Question for y"all

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
How is the air up there on your soapbox? Boy, are you generous with other people's money.

No, all of us should not be both donors to the GTAA and the Tech Way. People should give what they feel comfortable giving to either the program or to the NIL company. Those are personal decisions and people should not be shamed to giving if they choose to spend their hard earned money elsewhere.
Thats why I said "should" rather than "must". Nice reading comprehension.

But the same people who complain about no money in the program, complain about why we didn't get dieon etc are the ones who don't attend games, don't give and are just the most negative folks out there. Talk is cheap, especially on an internet message board. If we want X we got to give Y. If Y is not given, we will never get X.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Thats why I said "should" rather than "must". Nice reading comprehension.

But the same people who complain about no money in the program, complain about why we didn't get dieon etc are the ones who don't attend games, don't give and are just the most negative folks out there. Talk is cheap, especially on an internet message board. If we want X we got to give Y. If Y is not given, we will never get X.
Where did I say you said "must"? Nice reading comprehension.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
I am a NIL and GTAA sports donor so I am speaking up. Also, just drove back from Oxford. Yes, we have issues but also we’re showing progress. Success in college sports today is about money.

This email chain is interesting . Does everyone responding give to Alexander Tharpe; Roll call; NIL ; even a specific sports program? Not excuse like “I live out of town” . This isn‘t about sports tickets. It’s about supporting what you‘re going back and forth about. Topic is beyond the usual “it’s a chat site so we share whatever we fell like that day, hour, minute, etc.

I read this site maybe too often. Do not normally post. No, I’m not going away.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
My quote and your complaint was " we should be give.." you took that as I was demanding. If I had said " we must give..." then that would be demanding.
cmon man we're on the same side. I just believe in funding things before I crap on said thing. Many people on here don't have that view and its irritating. All they do is complain, yet refuse to help solve the problem.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
My quote and your complaint was " we should be give.." you took that as I was demanding. If I had said " we must give..." then that would be demanding.
cmon man we're on the same side. I just believe in funding things before I crap on said thing. Many people on here don't have that view and its irritating. All they do is complain, yet refuse to help solve the problem.
I never said you were demanding anything. I repeated your words verbatim.

As for the complaining, saying people should not complain, but rather pay more money when you do not know their financial situation or how much any person already gives seems extremely presumptuous. People are going to complain. You can ignore it or accept it, but it is not going to stop. Giving money is personal choice.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks like it’s regressed into an A-T points measuring contest. Why can’t we donate and complain how our money is being squandered? That’s my therapy.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Your passive aggressive comments do nothing for me today sir. Especially when I haven't had my coffee yet. Obviously scheduling more doodoo teams is not the answer. That is not the issue.

The issue is losing. Something this fan base has seen far too much of In the last 5 years. Issue is defense still soft year after year. Issue is special teams are still special. Among many other things.

You're right about questioning how we could build a program with no money and fan support. I can't argue with you there. However, I am not a coach, a president, of an AD. I am just lowly fan who's brother went to Tech and decided to throw my Tech hat on forever.

But being a fan as of late sucks. Does that make me a bad fan for saying that? No. I'm just critical, as fans should be.

Bottom line, I'm tired of losing. We all are. And it's frustrating to see over and over the same issues. We can agree on that I'm sure.
I agree with your post. I am judging Key so far over his first 11 games. He hasn't even coached a full season yet and he is 5-6 and that includes 3 losses to some pretty good teams- FSU, UGA and Ole Miss. Give him some time , I think 2024 will be a very good year.

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Today its all about the $$ and that needs to changed (but that's a whole other story). Until that changes we will be a bit behind the eight ball, but it can be done look at programs like Tulane, Duke, WF, Rutgers that have been historically bad. I believe the right Head Coach and his staff can change it much quicker than in years past. But you need to go to bowl games to improve recruiting and we need recruiting to build a program. The top players of today look to be in the best possible situation to be noticed by the NFL and sitting at home during bowl season does not help our cause. And it makes sense, look at Jahmyr Gibbs for one, he had good things to say about GT after leaving and might have stayed, but he probably improved his draft status ten-fold by playing at a higher profile program.
Scheduling is more important than most on this site believe it is. The teams you mentioned do not schedule UGA and Ole Miss as OOC opponents, If they did they would add 2 losses to their season every year they scheduled them. Win totals matter in going from a crap team to a good team. Programs, including GT need to schedule more highly likely wins!

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
We complain about money, but are we doing our part? How many on here have seen "I'll give money when x happens." "I'm giving up my season tix because x."

All of us SHOULD be both GTAA donors and Tech Way subscribers. I understand money issues, I have them myself, but we as fans have to put our money where our mouth is.

Those guys on the field who didn't give up last night should inspire the fans who always give up. Our fans need to reflect our team. Most of yall had us at 3-2 at the end of the month and guess what, that's what we'll be. We have several winnable games remaining.

We have a top 25ish recruiting class ready for next year. Key is more real than TFG, and I feel that will help team chemistry. On air last night, one of the commentators asked Key what was one of the biggest changes he instituted last year, and HCBK said, let them wear earrings. Let them express themselves. Being a disciplined players coach will attract more talent than run off.

Look, im tired of losing just like most anyone here, BUT you have to give it time. We have one of the lowest payrolls in ALL OF FBS. ADJB is doing his part. HCBK is laying the foundation from lessons learned from O'Leary and Saban.
What are you doing to help this team? Leaving negative comments and wishing for another coach who wasn't and will never come here, on a public forum for future recruits and their families to read. Bravo.

Go Tech & THWg!
Amen. I know several people that do well, but don’t buy season tickets or donate. I know several UGA folks who are in their McGill Society, meaning they’ve pledged $25k. We get what we value. Our fan base is very stingy with their financial support, but they want to complain just like these other fanbases. Either put up or shut up.

JacketFan137

Banned
Amen. I know several people that do well, but don’t buy season tickets or donate. I know several UGA folks who are in their McGill Society, meaning they’ve pledged $25k. We get what we value. Our fan base is very stingy with their financial support, but they want to complain just like these other fanbases. Either put up or shut up.
we have a lot of people who seem conservative with their money and need proof before they attend games and donate. unfortunately the fastest way to get going is to have that money now, so many of those people are probably never gonna donate

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'd say most of the complainers are probably contributors. I'd posit that most of the people who hold onto their money aren't really interested in our athletics teams, so don't really donate to that side of the university.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I'd say most of the complainers are probably contributors. I'd posit that most of the people that hold onto their money aren't really fans of the athletics.
I know several guys in my circle that do well, but they don’t buy tickets nor donate. I place blame at the GTAA’s feet, as well. For many, many years they have been lazy about reaching out and showing love. They pretty much just relied on the Tom Fannings to stroke big checks. We are leaving a lot of money on the sidelines. Need to broaden the base.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
We complain about money, but are we doing our part? How many on here have seen "I'll give money when x happens." "I'm giving up my season tix because x."

All of us SHOULD be both GTAA donors and Tech Way subscribers. I understand money issues, I have them myself, but we as fans have to put our money where our mouth is.

Those guys on the field who didn't give up last night should inspire the fans who always give up. Our fans need to reflect our team. Most of yall had us at 3-2 at the end of the month and guess what, that's what we'll be. We have several winnable games remaining.

We have a top 25ish recruiting class ready for next year. Key is more real than TFG, and I feel that will help team chemistry. On air last night, one of the commentators asked Key what was one of the biggest changes he instituted last year, and HCBK said, let them wear earrings. Let them express themselves. Being a disciplined players coach will attract more talent than run off.

Look, im tired of losing just like most anyone here, BUT you have to give it time. We have one of the lowest payrolls in ALL OF FBS. ADJB is doing his part. HCBK is laying the foundation from lessons learned from O'Leary and Saban.
What are you doing to help this team? Leaving negative comments and wishing for another coach who wasn't and will never come here, on a public forum for future recruits and their families to read. Bravo.

Go Tech & THWg!

I never said you were demanding anything. I repeated your words verbatim.

As for the complaining, saying people should not complain, but rather pay more money when you do not know their financial situation or how much any person already gives seems extremely presumptuous. People are going to complain. You can ignore it or accept it, but it is not going to stop. Giving money is personal choice.
This may seem a little tongue-in-cheek, but I'm actually serious. Because this topic comes up a lot on this board.
I think there is a bit of talking past each other going on because you both have valid points.
Parsing the situation, we have two variables and four possible positions, so it's easy to misconstrue what the underlying issue is. So, it's either:
A. You choose to donate and don’t complain.
B. You choose to donate and complain.
C. You choose to not donate and not complain.
D. You choose to not donate but still complain.

All are valid positions to take, but I believe the frustration stems from the “D” type of fan. “I’m not giving another dime until they hire a good coach and start winning games” is a common refrain, despite the logical disconnect between cause and effect. It's similar to the psychology behind the “Buy High/Sell Low” tendency for those who dabble but fail in the stock market. Again, it's a valid position to take, but frustrating for other fans who believe that you need to feed the program in order for it to be healthy.

In today’s game more than ever, it takes a lot of $$ to be competitive. Even so, most fans want to see a return on their investment. So there needs to be an expectation that your donations will not be wasted. Personally, I didn't stop donating during the previous regime, but I became more focused on infrastructure and scholarships rather than the salary pool. Now, I’m seeing real progress in some areas, but still a long way to go. I am hoping other fans see the progress and open their wallets, but understand that it is a personal choice and won't hold it against them if they don't.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I didn't expect to beat Ole Miss. I thought we had a good chance against Louisville but we couldn't make stops in the second half. If we lose to WF, I have concerns about the fragility of this team for the rest of the season. We easily could end up with 3 or 4 wins. Last year a mid season coaching change gave the team a spark and a new attitude.
Recruiting for next year is pretty much over. We need help and lots of it on defense. Is it lack of ability or coaching? Can we hit the portal for DL help? I do know we have a record of our DC's performance for 5 years and that isn't pretty. We have ranked near the bottom on defense within all of D1 metrics every year with him. What will make him get better? Is he a protege of our previous HC who was his mentor? Key doesn't have time nor IMO the patience to allow this to continue unless there is an unexpected turnaround.
I feel better now.
"Is it a lack of ability or coaching?" A perennial puzzler for disgruntled fan bases of all stripes. Personally, I am more inclined to say it is simply a lack of ability. We had three really good athletes on defense last year and lost all of them plus a couple of others. Maybe UGA and Clemson can reload following those losses but we can't. IIWII