QB battle

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's gotta be on target, on time and catchable to be a "great ball," not just a spiral.
Agree, and thats why I say the spring game imo isn't a good indicator of him being a good passer or not. Guys on the team have said he throws the best ball. I think he's a better passer than a lot of people on here think. Only time will tell though.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So, I'm not as high on JJ as the rest of us. For starters, I KNOW this is a small sample size, and I KNOW I could be entirely wrong, I KNOW this...but I watched the spring game, and JJ was more than unimpressive as a passer.

Like the ball security is one thing. You can improve that, but you can't become a passer.

Throwing is not passing. JJ has a strong arm, nobody contests that, but he missed BADLY on a couple of throws that should have been easy completions. What's worse is that they weren't just inaccurate throws, they were the wrong KIND of throws.

This is the spring game:

Here are JJ's throws
1:07:36 This isn't just a little off..this is bazooka'd over he head of an open receiver. He didn't need to drill this. This is an easy pitch and catch. (for comparison, look at 1:29:00)
1:15:42 I mean....again, that's not a misread, which you can work on, or a defender made a great play...that's just an airball.
1:34:30 Meh. This is a deep miss, which happens. This one doesn't bother me as much.
1:37:40 Nice. This is a deep out, which means you need to bazooka it in there, and he did.
1:40:00 Runs around in the backfield and finds a guy underneath. Playground play, and his biggest passing play of the night.
1:41:47 Runs around in the backfield and lobs it up for an interception. Playground play, and his worst passing play of the night.

That's not being a passer, and it doesn't scream to me "this guy is going to develop into even a Justin Thomas level passer, who can at least hit an open A back streaking down the seam when the defense overcommits to stop the run".

It looks like a dude who doesn't have the passing instincts (something that I think you don't generally develop this late in your career) to ever be even a marginal passer.

You can't base a passing game around "run around and see if somebody gets open". That's backyard stuff.

This is why i'm not sold on JJ as the future.

1:07:36 was barley high and definitely needed zip, the defender from behind would have had a chance for a major hit with a simple pitch and catch, you want the ball to get in the WR's hands on that so he can turn upfield. He was also on the run. That is a simple mistake that a lot of QB's make, but he will definitely need to make that throw, because it is not a super hard throw.

1:15:42 was a bad throw, idk if he saw 20 coming and didn't want to throw it to the inside shoulder, but it wasn't a good throw at all.

1:34:30 Like you said a deep ball, and that happens sometimes. But it was still a good looking pass and was barley over thrown.

1:37:40 shows the ability to be a good passer, set his feet, and threw a very good pass where only the WR could get it. I think this is an indicator that he can be a good passer and it shows those other passes don't mean he's a kid that can't pass good.

1:40:00 same thing you said. I'd say the throw before was actually a better pass though (it's a more difficult throw) again this shows he has the ability.

1:41:47 was a hailmarry, there's a reason its called that and they very rarely are caught. It was a desperate throw for a W lol. How do you use that as an indicator that he's not a good passer? And it was tipped for the int, it's not like it was majorly underthrown or anything like that for the pick.

So we have 2 good passes, 1 really bad throw, 2 overthrown barley, and 1 hailmarry.

There should be no reason we look at this and say he's not a good passer imo. Especially when he had been injured and was probably a tad rusty from not practicing. JMO, not arguing so please don't take it that way.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Shamire = Refrigerator Perry ... it worked for the DaBears in the Super Bowl.

Good thing ... whoever starts, it's good to have options !!

This worked but was one of the biggest travesties in NFL play calling I have ever seen. Walter Payton carried that offense on his back. Only to be denied the ball by Ditka in short and goal....such a dumbace move.

Just thinking about it puts me in a foul mood.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
1:41:47 was a hailmarry, there's a reason its called that and they very rarely are caught. It was a desperate throw for a W lol. How do you use that as an indicator that he's not a good passer? And it was tipped for the int, it's not like it was majorly underthrown or anything like that for the pick.

"1:41:47 Runs around in the backfield and lobs it up for an interception. Playground play, and his worst passing play of the night."

After the scrimmage, CPJ noted that Jay did what he was supposed to do on the play -- give Jalen a chance. Executing on a hail mary was hardly his "worst passing play of a night".

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
1:07:36 was barley high and definitely needed zip, the defender from behind would have had a chance for a major hit with a simple pitch and catch, you want the ball to get in the WR's hands on that so he can turn upfield. He was also on the run. That is a simple mistake that a lot of QB's make, but he will definitely need to make that throw, because it is not a super hard throw.

1:15:42 was a bad throw, idk if he saw 20 coming and didn't want to throw it to the inside shoulder, but it wasn't a good throw at all.

1:34:30 Like you said a deep ball, and that happens sometimes. But it was still a good looking pass and was barley over thrown.

1:37:40 shows the ability to be a good passer, set his feet, and threw a very good pass where only the WR could get it. I think this is an indicator that he can be a good passer and it shows those other passes don't mean he's a kid that can't pass good.

1:40:00 same thing you said. I'd say the throw before was actually a better pass though (it's a more difficult throw) again this shows he has the ability.

So we have 2 good passes, 1 really bad throw, 2 overthrown barley, and 1 hailmarry.

There should be no reason we look at this and say he's not a good passer imo. Especially when he had been injured and was probably a tad rusty from not practicing. JMO, not arguing so please don't take it that way.
Well have to agree to disagree. I'm willing to bend in the hail Mary, but not on the first throw or the scramble completion.

That's fine, though, reasonable minds can disagree, and if jj is the guy, I'll be rooting hard for him.

bass ackwards

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah I didn't forget about him. It was in regards to the passing game in general, whether it be the QB or receiver. One of my favorite plays of the CPJ era was the guaranteed 5 yd gain off the screen to DT where he just puts the CB's head in the ground.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I didn't forget about him. It was in regards to the passing game in general, whether it be the QB or receiver. One of my favorite plays of the CPJ era was the guaranteed 5 yd gain off the screen to DT where he just puts the CB's head in the ground.
You said smelter was the first WR you felt comfortable with when the ball was thrown in his zip code.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So what's all this noise I'm making about LJ? I posted this video in his recruiting thread in 2016:

Anything look familiar? Hmm, slot receivers are in the same spot as our ABs, RB is in the same spot as our BBs, Big tall WRs out wide, QB under center. Kinda looks like our offense doesn't it? Now, with a skillset like LJ's under center, it appears CPJ has the QB to do things similar to this:

CPJ was the OC for that game. Get excited folks. LJ under center is going to be fun to watch.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So what's all this noise I'm making about LJ? I posted this video in his recruiting thread in 2016:

Anything look familiar? Hmm, slot receivers are in the same spot as our ABs, RB is in the same spot as our BBs, Big tall WRs out wide, QB under center. Kinda looks like our offense doesn't it? Now, with a skillset like LJ's under center, it appears CPJ has the QB to do things similar to this:

CPJ was the OC for that game. Get excited folks. LJ under center is going to be fun to watch.

LOL, I watched the 1990 BYU Hawaii game today for the same reason.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

I'm sure you know this, but just to clarify, that doesn't just look like GT's offense. That IS GT's offense. Johnson started coaching offense for a run and shoot team, with run and shoot personnel, and decided to run option out of the run and shoot. If the option is the heart of PJ's offense, the run and shoot is the skeleton.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

If you keep bringing up "barley", I'm going to raid stech81's cooler!

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow

. . .

I love that "stack" of WRs you see in parts of the above clip. I remember in PJ's last game as Navy OC in '96, before he took the Georgia Southern HC job, he surprised California in the Aloha Bowl with the formation. Just read the linked article for effective Navy was when throwing out of that formation: http://archives.starbulletin.com/96/12/30/sports/kwon.html

Also saw a shovel pass from Hawaii. Has Tech used a shovel pass since CPJ has been here? Not only do I not remember Tech doing it with PJ, offhand I don't recall Navy doing it under PJ either -- but hardcore fans with better memories might remember otherwise.

Last edited: