Quincy Avery Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Serious question: Who is Quincy Avery and why should we care what he says?

He is one of those private QB coaches. Worked with Deshaun Watson, Josh Dobbs and our very own Jordan Yates. Whether you should care what he says or not is up to you. He is known in the recruiting world, though, especially in this area. He has some degree of influence with a lot of local HS players.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
He is one of those private QB coaches. Worked with Deshaun Watson, Josh Dobbs and our very own Jordan Yates. Whether you should care what he says or not is up to you. He is known in the recruiting world, though, especially in this area.

Yeah, just looked him up. Seems like he is speaking from self interest. Option QBs aren’t gong to hire him.

In any event, to say time had come to move from Paul Johnson is one thing. Even CPJ supporters can agree things had gotten stale. To say option football was dumb shows that he does not really know what he is taking about. CPJ was quite successful here, and what held him back was not option football. It was a lot of the other parts of being a head coach, like D, special teams, recruiting, etc. Pretty sure even folks that wanted him gone wouldn’t say it was “dumb” to have given it a shot in the first place. I don’t remember anyone saying it was dumb when we beat UGA his first year, for the first time in seven years.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, just looked him up. Seems like he is speaking from self interest. Option QBs aren’t gong to hire him.

In any event, to say time had come to move from Paul Johnson is one thing. Even CPJ supporters can agree things had gotten stale. To say option football was dumb shows that he does not really know what he is taking about. CPJ was quite successful here, and what held him back was not option football. It was a lot of the other parts of being a head coach, like D, special teams, recruiting, etc. Pretty sure even folks that wanted him gone wouldn’t say it was “dumb” to have given it a shot in the first place. I don’t remember anyone saying it was dumb when we beat UGA his first year, for the first time in seven years.

Yeah, I do agree it is a bad take. Unfortunately not an uncommon one.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I will garauntee you, many of us at times, maybe not this year, maybe next or on will go during a game:

- damn i miss going for it on 4th down
- damn i miss and we need a death march
- crap can we run the option more please
- why cant we run it on 3rd and 3?

MARK. MY. WORDS.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think it was a good choice at the time considering Tech not joining the arms race in spending. I think CPJ's current version had run its course......between the rule changes.....chop blocks and downfield cut blocks, as well as the ignoring of defensive holding of O linemen......as well as what seemed a trend of forcing the QB to keep which led to the QB getting beat up over the season and their career.

Spot on. I think a lot of the rule changes and uncalled defensive holding might be a factor in CPJ's retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
With the unexpected passing of OldJacketFan, one can't help but wonder if maybe something has happened to Mike. If OJF's daughter had not known of his love for this site, we might not have known about him. Hopefully, if something has happened to Mike, someone in his family knows about the site and will notify us.
I am wondering the same, but pray not.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not trying to diminish it because it’s imprtant, but with ACC title games and a 12 game schedule he did get 2 more games than basically every other coach besides Gailey. With rule changes, there’s about 8 other seasons that could have been possible and 4 that would have been extremely realistic to hit that 10 win Margain with modern scheduling. Context is important

I went back to look at the data. Since Dodd, we won 9 games in 70, 85, & 2000 where we played 12 vs 13 games. Of the 8 win seasons, only 1999 had 12 games or less. We were 8-5 in 91 & 2001. In none of our 8 win seasons were we conference champions, or even second, so we wouldn't have gotten to the ACCCG had it existed anyways. All three of the 9 win seasons would most likely have netted an extra win. So there are three seasons possible, not 8.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Let it go folks, PLEASE!
YES!! Let's quit finding ways to bash CPJ over and over again and just move on. Let's give CGC a chance without trying to build him up by trashing the last coach. I know there are people who feel they are finally getting the offense they've always wanted but just feel good about that and move on. Quit making your case on and on and on.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not thread-worthy.

We already know some folks felt this way.

There's no evidence this guy is an authority on anything to the extent that we should care what he thinks. And I know full well who he is and what he does.

I'd say he probably has no idea what it takes to run a successful college program anywhere, much less at GT.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
YES!! Let's quit finding ways to bash CPJ over and over again and just move on. Let's give CGC a chance without trying to build him up by trashing the last coach. I know there are people who feel they are finally getting the offense they've always wanted but just feel good about that and move on. Quit making your case on and on and on.
Not sure why you are quoting me. I’m not the one posting tweets from random people. I was just curious who this guy was that we dedicated a whole thread to.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

All this.

I get it. All the closet CPJ-haters, who were apparently rooting for us to lose all these years, finally have the offense they wanted.

Fine.

But there's no need to find new, creative ways to just say you didn't like the option.

And if the best thing one can do to promote a guy is to bash the guy he replaced ... well, I think we all know that's the start of a weak argument.

slugboy

Staff member
Still waiting on someone to combine CPJ's run game with the Air Raid passing concepts. That would be the end of DCs.

The last few years, it didn’t see like we had enough time to practice the plays we ran often, much less open up the blocking schemes and play book. But, I would have liked seeing that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.