QB battle

I've never understood the obsession with the death marches. I mean, when we're up by a score and have the ball late, sure let's draw it out and march down the field all slow like... Unfortunately for us, death marches have won us a few games because our defense can't hold it together. I hope that changes this year...
It isn't an obsession. But you said it yourself, our defense can't hold it together. Every play that our offense is on the field is a play our defense is resting. Improved defense is the Holy Grail around here. Until that actually happens, lets get back to ball control offense. And it seems that a by-product of our ball control offense is a wearing down of their defense, which results in physical and mental mistakes on their part that opens up big plays for us.

death marches are good if they end in touchdowns. but a 2 play drive that takes 25 seconds off the clock, but goes for a TD, is better than any death march that does not.

do you want everybody in the lineup to hit a solo HR or do you want to take your chance getting 3 bunt singles in a row and then having someone hit a grand slam?
I don't disagree, and scoring, however which way we can accomplish it, puts pressure on the opponent to answer. But if our defense can't make a stop and the opponent has a long drive to score, the game has been tied or close, the game has been shortened, Georgia Tech's offense opportunities have been reduced, and our defense has been beaten up and frustrated because they have played their hardest and still given up points. All I want to do is flip that scenario. Let the opponent's defense be gassed and embarrassed.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Inalready said my thoughts on the qb situation but.... just bc theres a picture of a qb running a drill with a starting a-back doesnt mean hes getting all the reps with the first team. Its crazy how quick people leap to conclusions and state it as fact. Ive heard/listened to all of Pauls pressers and i dont think JJ has no chance to start at some point this year. Do i think he will start vs Tenn? No. TM is gonna start week 1. Thats fact... ok opinion but **** it

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In all honesty if LJ starts, that must mean he is so far above and beyond the others that CPJ can't not start him.

These radio tidbits are fun for us, but end of day if the competition is anywhere close, MJ starts. He has played and won in a hostile environment. I cant imagine LJ getting the nod above that experience unless, like I said above, he just blows the others out of the water.

MJs job to lose imo. And he hasn't lost it yet.
I agree, but MJ being banged up is huge. CPJ has to give the lion's share of reps to someone real soon. If MJ ain't healthy it won't be him.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Still amazes me that LJ is in position to be QB1, and it's not getting more play like Vad Lee or even Justin Thomas when they were finally eligible. Maybe it's a reason why CPJ has been almost radio silent on Lucas. As if he doesn't want to jinx anything by even saying Lucas's name. He doesn't want the hype train leaving the station like what happened with Vad and to a an extent JeT. CPJ has been recruiting a lot of DeShaun Watson/Jameis Winston/Justin Fields types without much success. He may finally have one in Lucas.

I agree. Next two practices and Saturday's scrimmage are HUGE for the QBs.

CPJ said something a while back about LJ...that he was the real deal as a true freshman...that he was catching his eye...and then has been silent....

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
On the A back move, if TM is not top two, he isn't doing anyone a service on the bench. In most cases, 3 QBs max plus one scout team get meaningful snaps urging the season.
Gut feeling is he will either be the starter next week or will be moved. He can always come back in case of injury.

Personally, it would be nice to have a couple of preseason games to see each play a half against competition.

If TM and LJ are passing MJ....MJ played AB folks...guess who may get moved :)

I doubt it...but...heck you never know.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
You guys are correct. He has been very oddly silent about LJ. That can mean one of two things: he is not in the race to be the starter right now, or that he is trying to keep his cards to himself as well as keep the hype at a minimum. My guess would be option number two based on his play and based on the fact that he is getting reps with the Ones.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Honest question: Outside of a few remarks about JJ's physical gifts (being fast and quick), what exactly has CPJ said and DONE to make you believe JJ will beat the other 3 to QUARTERBACK? As others have stated and witnessed, LJ is getting heavy reps with 1's, JJ is getting heavy reps with the 2s. LJ is getting heavy reps in passing drills. Sure, CPJ said JJ is just a quarterback, but he's a quarterback that's a year or two from getting consideration to play heavy minutes. CPJ said JJ isn't moving...but what he didn't say is if JJ is moving a year or two down the road. You think even CPJ can tell you that? Injuries happen, he may recruit another stud or two at QB that's more physically gifted than JJ that is also a really good passer. It's not what coaches say, it's what they do. CPJ has said MANY good things about players who end up not playing as much as we thought. How many summer legends have been annointed because of what CPJ has said...just take a look at all threads from past summers. Fact remains, JJ isn't getting the time with the 1's that LJ is getting despite all the eye catching comments CPJ says about JJ. You don't waste 1st team reps on guys who aren't going to play.

What "skillset" does JJ have that LJ doesn't have? Running ability? Did you see LJ's 70+ yard run during Spring, and did you hear about his reported big gains during Saturday's scrimmage? Passing...I'm sorry, but JJ may have a strong arm, but his passing ability is not on the same level as Lucas. Anyone who watches them on pass plays can easily tell who the better passer is, and IMHO, it's not even close. LJ does not have JJ's ability to juke and run around and create creases, but he doesn't need to. As we saw with JeT, that's not always the best play. LJ has the ability to run the full set of option plays in the book. In fact, LJ's ability in running our option offense is very much on par if not better than JJ's....or else CPJ wouldn't let him sniff reps with the 1's. If you can't run our base plays, you don't play at all at QB. Don't take this the wrong way, I think you're mistaken when you say it's "obvious JJ has pretty much the full skill set CPJ wants". If it's so obvious, then why is LJ getting more time with the 1's than JJ? I think you're too enamored with JJ to see what the other guys have.

What we know now is this: LJ is a very real factor in not only playing this season, but playing come time for Tennessee. JJ is a year or two away from contributing, barring injuries from the guys ahead of him. This isn't conjecture from myself, it's coming from others (see posts above from others, KQ, and CPJ). LJ is a VERY talented guy, and his skillset lets CPJ do things BOTH passing and running. I'm not really sure you can say that about the other 3 QBs right now.
Ok I don't think you understand where I am coming from. I'm not saying JJ is ready, I never have. I'm not saying he's ahead of LJ. Not one time have I said LJ won't play. My comments I've made aren't even about the start of the season, LJ very well could play against UT.

Im simply saying it's crazy to think that in a year or two JJ won't be able to pass LJ. CPJ didn't say he's not moving, he said he's a QB. That lets me know he sees something in JJ that if he can ever get down the reads and taking care of the ball he can be the QB, but thats a big IF. He may never get it down, idk.

You ask how JJ can have the full skill set and not be running with the 1's, that simple he's not ready. You can have all the talent in the world and not put it all together, do you disagree with that? Where do you get that I'm to enamored with JJ that I can't see what the other guys can do, when I haven't commented on what I think they can do. That's just assuming You know what I think of the others. I don't mean this rude, but I think you are looking to much into my comments. I could actually say the same thing about you, that because JJ is not ready to run with the 1's that you are looking past what he's actually capable of doing better than the others. Almost as if you are to enamored with the now, instead of seeing what could be in the future.

I think JJ has a short area quickness, burst, and the ability to create stuff that's not there that I don't think LJ has (I could be wrong) also that play making ability that might not have always been the best decision with JT, also won us a few games. As far as passing, yes LJ is probably better, but if you know much about football you know one game in the spring when JJ was coming back from injury isn't a good enough sample to say that LJ is WAY better. Guys have good days and bad days. But once again I'm not saying LJ won't play and that JJ will, that's not what I have tried to get at. No big deal though we just see things a little differently. :D

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
The perfect Death March according to DCS:

-95 yard drive
-19 plays of 5 yards a pop
-no third downs (they just make me nervous... that's why I said 5 yds a pop)
-take 10 minutes off the clock (easily doable assuming we use the majority of the play clock between snaps)

Let's do 5-1/2 yards to avoid measurements :) Especially in Athens.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Which Qb can recognize , set and throw the quickest?? .
Jet was fantastic at getting set and throwing.
I have only watched lucas hs tapes and was very impressed especially w the height of release. Set, ball up, out high! No wind up

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
From those Oracles, MJ is ahead of JJ right now even with a spotty scrimmage last Saturday and being rusty from injuries. Due to JJ's inconsistency and grasp of the offense. At the end of the day, MJ still has the most experience in real games, and he's been in the system for going on 4 years now.

Seems like LJ has been consistently #2, with TM and MJ battling for #1 though it appears TM is pulling away and MJ may be falling behind Lucas.

Still have two days of full on practices and a scrimmage Saturday to go. LOTS can happen. If the lights turn on for JJ, he's got all the ability to make it even more interesting.
Kelly Q who you used to back up your belief earlier actually has JJ above MJ. I'm not saying it's true that's just what Kelly said.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Which Qb can recognize, set and throw the quickest?? .
Jet was fantastic at getting set and throwing.
I have only watched Lj s hs tapes and was very impressed especially w the height of release.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My take fwiw:
When CPJ answered the question about what he's currently thinking, he changed his answer in mid sentence from "I've got a 1 and a 2" to "I've got a 1a and a 1b" so it came out, "I've got a 1, ... 1a and 1b." Where I think it had been MJ at 1, it's now MJ and TM at 1a and 1b in some order. I simply don't see starting a RS Fr at QB in his first game if he's clearly not much better than the guys with experience.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
My take fwiw:
When CPJ answered the question about what he's currently thinking, he changed his answer in mid sentence from "I've got a 1 and a 2" to "I've got a 1a and a 1b" so it came out, "I've got a 1, ... 1a and 1b." Where I think it had been MJ at 1, it's now MJ and TM at 1a and 1b in some order. I simply don't see starting a RS Fr at QB in his first game if he's clearly not much better than the guys with experience.

Not in this O.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
My take fwiw:
Not saying your order is wrong, but people close to the program are saying it's TM LJ and JJ as the top 3. I think that's mainly because of the injury though.

You guys are correct. He has been very oddly silent about LJ. That can mean one of two things: he is not in the race to be the starter right now, or that he is trying to keep his cards to himself as well as keep the hype at a minimum. My guess would be option number two based on his play and based on the fact that he is getting reps with the Ones.
Cards?? Has he stopped playing chess?