Quincy Avery Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

This is what I'll say to that:

Jordan Yates was one of Avery's "students". Even though Avery was quite vocal about being anti-triple option, Yates never wavered when he was committed to CPJ and the option.

Many things have been said about GT running the option, but one thing no one can argue is: 2 Orange Bowls, 3 ACCCGs, 1 ACC Championship. That's what the triple option in Atlanta got us.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Jordan Yates was one of Avery's "students". Even though Avery was quite vocal about being anti-triple option, Yates never wavered when he was committed to CPJ and the option.

Many things have been said about GT running the option, but one thing no one can argue is: 2 Orange Bowls, 3 ACCCGs, 1 ACC Championship. That's what the triple option in Atlanta got us.

I don’t think anyone could argue the results. I’m not gonna go into a back and forth about it but in Atlanta I will say it was low key killing the program.

Animal02

Banned

I think it was a good choice at the time considering Tech not joining the arms race in spending. I think CPJ's current version had run its course......between the rule changes.....chop blocks and downfield cut blocks, as well as the ignoring of defensive holding of O linemen......as well as what seemed a trend of forcing the QB to keep which led to the QB getting beat up over the season and their career.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I think it was a good choice at the time considering Tech not joining the arms race in spending. I think CPJ's current version had run its course......between the rule changes.....chop blocks and downfield cut blocks, as well as the ignoring of defensive holding of O linemen......as well as what seemed a trend of forcing the QB to keep which led to the QB getting beat up over the season and their career.

Agree with that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well we can all have our opinion. Some long time tech fans did feel that way fyi. I didn’t. But some did.
That's fair I suppose. But I still feel like anyone who knows the long history of Tech knows that we have always looked for an outside the box edge. I could do a treatise on this going back to Heisman.

Now we are trying the next chapter in that approach- coupling Chan Gailey's pro emphasis and coaching connections with Dabo Sweeney's boyish boosterism. I'm all in favor of Tech continuing to stir the pot but anyone who doesn't know why Tech always has to innovate to keep up is woefully ignorant of our history in my opinion.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think anyone could argue the results. I’m not gonna go into a back and forth about it but in Atlanta I will say it was low key killing the program.

I'm sure you've read my posts regarding the CPJ's offense and recruiting in the past. I think we agree about how the offense affected recruiting. I don't think much more needs to be said.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Wow, I agree with you on something! :)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think Quincy Avery's take ignores a lot of factors and I don't agree with it. But the fact that guys like him, who are influential with high school players, even held that opinion at all, was a problem that I think CPJ realized he wasn't going to be able to solve (Yates commitment, motwithstanding).

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Animal: The "ignoring of defensive holding of O linemen" is really a BIG factor. It seems that year in and year out the definition of O line holding is muted more and more. If they called it when they needed to call it, would it slow down play? Yes, for a while, but guys would adjust and learn technique blocking. There would also be more QB sacks, which I think is exciting. It is frustrating.

Animal02

Banned
Wow, I agree with you on something! :)
I also think Tech could have done well with an updated version of the 3O like what what some of the CPJ coaching tree has done. I expect to Tech will be about as successful on its long term average under the new staff......the the creation of a "dynasty" like I saw mentioned on one of the FB pages.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I also think Tech could have done well with an updated version of the 3O like what what some of the CPJ coaching tree has done. I expect to Tech will be about as successful on its long term average under the new staff......the the creation of a "dynasty" like I saw mentioned on one of the FB pages.

Not gonna lie, it would have been interesting to see what Monken could have done here. I don't think his hire was viable because a lot of influential people were ready to move on from the spread option, but I have no doubt Monken would have been highly successful here. IMO, Monken is the best spread option coach in the business today, and that includes CPJ.

Last edited:

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
As for saying “it is not about getting kids in, but keeping them in.” That is a fact that many posters refuse to admit. Being academically eligible and willing to do the work to stay eligible are two separate issues. As I and others have said, there is no place to hide. Those that want to put in the effort have lots of help available, but they still have to want to.
Show me where any of the former players have refuted that.
Furthermore, the FACT remains that TECH offers a very limited number of majors compared to most schools. Not every kid wants to major in engineering or business which is a roadblock in recruiting. Please show where that was been refuted.

Another quote:
The difference being you go to a school like UGA if the NFL is your primary goal, because you can coast through....not at Tech. Tech recruits are going to have to see school as a priority...which means degree major is a primary factor.

I can refute this myself. I came to GT to play baseball. I did not think once about what I was going to major in. I can assure you very few athletes (with hopes/plans to play at the next level) coming into any school, GT included, care what they major in. I knew GT was a great school and grew up a GT fan so I knew any degree from here would be beneficial to me whenever my baseball career ended, but I assure you my focus was baseball first, girls second, and school next when I was 18 coming into GT. And when I say school, I don’t mean, what will I major in. I mean, do what I need to do to keep playing.

As far as “hiding” players, I don’t disagree that we can put kids in underwater basketweaving or whatever else the dwags offer. You on the other hand overestimate how hard it is for an athlete to merely stay eligible once in school.

They are required to go to class (half the battle), mandatory study hall for younger players until they show the can handle class, access to tutors and material (as Techster has pointed out), along with first pick in which classes as well as professors they take (with knowledge of which professors are athlete friendly). So while it does take effort, getting a 1.85 or whatever keeps someone eligible is not that difficult with minimal effort.

Lastly, as for the negative recruiting comment. All you and your two or three counterparts have done is spout the same thing our competition is doing: “GT is too hard,” “calculus,” “not enough majors.” On top of that, you’re insinuating that half of the kids we are currently recruiting aren’t smart enough to either get in or stay in GT.

Collins on the other hand is focusing on the great things we have to offer and selling it to anyone who will listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.