QB Johnson injured - UPDATE

PTCjacket

Banned
Tobias would have a bone to pick with that I imagine.

I read my post, read your post, and read them both again. I have no clue what this means or how it relates to what I said. Please explain.

If you are talking about Johnson slightly tailoring his gameplan against VT to Oliver's strengths, then I disagree. Limiting the script of plays due to a player's inexperience is not the same. If we ran with that same gameplan for a full season, you aren't going to see the same results game after game. If that's not what you were referring to, then I go back to my first paragraphn in this post lol.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I read my post, read your post, and read them both again. I have no clue what this means or how it relates to what I said. Please explain.

If you are talking about Johnson slightly tailoring his gameplan against VT to Oliver's strengths, then I disagree. Limiting the script of plays due to a player's inexperience is not the same. If we ran with that same gameplan for a full season, you aren't going to see the same results game after game. If that's not what you were referring to, then I go back to my first paragraphn in this post lol.
My point is that coach is creative with his offense and tailors it to the strengths of his quarterbacks unlike what you suggested.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
that was a real half assed attempt to do so, though.

Camden County was a notorious wing-t program, and when Bryce Ramsey was there they incorporated a spread component to their offense while keeping the wing-t.

It appears that high schools are able to successfully adapt to fit their players strengths, but not Tech (and Johnson).
In high school, a coach's roster typically is limited to whoever attends the school. In college, the coach recruits the players that best fit the team's needs. Therefore, a high school coach would be more likely to adjust the system to the talent than a college coach would.

Obviously, some high schools recruit as well, but that is an exception to the norm.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It appears that high schools are able to successfully adapt to fit their players strengths, but not Tech (and Johnson).

Are you forgetting that HS players don't take calculus???!! ;):whistle: Sorry, had to do it. Hadn't seen the word on the board in a matter of days. FWIW, I would like to see a correlation between the frequency of this word and the previous week's FB result. I bet the r value to be strong (.8 "ish).

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think if Lucas hadn't been injured he might be our starter at QB today. Next year - if the way we've been recruiting is any indication - we will pass more. Whether that will mean good things for Lucas after all the game experience Tobias is getting this year is … up to Lucas. There's no denying that he has excellent talent. I hope he realizes his potential next spring and then next season, but Lord knows he has some competition. I don't envy Coach his decision on who our QB is next year, but he's probably licking his chops and asking himself how he can make a bad decision out of that group.

But let's beat UNC and the rest of them before we get down to that.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a slightly different understanding. The medical redshirt after previously taking a voluntary redshirt is still obtainable. The difference now is that the requirements are even more strict, and they were pretty strict even before the rule change.

This is a common misperception. The "medical redshirt" is/was the ability to apply to use your one redshirt season for a season in which you already played, but played less than 1/3 of the season due to injury. This was basically made defunct by the new 4 game redshirt rule. There is no such thing as a second red shirt year.

After he has exhausted his eligibility, he could petition for a "medical hardship waiver" to extend his eligibility an additional year. These are commonly granted if the circumstances meet basic criteria. i.e. a documented injury during competition forcing the player to miss more than 2/3 of one of their 4 seasons of eligibility.

However, a student athlete has a 5 year window in which to use their 4 seasons of eligibility**. So, Lucas (GT on his behalf) would have to apply for a medical hardship waiver and a waiver of the five year clock. There is no NCAA rule governing this. It is a waiver of NCAA rules granted by the committee on a case-by-case basis. Usually a player only can get this if they miss two seasons due to reasons "beyond their control". Since Lucas previously 'voluntarily' red shirted, an additional season is unlikely to be granted. Ken S had a decent write up on this related to Tim Byerly after 2015*** (His waiver was denied, in a similar situation to LJ's)

Also, this could only happen after completion of his final season. He'd have to remain in school for an indefinite period to wait for the NCAA to decide if he can have a sixth year. A lot of players decide 5 years is enough and they don't want to hang around in limbo waiting for the NCAA to decide their fate.

Decent (though unofficial) summary of the rules: https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

**Division I five-year clock definition from the NCAA: http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms
***https://www.myajc.com/blog/georgia-...byerly-waiver-process/fdOc8otE6TpW5gmcH1XvrJ/

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This is a common misperception. The "medical redshirt" is/was the ability to apply to use your one redshirt season for a season in which you already played, but played less than 1/3 of the season due to injury. This was basically made defunct by the new 4 game redshirt rule. There is no such thing as a second red shirt year.

After he has exhausted his eligibility, he could petition for a "medical hardship waiver" to extend his eligibility an additional year. These are commonly granted if the circumstances meet basic criteria. i.e. a documented injury during competition forcing the player to miss more than 2/3 of one of their 4 seasons of eligibility.

However, a student athlete has a 5 year window in which to use their 4 seasons of eligibility**. So, Lucas (GT on his behalf) would have to apply for a medical hardship waiver and a waiver of the five year clock. There is no NCAA rule governing this. It is a waiver of NCAA rules granted by the committee on a case-by-case basis. Usually a player only can get this if they miss two seasons due to reasons "beyond their control". Since Lucas previously 'voluntarily' red shirted, an additional season is unlikely to be granted. Ken S had a decent write up on this related to Tim Byerly after 2015*** (His waiver was denied, in a similar situation to LJ's)

Also, this could only happen after completion of his final season. He'd have to remain in school for an indefinite period to wait for the NCAA to decide if he can have a sixth year. A lot of players decide 5 years is enough and they don't want to hang around in limbo waiting for the NCAA to decide their fate.

Decent (though unofficial) summary of the rules: https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

**Division I five-year clock definition from the NCAA: http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms
***https://www.myajc.com/blog/georgia-...byerly-waiver-process/fdOc8otE6TpW5gmcH1XvrJ/

The committee that makes decisions about this is very inconsistent. There are cases where most people assume the waiver will be granted in which it isn't, and there are cases that nobody believes will be granted in which it is. There does not appear to be any hard or fast rules about what does/does not constitute being eligible for this waiver.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He beat the pants off of Virginia tech at their formidable home with a quarterback who knows a quarter of the offense. I’ll take that any day of the week.

Still not the equivalent of changing and incorporating schemes to tailor differential talent.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Still not the equivalent of changing and incorporating schemes to tailor differential talent.
If you want to see a coach who is willing to modify his offense to utilize the talents of key players (or QB’s) then look no further than Nick Saban. He has migrated from a power running offense to a wide open passing offense. He didn’t give it lip service or tweak things, he went all in......

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If you want to see a coach who is willing to modify his offense to utilize the talents of key players (or QB’s) then look no further than Nick Saban. He has migrated from a power running offense to a wide open passing offense. He didn’t give it lip service or tweak things, he went all in......

Man y’all had me go back and revisit Vad Lee. Look at those formations. Oh my Gawd a forward pass....

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
that was a real half assed attempt to do so, though.

Camden County was a notorious wing-t program, and when Bryce Ramsey was there they incorporated a spread component to their offense while keeping the wing-t.

Are you forgetting that HS players don't take calculus???!! ;):whistle: Sorry, had to do it. Hadn't seen the word on the board in a matter of days. FWIW, I would like to see a correlation between the frequency of this word and the previous week's FB result. I bet the r value to be strong (.8 "ish).
Now that's GT funny!

Yoda

Helluva Engineer

Last I remember doing it was Case Keenum