QB Johnson injured - UPDATE

slugboy

Staff member
I truly think he'd be the one lighting it up right now had he not gotten hurt. Just seemed to be a leader/winner from his high school film. Granted I'm no Mel Kiper.

Is Mel Kiper a Mel Kiper? I have no idea how accurate those guys are (but I have my guesses)

On topic, I didn’t realize it was that kind of surgery; for some reason I wasn’t thinking he’d end up in a hospital bed. I should have, but the picture in post op brings it home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I thought that too. And after seeing alot more of LJ on film, I don't see why he came here to be a part of this offense. I think it will be LJ leaving after next year if he doesn't get meaningful PT. He seems to be a player and a potential bad *** starter for a D1 school that doesn't run our offense. His arm is miles ahead of Marshall and Oliver but Marshall is gone after this year, right?

I think he’s our starter next season if his knee is healed up.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Lucas came to Georgia Tech because he ran that offense in high school...

Mount Carmel coach John Anderson on Johnson’s flexibility and range as a quarterback:

“He came up as a freshman and incidentally he ran the same offense that Georgia Tech runs, primarily with the flexbone. We ran the flexbone (at Mt. Carmel), modeled after Georgia Tech, for about six years. When Lucas came up, he ran it his freshman year, and his arm strength was such and our athletes that we have here at Mt. Carmel indicated that we needed to throw the ball a little more. Subsequently that developed his arm strength, and that’s what I think one of his best attributes is at this point. Naturally, he’s a great runner, so he’s going to fit in with the offense that coach (Paul) Johnson runs at Georgia Tech. But he’s a duel-threat with the legs and the arm. And not just the down-field throw, but the intermediate, the short throw, the throw up the middle, he’s the total package.”

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Mount Carmel coach John Anderson on Johnson’s flexibility and range as a quarterback:

“He came up as a freshman and incidentally he ran the same offense that Georgia Tech runs, primarily with the flexbone. We ran the flexbone (at Mt. Carmel), modeled after Georgia Tech, for about six years. When Lucas came up, he ran it his freshman year, and his arm strength was such and our athletes that we have here at Mt. Carmel indicated that we needed to throw the ball a little more. Subsequently that developed his arm strength, and that’s what I think one of his best attributes is at this point. Naturally, he’s a great runner, so he’s going to fit in with the offense that coach (Paul) Johnson runs at Georgia Tech. But he’s a duel-threat with the legs and the arm. And not just the down-field throw, but the intermediate, the short throw, the throw up the middle, he’s the total package.”
Have you seen much tape of him under center? I haven't and it seems like every video is of him in a shotgun, throwing, and/or taking off on a sprint when the protection breaks down. I didn't see the spring game but perhaps he's taken a shine to being under center.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Have you seen much tape of him under center? I haven't and it seems like every video is of him in a shotgun, throwing, and/or taking off on a sprint when the protection breaks down. I didn't see the spring game but perhaps he's taken a shine to being under center.

Lucas ran the flex his freshman and sophmore year. Usually those highlights don't end up on huddle. I have always been really excited for him in both spring games he just has the footwork down so well. When he throws its a tight spiral and he knows where to put the ball plus he has the height to do it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

So Lucas's coach saw that he could weaponize his arm and help the team...and changed the offense after Lucas's FRESHMAN year to maximize a player's talent?

Novel idea.

GTFootball2018

Georgia Tech Fan
My understanding is if he had not already redshirted he could get it but rules have been tightened and it is no longer a given if you already "voluntarily" redshirted.
Lucas would just need to petition the NCAA for a medical redshirt. He didn’t play in a game this season, so most likely he would get it...that would leave him with three years to play.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
My understanding is if he had not already redshirted he could get it but rules have been tightened and it is no longer a given if you already "voluntarily" redshirted.

I have a slightly different understanding. The medical redshirt after previously taking a voluntary redshirt is still obtainable. The difference now is that the requirements are even more strict, and they were pretty strict even before the rule change.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
If he hadn’t had already redshirted he wouldn’t need a medical redshirt. He could just redshirt if I’m not mistaken.

Yes, that is how it has worked in practice. I suppose one could still apply for the medical redshirt, but I suspect that it would not be granted.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes, that is how it has worked in practice. I suppose one could still apply for the medical redshirt, but I suspect that it would not be granted.

He took a legit redshirt year as a freshman. He got live snaps in RS-Fr. year. He was hurt for season before taking a snap this year. You apply for a medical redshirt during your senior year. I suspect, if LJ is still here then, he will apply for that and receive it, no problem.

PTCjacket

Banned
CPJ tried morphing the offense around the strengths of his hyped qb once before remember?

that was a real half assed attempt to do so, though.

Camden County was a notorious wing-t program, and when Bryce Ramsey was there they incorporated a spread component to their offense while keeping the wing-t.

It appears that high schools are able to successfully adapt to fit their players strengths, but not Tech (and Johnson).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
that was a real half assed attempt to do so, though.

Camden County was a notorious wing-t program, and when Bryce Ramsey was there they incorporated a spread component to their offense while keeping the wing-t.

It appears that high schools are able to successfully adapt to fit their players strengths, but not Tech (and Johnson).
Tobias would have a bone to pick with that I imagine.