Question for y"all

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Thinking What GIF by Warwick Brown
I'm confused. Must be the new math.

slugboy

Staff member
I wish I was absolutely convinced that Key is the guy the way some of you are. Not predicting failure or anything like that because it's way too early to be talking like that. But to this point I haven't seen much that fills me with the kind of optimism I'm seeing from some here.
I don’t have a great answer for you here. Key has done some things I like, such as bringing in a line coach who knows a different style of blocking because he wants a wide open offense. I was happy he called the fake punt, because he’s been too conservative and it’s cost us points.

The offense looks like it can be a really good offense next year.

Overall results aren’t there yet. Starting the year 1-2 might be expected, but it’s not encouraging.

In the first game, I could look at the defense and say “maybe Louisville is really good” and “maybe it’s first game jitters”. In game 2, I was discouraged. In game 3, there are some lowlights. Three games is a trend. Defense needs attention.

It’s early to judge. It’s not a great grade so far, but there’s time to get this season going in the right direction.

The first thing to do is improve the defense. The second is to get a P5 win.

But we haven’t proven anything yet. Confidence is for when we’ve proven something.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t have a great answer for you here. Key has done some things I like, such as bringing in a line coach who knows a different style of blocking because he wants a wide open offense. I was happy he called the fake punt, because he’s been too conservative and it’s cost us points.

The offense looks like it can be a really good offense next year.

Overall results aren’t there yet. Starting the year 1-2 might be expected, but it’s not encouraging.

In the first game, I could look at the defense and say “maybe Louisville is really good” and “maybe it’s first game jitters”. In game 2, I was discouraged. In game 3, there are some lowlights. Three games is a trend. Defense needs attention.

It’s early to judge. It’s not a great grade so far, but there’s time to get this season going in the right direction.

The first thing to do is improve the defense. The second is to get a P5 win.

But we haven’t proven anything yet. Confidence is for when we’ve proven something.
CBK has said something several times that really sums up the focus: he's more concerned about doing what we're supposed to be doing versus what the other team is doing. That sounds like coach speak, but it's not. It shows in some of the changes we've seen.

If you're always playing reactionary football, you'll very quickly find yourself playing outside of your team's strengths. CBK has centered the focus on "do what we do and do it well". The low penalty numbers, the effective offense, the low turnover numbers, etc - we are focused on developing our team identity and doing it well.

There's still a lot to clean up and lot of improvement that's needed. But fixing things with this mindset helps to bulldoze past failures and center the focus back on what we want to do. It's GREAT coaching.