QB battle

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure you know this, but just to clarify, that doesn't just look like GT's offense. That IS GT's offense. Johnson started coaching offense for a run and shoot team, with run and shoot personnel, and decided to run option out of the run and shoot. If the option is the heart of PJ's offense, the run and shoot is the skeleton.

Yup. Tracy Ham talks about it in a video I posted a couple of weeks ago.

Something inside CPJ WANTS to show more of the RnS part of his offense. Lucas just may be the guy to get that going.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Something inside CPJ WANTS to show more of the RnS part of his offense. Lucas just may be the guy to get that going.
I swear if I see you put Lucas name on this site one more time......... :rolleyes: lol

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm like 90% sure I remember seeing somewhere that the optimum aerodynamic delivery actually has a slight wobble off of a perfect spiral, that served as an offset for the laces. Instantly, they say Drew Brees threw the ball perfectly for aerodynamic purposes.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'm like 90% sure I remember seeing somewhere that the optimum aerodynamic delivery actually has a slight wobble off of a perfect spiral, that served as an offset for the laces. Instantly, they say Drew Brees threw the ball perfectly for aerodynamic purposes.

I saw the same thing. But I'm not sure the wobble was for aerodynamics. Maybe catchability?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I think he wants to win more than he wants to pass. Also, the Vad experiment proved one thing, there's only so much time in practice. You can only rep so much and be good at it.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
One drop in particular has scarred my memory.

giphy.gif

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Now the real question begins. Which one of the QBs best positions us for adidas uniforms next season? We should think about t meh future of this program and be proactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think he wants to win more than he wants to pass. Also, the Vad experiment proved one thing, there's only so much time in practice. You can only rep so much and be good at it.

**YAWN**

CPJ has said over and over they practice passing the ball quite a bit. In fact, he verbally abused a reporter for trying to accuse CPJ for not practicing passing enough as to why we don't pass well.

Part of being a good passer is innate. You're either gifted physically (ability to throw the ball) and mentally (knowing where and when to throw and how to attack defenses) or you're not. LJ is a good passer, and it's innate in him. Anyone can tell. Vad was a good passer, but CPJ's "problem" was he was trying to be too exotic with the Pistol and Diamond formation. As @ilovetheoption the pointed out, the RnS is in the DNA of our offense, and it's a type of passing offense that can be devastating. There's really not much we need to tweak to make it effective, and even within our offense. Over time CPJ can tweak the reads off the routes, or he can put in a "shotgun" package (which, BTW, we already have) that has the BB in next to the QB for pass pro or leak out to the flats. We can add timing throws (like the back shoulder), but there's not much we really need to do that's not already in our playbook.

Does that mean CPJ is gonna throw it 30+ times a game? No, but I have no doubt CPJ wants to take advantage of the skill players we have and the talented passing QB he already has. BTW, I don't know if you've noticed, but CPJ offers quite a few of the talented dual threat QBs that pass just as well as they run. I don't think he's doing that to seem them run midlines and pitch the ball backwards all game. CPJ wants to see his QBs be successful passing the ball forward as well...otherwise, why would he have entertained the "Vad thing" in the first place?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
**YAWN**

CPJ has said over and over they practice passing the ball quite a bit. In fact, he verbally abused a reporter for trying to accuse CPJ for not practicing passing enough as to why we don't pass well.

Part of being a good passer is innate. You're either gifted physically (ability to throw the ball) and mentally (knowing where and when to throw and how to attack defenses) or you're not. LJ is a good passer, and it's innate in him. Anyone can tell. Vad was a good passer, but CPJ's "problem" was he was trying to be too exotic with the Pistol and Diamond formation. As @ilovetheoption the pointed out, the RnS is in the DNA of our offense, and it's a type of passing offense that can be devastating. There's really not much we need to tweak to make it effective, and even within our offense. Over time CPJ can tweak the reads off the routes, or he can put in a "shotgun" package (which, BTW, we already have) that has the BB in next to the QB for pass pro or leak out to the flats. We can add timing throws (like the back shoulder), but there's not much we really need to do that's not already in our playbook.

Does that mean CPJ is gonna throw it 30+ times a game? No, but I have no doubt CPJ wants to take advantage of the skill players we have and the talented passing QB he already has. BTW, I don't know if you've noticed, but CPJ offers quite a few of the talented dual threat QBs that pass just as well as they run. I don't think he's doing that to seem them run midlines and pitch the ball backwards all game. CPJ wants to see his QBs be successful passing the ball forward as well...otherwise, why would he have entertained the "Vad thing" in the first place?
Who said we didn't practice throwing the ball? It's a part of our offense, but a small part. Practice time has to be devoted proportionately. The more time you start devoting to one aspect, the others suffer.

Especially now with a new qb and bback and fairly new center. I highly doubt we will spend time learning new plays. That's what wrinkles are, plays.

Here's a pod cast of a guy describing just the footwork involved in the basic option offense plays. Just the footwork.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/backup-pod...den.com/login/audio-17/17831/Recording(2).m4a

"Mediocrity is the enemy of the football coach. If you do too many things at once, you’ll be mediocre at all of them."
-Lou Cella

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Who said we didn't practice throwing the ball? It's a part of our offense, but a small part. Practice time has to be devoted proportionately. The more time you start devoting to one aspect, the others suffer.

Especially now with a new qb and bback and fairly new center. I highly doubt we will spend time learning new plays. That's what wrinkles are, plays.

Here's a pod cast of a guy describing just the footwork involved in the basic option offense plays. Just the footwork.

<audio controls>
<source src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/backup-pod...den.com/login/audio-17/17831/Recording(2).m4a"
type='audio/m4a'>
</audio><a href="http://www.podcastgarden.com/episod...-option-the-rocket-toss-and-triple-pass_80832" target="_blank"><br />powered by podcast garden</a>

LOL...you're always making it sound like our offense is this impossible calculus that requires a PHD to master. Our offense isn't anymore complicated than other offenses, and our QBs aren't asked to read defenses anymore than any other offense. Heck, considering the limited ways defenses can line up against us, I'd argue our system makes reads easier for our QBs. ALL offenses require their QBs to have certain footwork. If you look at the breakdown of reads QBs need to do for any other offense, it would be similarly complex to ours.

We don't recruit dummies to GT.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
LOL...you're always making it sound like our offense is this impossible calculus that requires a PHD to master. Our offense isn't anymore complicated than other offenses, and our QBs aren't asked to read defenses anymore than any other offense. Heck, considering the limited ways defenses can line up against us, I'd argue our system makes reads easier for our QBs. ALL offenses require their QBs to have certain footwork. If you look at the breakdown of reads QBs need to do for any other offense, it would be similarly complex to ours.

We don't recruit dummies to GT.
Our O is extremely dependent on timing, spacing and synchronicity to be successful. This is why it usually sputters in the early season, even with a veteran running the show. It takes game reps to gain this mastery. 'Keep it simple stupid' is a very tried and true phrase and it's especially true for our O in the early going. It's even more true with a newbie at qb. (rhyme not intended, but I like it!)

Oh, and a newbie at Bback and fairly newbie at center.

If you'll remember, we had this type of scenario last year in Blacksburg. CPJ kept it simple and look what happened. Yeah, the D balled out, but we sure as heck didn't get fancy on O.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Our O is extremely dependent on timing, spacing and synchronicity to be successful. This is why it usually sputters in the early season, even with a veteran running the show. It takes game reps to gain this mastery. 'Keep it simple stupid' is a very tried and true phrase and it's especially true for our O in the early going. It's even more true with a newbie at qb. (rhyme not intended, but I like it!)

If you'll remember, we had this type of scenario last year in Blacksburg. CPJ kept it simple and look what happened. Yeah, the D balled out, but we sure as heck didn't get fancy on O.

What system isn't dependant on timing? That's all offenses. Our offense is not unique.

This is college. Players change every year. Coaches need to replace veterans with newbies every year. Nature of the beast. Coaches that are successful are the ones who develop and have a plan in place.

We're not anymore (or less) unique in those regard than anyone else.

Deleted member 2897

Liked for the rhyming of 'newbie at qb'.

Deleted member 2897

What system isn't dependant on timing? That's all offenses. Our offense is not unique.

This is college. Players change every year. Coaches need to replace veterans with newbies every year. Nature of the beast. Coaches that are successful are the ones who develop and have a plan in place.

We're not anymore (or less) unique in those regard than anyone else.

Right. I mean, we're basically a wishbone formation, except the strong side is obfuscated until an AB goes in motion. Its not that different from a spread offense or run and shoot. Our ABs are all purpose backs who frequently play WR in high school. The only reason we don't throw on every down (or most of them) is that CPJ prefers to call runs. But the passing plays are there.

I just rewatched the Duke game from last year again. On our last series when it was 3rd and 19 and Duke might get the ball back on a punt with 2 minutes left, the announcers were talking about how scary of a position Duke was in at that point with Justin Thomas under center. I mean that is just a stupid idiot comment. The stuff people say about our offense - it can't come from behind down 2 touchdowns very often, it doesn't do well in 3rd and long - its the same crap you could say for any other team. People way over think this stuff in my opinion.