Question for y"all

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If we're saying we shouldn't be capable of competing with any of these teams, then I need to go find a different team or just stop caring about college football at all (more likely):

NCSU, Louisville, WF, Cuse, Pitt, and VT

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Are we really saying that we can't win in the ACC, yet believe we will get a BIG10 invite? TFG really screwed up our perception.
There will be a few staff changes this off season. We will bring in a top 30 recruiting class. Will get some defensive guys from the portal. Will go bowling for the second year in a row and have the possibility of a 9‐10 win season. Next year is gonna be fun.
Remember, clempson and free shoes didn't become powers by playing pansies. They went on the road and beat anyone who would play them. Dont give me the mutts ooc games (aside us of course). Give me the ole miss, awebarns and Rudy university ooc games. Take our lumps before we give them.
THWg

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Agree. I think next year has to see a bowl game.

From a development standpoint, we are in a good spot. On Offense we have a QB who is a SO and already transferred, so likely not to test the portal unless he gets supplanted by an even better QB. We have a young but good core group at WR. OL is a mix of upper and under classmen, which is ideal as we continue to develop. Our three primary TEs are seniors, but there is some potential talent in the wings. Our offense looks primed for long term success if we can keep them here.

On Defense, we have a lot of JRs and SRs playing, but we have some good pieces to build around. We need some real development to happen this year to get guys ready to take the reins.

Unfortunately for us, next years schedule is no easier, and might prove to be harder. We start with FSU in Ireland, play a couple of winnable games against Ga State and VMI but then play ND, Clemson, NCSU, Louisville, WF, Cuse, Pitt, and VT before ending with uga.
Tough schedule next year may offset improvements. We better be hitting the portal real hard for defensive linemen.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If we're saying we shouldn't be capable of competing with any of these teams, then I need to go find a different team or just stop caring about college football at all (more likely):

NCSU, Louisville, WF, Cuse, Pitt, and VT

Those teams are our peers in the ACC. You cannot reasonably expect a team to sweep all its peers. If we split those games and win the two gimmies that's 5 wins. If we win 6, like I suggested we would, we go 4-2 in that stretch against our peers. Contrary to popular belief, GT is not the only team capable of improving itself.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just going to offer this. Back in the 60s conservative politicians liked to say “You can’t solve problems by just throwing money at them.” It was a great talking point but it belied the truth that very few problems in the history of the world have ever been solved without money.

Whether money is squandered, wasted, or wisely spent, is an entirely different question and often becomes a deflection away from the hard realities that very little in life of importance comes on the cheap.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I don't like being underdogs to Wake but any team that has given up 24 points in less than 8 minutes in the fourth quarter is not likely to be given the benefit of the doubt by bookies. Mercifully, this Wake team is a shadow of what they have been the last few years with an explosive offense trying to make up for a less than stellar defense. Seems I have seen that play before.
With our defense, we have the potential to make any opponent look good.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
How long does it take to build a good football team???

Coaching is always going to be crucial. Scheme and good technique are a must on offense and defense.

Currently our defense needs an overhaul in scheme or at least some technique in my opinion.

CPJ did a great job of doing a quick turnaround. At least on offense that is. And in what I've seen thus far our OC and Offensive staff have done a great job.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
There will be a few staff changes this off season. We will bring in a top 30 recruiting class.
We are 30th in total ranking now and not likely to add many more. We are 42nd in average ranking which I think is going to be more accurate in terms of where we end up. Until we get recruiting up to at least top 30 in terms of average ranking, it will be tough sledding.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Those teams are our peers in the ACC. You cannot reasonably expect a team to sweep all its peers. If we split those games and win the two gimmies that's 5 wins. If we win 6, like I suggested we would, we go 4-2 in that stretch against our peers. Contrary to popular belief, GT is not the only team capable of improving itself.
Correct. "Competing with any of these teams" is not the same as winning all of them. We should be competitive with them, but unless one or more has a really down year, we can't assume any of those games to be a gimme.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Your passive aggressive comments do nothing for me today sir. Especially when I haven't had my coffee yet. Obviously scheduling more doodoo teams is not the answer. That is not the issue.

The issue is losing. Something this fan base has seen far too much of In the last 5 years. Issue is defense still soft year after year. Issue is special teams are still special. Among many other things.

You're right about questioning how we could build a program with no money and fan support. I can't argue with you there. However, I am not a coach, a president, of an AD. I am just lowly fan who's brother went to Tech and decided to throw my Tech hat on forever.

But being a fan as of late sucks. Does that make me a bad fan for saying that? No. I'm just critical, as fans should be.

Bottom line, I'm tired of losing. We all are. And it's frustrating to see over and over the same issues. We can agree on that I'm sure.

Eh, unpopular opinion, but I actually think scheduling a weak *** non-conference schedule is part of the answer. Look at how a team like Wake changed their program’s perspective. They have had a good run with Clawson the last few years, but outside of an 11 win season, most are 8 or 9 win seasons(which is a good year). However, not every 8 or 9 win season is equal. No one is thinking about their non conference schedule, but if you look at it, it’s ridiculous. It’s basically a guaranteed 4 wins. Last year they went 4-5 against real competition, but the perception was much better than that because its an 8 win season. This perception works. People here wanted Clawson, but felt like there was no way he would leave Wake, when in reality we had a better ACC record than they did last year. So, I have to ask, do you actually want what Wake has? We play Georgia every year and we have to play Notre Dame every few seasons with that dumb contract they have with the ACC, so we could easily schedule three cupcakes most seasons and no one would bat an eye. Traditionally, we have a much more successful football program than Wake. This would help us build our program in the same way it has worked for Wake. They aren’t the only program doing this, either. Just a solid ACC comparison. Quit scheduling the Ole Miss’s and start scheduling more Bowling Green’s and rack up a few 8 win seasons and get the program back to stability before we start trying big non-conference games. There is no shame in this. This is a smart step in building a program. If we have three penciled in wins at the beginning of the season, that means we just need to play .500 ball in conference to win 7 games, regardless of the outcome of the mutt game. Let’s just do it a few years. We’ll start flirting with nine wins and then when we’re ready, we can go out of conference against another P5 team and show people what we’re made of.

A couple 8-9 win seasons ultimately does more than playing on a “bigger” stage and losing, especially if we’re losing 48-23.

Florida played its first non-conference regular season game out of The Swamp in 32 years this year in Utah. We don’t have to go that extreme, but this is how you build a program.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
How long does it take to build a good football team???

Coaching is always going to be crucial. Scheme and good technique are a must on offense and defense.

Currently our defense needs an overhaul in scheme or at least some technique in my opinion.

CPJ did a great job of doing a quick turnaround. At least on offense that is. And in what I've seen thus far our OC and Offensive staff have done a great job.
His offense was designed to reduce the number of possessions by the opposition with his ball control offense. As the rules changed and recruiting fell off, it just didn't work as well at the end.
The excuse that our defense practiced against the 3O isn't an excuse anymore either. We don't have enough disruptive players on D this year and the DC hasn't shown exceptional ability for the last 4 years either.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Eh, unpopular opinion, but I actually think scheduling a weak *** non-conference schedule is part of the answer. Look at how a team like Wake changed their program’s perspective. They have had a good run with Clawson the last few years, but outside of an 11 win season, most are 8 or 9 win seasons(which is a good year). However, not every 8 or 9 win season is equal. No one is thinking about their non conference schedule, but if you look at it, it’s ridiculous. It’s basically a guaranteed 4 wins. Last year they went 4-5 against real competition, but the perception was much better than that because its an 8 win season. This perception works. People here wanted Clawson, but felt like there was no way he would leave Wake, when in reality we had a better ACC record than they did last year. So, I have to ask, do you actually want what Wake has? We play Georgia every year and we have to play Notre Dame every few seasons with that dumb contract they have with the ACC, so we could easily schedule three cupcakes most seasons and no one would bat an eye. Traditionally, we have a much more successful football program than Wake. This would help us build our program in the same way it has worked for Wake. They aren’t the only program doing this, either. Just a solid ACC comparison. Quit scheduling the Ole Miss’s and start scheduling more Bowling Green’s and rack up a few 8 win seasons and get the program back to stability before we start trying big non-conference games. There is no shame in this. This is a smart step in building a program. If we have three penciled in wins at the beginning of the season, that means we just need to play .500 ball in conference to win 7 games, regardless of the outcome of the mutt game. Let’s just do it a few years. We’ll start flirting with nine wins and then when we’re ready, we can go out of conference against another P5 team and show people what we’re made of.

A couple 8-9 win seasons ultimately does more than playing on a “bigger” stage and losing, especially if we’re losing 48-23.

Florida played its first non-conference regular season game out of The Swamp in 32 years this year in Utah. We don’t have to go that extreme, but this is how you build a program.
May be unpopular, but I was on my soapbox debating for this viewpoint in another thread recently. We finished last year 4-4 in conference, ahead of 3 other teams in our division. Had we been in divisionless play last year, would have finished tied for 6th place (out of 14) with 3 other teams. Most of these teams with similar records went to bowls. We didn't, but some posters would rather us have "compelling matchups" instead of getting to a bowl game.
Since we expect to play uga every year as an OOC game, we only have the flexibility of one additional tune-up game to schedule. But one win separated us from going bowling last year, with the resulting opportunity for an additional win plus extra practice time. Another incentive for a bowl game is that the ACC will grant an additional share of the bowl revenue starting next year.

Cue the "If you want to be the best you have to beat the best" crowd. I get that, but we are in rebuild mode right now.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wake is a 50/50 game to me.
It is the kind of game though GT has to win if it wants to go bowling this year.

I have seen nothing from GT yet that says GT 'should' beat Wake. But i've seen nothing out of Wake so far that says GT can't beat them.
Looking at their last two games, so I am retired with nothing better to do, give me a break here, Wake strikes me as a well coached team but losing that quarterback has put a damper on what used to be a widely feared offense. They just do not seem to have the same vibe that was their calling card in recent years. We can beat them IF we can force two 3 and outs, preferably one in each half and don't turn the ball over. This is a team, meaning Tech, with a narrow margin of victory. I don't see the defense getting much better due to a dearth of talent at some spots especially the line.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That schedule isn't any more difficult than anyone else in the country. 8 wins should be a realistic goal. I haven't seen anything in years to suggest we can do that but there's 8 very winnable games there for any team that isn't a **** show.
They would certainly be "winnable" if we had better players on defense. We don't and they're not.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Doesn't UF play FSU every year, home-and-home?