QB battle

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Dederick started and did great as a true freshman bb partly because of his athleticism and partly because he's had jt as qb.

If dederick is improved he could help a young athletic qb break on to scene

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
QBs that play in the Tn game may be determined by who is 100% healthy, rather than having a winner for the job, after 4 weeks of grueling competition....since at this point
''all are doing well" and about even in performance as far as we know. A good situation to be in! And TN has no idea which QB to practice for. Unlike with JeT I suspect CPJ will not hang a yellow shirt on the QBs in the Fall Camp. What do you think?

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
I ACTUALLY LIKE Matthew Jordan....But honestly, I hope someone BEATS OUT Matthew. This just means that our QB situation is in GREAT shape for 4 years. Now I do believe MJ will be more than just a game manager and can win some big ball games. But if one of the other guys can come in and TAKE it from him then lookout. And even if he's BEATEN OUT he's shown that he's a team guy and will do whatever it takes to help the team win.

I ACTUALLY LIKE Matthew Jordan....But honestly, I hope someone BEATS OUT Matthew. This just means that our QB situation is in GREAT shape for 4 years. Now I do believe MJ will be more than just a game manager and can win some big ball games. But if one of the other guys can come in and TAKE it from him then lookout. And even if he's BEATEN OUT he's shown that he's a team guy and will do whatever it takes to help the team win.
Yeah id say hes more than a game manager. Wout his starting center and #1 b back he went to red neckville and punched the gobblers in the face repeatedly. Matt will be our starter all year and will give us the best chance to win. If he does get beat out, then we have a stud qb on the roster. Win win for us.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If we get behind in the UT game and they are handling the option if MJ is the starter does he get pulled for one of these other QBs? Is it JJ? I think UT will load the box and force us to beat them throwing based on VT game. MJ will need to prove he can pass. That's assuming he is healthy enough to play by then.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If we get behind in the UT game and they are handling the option if MJ is the starter does he get pulled for one of these other QBs? Is it JJ? I think UT will load the box and force us to beat them throwing based on VT game. MJ will need to prove he can pass. That's assuming he is healthy enough to play by then.

IMO the offense will be OK against Tn. Key to the game is how is our D? We need a 2016 VT or Kentucky game on D.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Neither team (UT or GT) have a proven big play QB and both did last year. They were behind so many times last year that backup didn't get a lot of time. I hope MJ experience gives us an advantage at QB. JT could make a broken pass play into a TD or big gainer. Not sure MJ will ever be able to do that. He doesn't go down as easily as JT but can he scramble?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not worried about QB rushing, or the ability to throw it deep.....at all. The biggest thing, as others have stated, is making the right reads in the run game and pass game. 2nd most important is being able to complete those 3rd and long pass plays JT was so good at, those back shoulder throws and such.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
They may stack the middle, but unless they have at least one outstanding -- all-SEC caliber -- linebacker, they will get chewed up. Whoever is QB doesn't have to be a great passer. Stack the box and get D-backs one-on-one with our wideouts who can go make a play and in-the-area passes will go big.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
They may stack the middle, but unless they have at least one outstanding -- all-SEC caliber -- linebacker, they will get chewed up. Whoever is QB doesn't have to be a great passer. Stack the box and get D-backs one-on-one with our wideouts who can go make a play and in-the-area passes will go big.
I hope we go back to targeting the MLB instead of letting him run free.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Darrin Kirkland is not as long as the vandy guy last year, but he is fast, smooth through trash and weighs in about the same as BM/Vic.

His Freshman year:

Some clickbait about him:
http://gridironnow.com/5-tennessee-players-2018-nfl-draft/2/

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Darrin Kirkland is not as long as the vandy guy last year, but he is fast, smooth through trash and weighs in about the same as BM/Vic.

His Freshman year:

Some clickbait about him:
http://gridironnow.com/5-tennessee-players-2018-nfl-draft/2/

That Vandy guy is the kind I wouldn't want to play very often. But this guy is pretty good, but may not have the experience to deal with various blocking options and cut blocking. Be interesting to see though.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Good looking young player. Let's get him started on a good sophomore slump ;)

If u don't think Tenn has some play makers of their own....you are setting yourself up for over high expectations and resulting frustrations. Gonna be a good tough game.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Those of us as fans and those of us on message boards learn some things about our QB candidates, but on an every day basis coaches on the field (in this case CPJ and input from his coaches) see and hear things that folks on the sidelines, in the stands, or on message boards are not privilaged to. This information over a period of time, including how the other players react to a particular QB, will determine CPJ's selection for a QB. When that happens we should all trust and accept that as the best choice for the team and we should get 100% behind our coach and selected QB. Fortunately for us message board junkies the talent this year will yield no bad selection. Just relax and let it happen.