QB battle

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I get a totally different vibe from CPJ on JJ. Even though he said JJ will be a good QB. I don't see how you can get out of that small comment, that you can be good, but if QB1 is playing well, you can be good and not be QB1. No offense (please don't take it that way) but that just seems to be reading a little to much into something that's not there. You also left out something very valuable about JJ, CPJ is willing to move TM to Aback but said (with what seemed to be really confident) that JJ is a QB. If CPJ didn't think he could be the starter in a year or two even if LJ was starting I doubt he would make that statement. Imo it's obvious JJ has pretty much the full skill set CPJ wants, now it's just a matter of putting it all together, and even if another guy had it put all together and JJ the same, JJ will win out because they don't have the full skill set JJ has. JMO. This isn't a hit on anyone either. I want the best guy out there.

Honest question: Outside of a few remarks about JJ's physical gifts (being fast and quick), what exactly has CPJ said and DONE to make you believe JJ will beat the other 3 to QUARTERBACK? As others have stated and witnessed, LJ is getting heavy reps with 1's, JJ is getting heavy reps with the 2s. LJ is getting heavy reps in passing drills. Sure, CPJ said JJ is just a quarterback, but he's a quarterback that's a year or two from getting consideration to play heavy minutes. CPJ said JJ isn't moving...but what he didn't say is if JJ is moving a year or two down the road. You think even CPJ can tell you that? Injuries happen, he may recruit another stud or two at QB that's more physically gifted than JJ that is also a really good passer. It's not what coaches say, it's what they do. CPJ has said MANY good things about players who end up not playing as much as we thought. How many summer legends have been annointed because of what CPJ has said...just take a look at all threads from past summers. Fact remains, JJ isn't getting the time with the 1's that LJ is getting despite all the eye catching comments CPJ says about JJ. You don't waste 1st team reps on guys who aren't going to play.

What "skillset" does JJ have that LJ doesn't have? Running ability? Did you see LJ's 70+ yard run during Spring, and did you hear about his reported big gains during Saturday's scrimmage? Passing...I'm sorry, but JJ may have a strong arm, but his passing ability is not on the same level as Lucas. Anyone who watches them on pass plays can easily tell who the better passer is, and IMHO, it's not even close. LJ does not have JJ's ability to juke and run around and create creases, but he doesn't need to. As we saw with JeT, that's not always the best play. LJ has the ability to run the full set of option plays in the book. In fact, LJ's ability in running our option offense is very much on par if not better than JJ's....or else CPJ wouldn't let him sniff reps with the 1's. If you can't run our base plays, you don't play at all at QB. Don't take this the wrong way, I think you're mistaken when you say it's "obvious JJ has pretty much the full skill set CPJ wants". If it's so obvious, then why is LJ getting more time with the 1's than JJ? I think you're too enamored with JJ to see what the other guys have.

What we know now is this: LJ is a very real factor in not only playing this season, but playing come time for Tennessee. JJ is a year or two away from contributing, barring injuries from the guys ahead of him. This isn't conjecture from myself, it's coming from others (see posts above from others, KQ, and CPJ). LJ is a VERY talented guy, and his skillset lets CPJ do things BOTH passing and running. I'm not really sure you can say that about the other 3 QBs right now.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm going to make a prediction: If LJ becomes the starter this year, barring injury, he will be QB1 for the duration of his career at GT.

I think CPJ's hint that Taquan may move to AB is a clear sign that he isn't long for QB, and he's keeping the seat warm for one of the freshmen...and it's beginning to look like LJ, despite all the sizzling comments about JJ. When CPJ said "JJ will be a very good QB in a year or two"
What CPJ said [and did] was: "i think Jay's a quarterback. I think Jay's going to be a really good quarterback at some point. If it's not this year, it'll be sometime but he's got a ton of ability -- just gotta harness it [harness move]. Like I said, harness it and knock out the negative side. He's going to have some upside."

I'm way more worried that we now have no OL backups who've seen the field for real. Our OL looked crappy in the spring game with folks out, and folks have mentioned that MJ's early struggles on Saturday were complemented by some OL struggles. I think we have a very talented 5/6, but are not nearly as deep there as everywhere else.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What CPJ said [and did] was: "i think Jay's a quarterback. I think Jay's going to be a really good quarterback at some point. If it's not this year, it'll be sometime but he's got a ton of ability -- just gotta harness it [harness move]. Like I said, harness it and knock out the negative side. He's going to have some upside."

I'm way more worried that we now have no OL backups who've seen the field for real. Our OL looked crappy in the spring game with folks out, and folks have mentioned that MJ's early struggles on Saturday were complemented by some OL struggles. I think we have a very talented 5/6, but are not nearly as deep there as everywhere else.

I think JJ is a fantastic talent, but sometimes talent doesn't develop the way you want it to. A year or two is a LONG time in college football, and like I said, even CPJ can't tell what will happen then. As of right now, LJ is a real factor to play against Tennessee...JJ is not. One thing people keep forgetting: LJ is extremely talented himself.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I think JJ is a fantastic talent, but sometimes talent doesn't develop the way you want it to. A year or two is a LONG time in college football, and like I said, even CPJ can't tell what will happen then. As of right now, LJ is a real factor to play against Tennessee...JJ is not. One thing people keep forgetting: LJ is extremely talented himself.
I'm with you on the forgetfulness. I just don't agree that JJ is not a real factor to play against Tennessee. Unless I am missing something (perhaps some insider stuff) I haven't seen enough public reps or comments to know that LJ has gotten preferential reps. Glad to actually know who's going to play if you got tips..

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you on the forgetfulness. I just don't agree that JJ is not a real factor to play against Tennessee. Unless I am missing something (perhaps some insider stuff) I haven't seen enough public reps or comments to know that LJ has gotten preferential reps. Glad to actually know who's going to play if you got tips..

Just gleaned from comments here and there about who's getting reps where. Look in the KQ thread, QB comp thread, Scrimmage thread, and Fall Camp thread. I won't call anyone out, but I give certain fonts more weight than others due to history of their knowledge and quality of posts. Then you have other GT boards to reference.

Like I said, a LOT of evidence is starting to build that LJ is getting playing time come Tennessee.

Of course EVERYONE could be wrong!

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Just gleaned from comments here and there about who's getting reps where. Look in the KQ thread, QB comp thread, Scrimmage thread, and Fall Camp thread. I won't call anyone out, but I give certain fonts more weight than others due to history of their knowledge and quality of posts. Then you have other GT boards to reference.

Like I said, a LOT of evidence is starting to build that LJ is getting playing time come Tennessee.

Of course EVERYONE could be wrong!
I think I see what you see, and I don't disagree with the order if it's TM1, LJ1A, JJ1b and PJ had to think about 1b. But I have no inside info beyond the oracles on this board..

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think I see what you see, and I don't disagree with the order if it's TM1, LJ1A, JJ1b and PJ had to think about 1b. But I have no inside info beyond the oracles on this board..

From those Oracles, MJ is ahead of JJ right now even with a spotty scrimmage last Saturday and being rusty from injuries. Due to JJ's inconsistency and grasp of the offense. At the end of the day, MJ still has the most experience in real games, and he's been in the system for going on 4 years now.

Seems like LJ has been consistently #2, with TM and MJ battling for #1 though it appears TM is pulling away and MJ may be falling behind Lucas.

Still have two days of full on practices and a scrimmage Saturday to go. LOTS can happen. If the lights turn on for JJ, he's got all the ability to make it even more interesting.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Yea....How much?
CPJ certainly knows that competitors listen to his comments as well as fans and no doubt is less specific with public comments than internal thoughts. Until he is comfortable naming a starter, no one will know for sure. The one thing that seems clear from numerous comments is that he believes that JJ is the most talented, but may not be ready to start.
Personally I just want the season to start. I think the offense will be impressive regardless of who gets the nod.
Yea....How much?
A gentlemanly agreement to provide some GT fan gear (e.g. a hat, t-shirt, tumbler, coffee mug, etc). In the right shade of gold, of course.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Since we're talking about 'em...
LtR: Matthew Jordan, Lucas Johnson, Tobias Oliver, (Candeto), TaQuon Marshall, Chase Martenson, Jay Jones

Wow, we really need to get a bunch of these guys on the field. Preferably by rotating QBs ..... :p

I'll be the first to call for another QB to come in. I don't care who starts really. I do care that we have the best QB in at the end to win ....... and everyone has their day and matches up different against different teams........

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has suggested still the possibility of moving TM to aback, so everything is up in the air. He knows what's he's seeing and what he likes. We're just gonna have to enjoy the ride.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
From those Oracles, MJ is ahead of JJ right now even with a spotty scrimmage last Saturday and being rusty from injuries. Due to JJ's inconsistency and grasp of the offense. At the end of the day, MJ still has the most experience in real games, and he's been in the system for going on 4 years now.

Seems like LJ has been consistently #2, with TM and MJ battling for #1 though it appears TM is pulling away and MJ may be falling behind Lucas.

Still have two days of full on practices and a scrimmage Saturday to go. LOTS can happen. If the lights turn on for JJ, he's got all the ability to make it even more interesting.

1A - LJ 1AA - TM
1B - MJ...for now...

is how I understand it. LJ got more reps in shells yesterday. Today and tomorrow are the BIG DAYS. Today and tomorrow we are going full....we will know practically alot if it leaks

Techster

Helluva Engineer
1A - LJ 1AA - TM
1B - MJ...for now...

is how I understand it. LJ got more reps in shells yesterday. Today and tomorrow are the BIG DAYS. Today and tomorrow we are going full....we will know practically alot if it leaks

Still amazes me that LJ is in position to be QB1, and it's not getting more play like Vad Lee or even Justin Thomas when they were finally eligible. Maybe it's a reason why CPJ has been almost radio silent on Lucas. As if he doesn't want to jinx anything by even saying Lucas's name. He doesn't want the hype train leaving the station like what happened with Vad and to a an extent JeT. CPJ has been recruiting a lot of DeShaun Watson/Jameis Winston/Justin Fields types without much success. He may finally have one in Lucas.

I agree. Next two practices and Saturday's scrimmage are HUGE for the QBs.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
In all honesty if LJ starts, that must mean he is so far above and beyond the others that CPJ can't not start him.

These radio tidbits are fun for us, but end of day if the competition is anywhere close, MJ starts. He has played and won in a hostile environment. I cant imagine LJ getting the nod above that experience unless, like I said above, he just blows the others out of the water.

MJs job to lose imo. And he hasn't lost it yet.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Still amazes me that LJ is in position to be QB1, and it's not getting more play like Vad Lee or even Justin Thomas when they were finally eligible. Maybe it's a reason why CPJ has been almost radio silent on Lucas. As if he doesn't want to jinx anything by even saying Lucas's name. He doesn't want the hype train leaving the station like what happened with Vad and to a an extent JeT. CPJ has been recruiting a lot of DeShaun Watson/Jameis Winston/Justin Fields types without much success. He may finally have one in Lucas.

I agree. Next two practices and Saturday's scrimmage are HUGE for the QBs.
Isn't it awesome how this is shaking out? If my gut feeling is right, we have at least 3, possibly 4 capable QB's that could start against Tennessee. As I've said before, each one of them brings different skills to the table. It can't be easy to gameplan for a QB when you don't know who it is...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
death marches are good if they end in touchdowns.
This is the key phrase. We need points. I'd prefer a healthy mix of death marches and quick strikes, our O definitely has the potential for both. As long as we are scoring tds on other drives, a fruitless death march still offers some rewards. It keeps the our D and their O off the field which allows our D to rest and their O to get tight.

If we score 4 tds by quick strike and have 4 fruitless death marches, we win easily. We need a qb who is capable of doing both.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I just don’t see how you can currently roll out MJ after what we’ve seen/heard from practice and scrimmages and expect the team to have much confidence in him. I’ve personally been pulling for MJ to pull out the starting job because I like his physicality, but he’s not looking like the best option right now.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In all honesty if LJ starts, that must mean he is so far above and beyond the others that CPJ can't not start him.

These radio tidbits are fun for us, but end of day if the competition is anywhere close, MJ starts. He has played and won in a hostile environment. I cant imagine LJ getting the nod above that experience unless, like I said above, he just blows the others out of the water.

MJs job to lose imo. And he hasn't lost it yet.

I agree with the experience aspect of all of this, and that's what's intriguing about how all of this is starting to play out. MJ is by far the QB with the most experience, and TM has been in this system for 3 years (2 as a full time QB). If the competition is even, you always go with the guy with the most experience...and that's why CPJ stuck with Tevin in 2012 despite Vad's overwhelming talent advantage. Heck, you go with experience even if the most experienced guy is just a tad behind the others.

That's the fascinating thing about LJ. Given what we know about how CPJ values experience, it says a lot about LJ that he's even being discussed as QB1 and that he's getting valuable reps with the 1's.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what y'all are talkin about. Death marches are absolutely beautiful. Getting the ball back late, up by less than a touchdown, and like 6 minutes on the clock. The other team is all like "Just get a stop, and we can TOTALLY win this!" And then... Watching the hope drain slowly from their eyes, as they watch the clock tick tick tick away...

And it's not a quick kill, either. We give them lots of third downs to cheer on their defense, but then convert them. It's like a kick to the crotch over, and over, and over.

Seriously, who doesn't love the Paul Johnson Death March?
The perfect Death March according to DCS:

-95 yard drive
-19 plays of 5 yards a pop
-no third downs (they just make me nervous... that's why I said 5 yds a pop)
-take 10 minutes off the clock (easily doable assuming we use the majority of the play clock between snaps)

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer

This is very accurate to what's going on

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
On the A back move, if TM is not top two, he isn't doing anyone a service on the bench. In most cases, 3 QBs max plus one scout team get meaningful snaps urging the season.
Gut feeling is he will either be the starter next week or will be moved. He can always come back in case of injury.

Personally, it would be nice to have a couple of preseason games to see each play a half against competition.