QB battle

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I know your being funny, but I thought more about the MJ advantage. He gives us more plays for two reasons. One: he's been here a long time and just knows the playbook way better than the other guys. Two: he gives us the inside power running game in addition to the other aspects the other qb's can do.

I know he has some weaknesses, too, like he's not super elusive, he's not gonna avoid too many free-run blitzers. However, he's not gonna take very many losses because he so good at seeing a crease and getting everything out of it. He also tends to lock onto the primary receiver and miss the guy running wide open on the other side, but JT did that, too. He's more comfortable keeping when there's more to be had with a late pitch. He's also had difficulty seeing and exploiting the backdoor running lane on pass plays. But he's smart and can learn that in film review.
I watched the VT game last night and you're right about him finding the crease and squeezing some yards. A lot of times that paid off and he got 4-5 yards or a 1st down but he also needs to be a little more patient at times because here were some 3rd & longs were he tried that and had no chance of picking up the 1st down but could've had a chance at finding an open receiver if he waited a little longer. That's something I'm sure he's improved on and I also think that ties in with CPJ telling him to be conservative and not take any risks. Another thing I saw from that game was how much we dominated th TOP with him at QB. I always thought our defense won that game for us but we limited the number of drives and since they made a couple mistakes there was no way for them to make up for it in so little time. That's how CPJ wins games and I think we'll see more of that this year with MJ at QB

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
?

He "stole" it from Brandin Cooks. It's a glory to god religious thing, referring to Ishmael learning to hunt in the wilderness:
God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. Genesis 21:20, king james v.

I know where it comes from.
I simply meant other QB's were doing it before he started, not just Brandin Cooks.
Not that he "stole " it lol

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I know your being funny, but I thought more about the MJ advantage. He gives us more plays for two reasons. One: he's been here a long time and just knows the playbook way better than the other guys. Two: he gives us the inside power running game in addition to the other aspects the other qb's can do.

I know he has some weaknesses, too, like he's not super elusive, he's not gonna avoid too many free-run blitzers. However, he's not gonna take very many losses because he so good at seeing a crease and getting everything out of it. He also tends to lock onto the primary receiver and miss the guy running wide open on the other side, but JT did that, too. He's more comfortable keeping when there's more to be had with a late pitch. He's also had difficulty seeing and exploiting the backdoor running lane on pass plays. But he's smart and can learn that in film review.

I have no idea how the QB race is going to sort out, but I feel pretty confident Jordan is going to take a pretty big step up in his decision making both running the option and passing. He's going to have a full (well, half, with the injury) offseason working as QB1/1a in practices, meetings, and 7-on-7 with our best receivers, not to mention being older, stronger, and more experienced. With that, I see his "floor" being pretty high, so if he does get beat out it's a very good sign for the future. Regardless, I feel very comfortable with the QB position going forward.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no idea how the QB race is going to sort out, but I feel pretty confident Jordan is going to take a pretty big step up in his decision making both running the option and passing. He's going to have a full (well, half, with the injury) offseason working as QB1/1a in practices, meetings, and 7-on-7 with our best receivers, not to mention being older, stronger, and more experienced. With that, I see his "floor" being pretty high, so if he does get beat out it's a very good sign for the future. Regardless, I feel very comfortable with the QB position going forward.
I agree and think he'll be given the full offense.
I don't agree (not with you) that he offers more of the offense than Jay or Lucas. They could both run midline, triple and throw. And throwing is a necessary, complementary part of this offense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Mj runs plays in a smooth and controlled manner. He is not, however, a break away threat on the seam(fake option to ab then cut up field at wide angle) for a big game.
Will the defenses clog middle (bb+midl ine) and when option is run wil they force a delayed pitch from mj by giving ground. The defense may try to keep ball in his hands = tbought is limit gains and hope.
A steady hand and some great play calls sounds good initial plan.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Mj runs plays in a smooth and controlled manner. He is not, however, a break away threat on the seam(fake option to ab then cut up field at wide angle) for a big game.
Will the defenses clog middle (bb+midl ine) and when option is run wil they force a delayed pitch from mj by giving ground. The defense may try to keep ball in his hands = tbought is limit gains and hope.
This will result in an easy 5 yds a pop unless they start creeping closer and closer to the LOS. Once they do this, they are super vulnerable to the rocket toss.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Huh, I feel like you guys are far less impressed with Jordan's speed than I am. No, he's not as fast as Thomas, but I'm pretty confident he's at least as fast as Tevin Washington, who had plenty of big plays on keepers. He's also more likely than either to run through an arm tackle and turn a 4 yard gain into a 24 yard gain (he's got good, thick hips)

Perhaps I have an inflated opinion of his athleticism, but I think he'll be no worse than Washington (and in my opinion, he's a better athlete with a better arm). If he can execute the offense, I think he'll be better than solid.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Huh, I feel like you guys are far less impressed with Jordan's speed than I am. No, he's not as fast as Thomas, but I'm pretty confident he's at least as fast as Tevin Washington, who had plenty of big plays on keepers. He's also more likely than either to run through an arm tackle and turn a 4 yard gain into a 24 yard gain (he's got good, thick hips)

Perhaps I have an inflated opinion of his athleticism, but I think he'll be no worse than Washington (and in my opinion, he's a better athlete with a better arm). If he can execute the offense, I think he'll be better than solid.

So many folks forget MJ was a 110 meter hurdler in h.s., when he busted the one against the chokies I didn't see any of their speed merchants closing on him.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
I definitely want the best ab to play no matter what. I think that's probably MJ.

You have to admit the idea of starting JJ as a freshman and Having him under center for four years would be amazing. Best case scenario in fact.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Just not sure why people think MJ is slow.

It's in comparison to Thomas. It's the same reason people have overstated his power running ability. If he were taking over for Nesbitt people would be worrying about his inside running, and over-hyping his speed. Athletically I see him similar to Washington and Lee. Fast enough to hit a big one if the circumstances are just right, but most of the time his big plays will be between 20 and 30 yards. Overall, better athlete than Washington, not quite as good as Lee.

What concerns me speedwise is less about speed on the plays like he scored on against VT, which was a straight follow, or on option plays. As fast as Thomas was teams still tried to force him to keep the ball. Where Thomas' big play ability came in was on broken plays where he could use his elusiveness to make things happen, and on passing situations where other teams were forced to respect his legs more and so they couldn't go as all out as they did in the past. I think that really helped our passing game under Thomas, and made our pass blocking look better than it had in the past. If teams aren't afraid of him taking off and really burning them, then they will be more likely to go full force on pass rush, which will in turn make our pass blocking harder.

IMO the state of our program means we absolutely need a QB who is elite in some area, speed, power, passing, something. Otherwise a jack of all trades will leave us where Tevin did. In good, not great years, left saying "if only x, y, or z was different".

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
anyone hear Wes Durham on radio today at ACC media days. Said he thinks GT rotates QB's early before settling on starter.
This wouldn't surprise me unless one of the QB's majorly steps up before the season starts. If a guy gets a hot hand in a game though I don't think CPJ will pull him unless the game gets out of hand.

SlawDog

Banned
You will see. He is a break away threat!