GT Athlete
The laws of probability don't apply to us vs Ugag. If we screw up against Radford, how low will our ratings fall. Remember we always play poorly when we are favored.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The laws of probability don't apply to us vs Ugag. If we screw up against Radford, how low will our ratings fall. Remember we always play poorly when we are favored.

If we sweep Radford (RPI 230), will our RPI fall (now is #53)? I don't know the answer, but playing the #225 team at home I think we lose RPI regardless. A lot more if we lose a game or two or three of course.

Deleted member 2897

If we sweep Radford (RPI 230), will our RPI fall (now is #53)? I don't know the answer, but playing the #225 team at home I think we lose RPI regardless. A lot more if we lose a game or two or three of course.

Mmmmmm, unfortunately at this point it might be academic. We need 2-1s at least out of Virginia and Duke (or a 1-2 and a 3-0). I prefer 2-1s as it will give us a pretty long list of ACC series we won this year. Especially Duke, whom we have an outside chance of needing a tie breaker against...plus their RPI is good.

Then its the ACC Tourney. I love our chances in a 2 game round robin with Zay and Connor T. If we get out of the round robin, to me thats more important than our RPI after Radford...it just kind of is what it is at this point. I like our chances of the NCAA Tourney with somewhere around a 35-25 record. But a lot of work left to do to get there. Its all for nothing if we lose focus this weekend.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I am guessing that our RPI will fall regardless. The last loss against Wake Forest (#73) at home cost us 10-15 spots in the RPI (can't remember exactly how much) - I don't think the wins did much.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I like our chances of the NCAA Tourney with somewhere around a 35-25 record. But a lot of work left to do to get there. Its all for nothing if we lose focus this weekend.

I think we pretty much have to win the ACC Tourney to get into the NCAA's at this point.

That translates into 4 complete games by starters. since we all know what happens with our bullpen.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am guessing that our RPI will fall regardless. The last loss against Wake Forest (#73) at home cost us 10-15 spots in the RPI (can't remember exactly how much) - I don't think the wins did much.

It was 10 spots I think, maybe if we had swept Wake at home we would have stayed the same or gone up a spot. I thought someone posted there was a site which had how much a team's RPI would change with a win or a loss in a game ...... that's what I was fishing for. I checked Nolan Ryan and Boyds World and couldn't find that stat.

Why kills in the RPI is not winning on the road. Road wins are worth 1.3 wins. Home wins are worth .7 wins. That goes into the 25% of your winning record. The other 75% is based on the other team. Given Radford's dismal RPI, that is not going to give us RPI points when other teams are making them ........

It is academic. As posted above, I think our best chance is to win the ACC Tourney. But given how we've played 5-12 away, I'm not holding my breath. But am going to the liquor store.

If anyone has that site for game difference in RPI, I'd appreciate it.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It was 10 spots I think, maybe if we had swept Wake at home we would have stayed the same or gone up a spot. I thought someone posted there was a site which had how much a team's RPI would change with a win or a loss in a game ...... that's what I was fishing for. I checked Nolan Ryan and Boyds World and couldn't find that stat.

Why kills in the RPI is not winning on the road. Road wins are worth 1.3 wins. Home wins are worth .7 wins. That goes into the 25% of your winning record. The other 75% is based on the other team. Given Radford's dismal RPI, that is not going to give us RPI points when other teams are making them ........

It is academic. As posted above, I think our best chance is to win the ACC Tourney. But given how we've played 5-12 away, I'm not holding my breath. But am going to the liquor store.

If anyone has that site for game difference in RPI, I'd appreciate it.

It was me that posted that - here. But it only has the current day's games, so we'll know after midnight (y)