QB battle

No. I like MJ and he is my favorite. BUT, even though he is steady, I think his ceiling is lower.
I think he is Tim Byerly, only better. I liked another post on the subject. Something like: you can lose a game by having the wrong guy on the field, but having the wrong guy on the bench can be costly too. How many quarterbacks do you think CPJ has observed, evaluated, and decided upon? 55 or 60? Maybe more? He made Synjyn Days a runner. He put Jamal Golden on defense. He made Tevin Washington a record setter. Let's see the process work itself out.

bentlloyd

Georgia Tech Fan
Judging by high school tapes, LJ is the best passer by far. Idk why everyone underrates him so much on this board

bentlloyd

Georgia Tech Fan
LJ has the most upside if he can learn the offense well imo. Pure speculation based on high school tapes and spring game

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I also think Jordan is going to perform better than many people think. Just the fact that CPJ still has him as first string with such talent at QB makes me think UT is in for a long night.
At some point you should post a video of your interception return for a TD versus Duke. #avatar/Eastman

:)

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
CPJ and the coaches have tons more data on which to base their choice than we do; therefore to eliminate mistakes they should just review our comments so that they can make an informed decision!

Here are my thoughts CPJ. Start TM and use him until we are inside the 5 and then use MJ to punch it in. when we get a big lead start giving JJ and LJ playing time so that they will be ready for 2018

It's true, but from what we've seen, he's the best passer. That's not comprehensive, b/c it's just one game, but in that game he was the best passer by a large margin.
Okay, he well may be. But Tech doesn't pass. Our best years under CPJ have been when we pass only at our choosing. We run, run, run. run. I agree with the idea that JT's talent took us away from the grind it out profile of the past. He made big plays. Yes, I like to score, but we have to help our defense out. We need to get back to 38 or 40 minutes time of possession. Here is the rushing recipe. Mills--100yds; starting AB's --75 yds each; sub AB's 3@25 yds each; quarterbacks--75 yards. TOTAL 400 yards. Add six or eight passes for 80 or ninety yards, voila, 480 yards offense, 35 plus minutes of possession. It's easy in August! :)

bentlloyd

Georgia Tech Fan
LJ had some great runs in the spring game. Idk why people underrate his running ability so much too. It probably stems from comparisons to Vad Lee, but size comparisons don't always translate, as intelligence and willingness to play under the system takes precedence in the 3O. I think he has all the athletic tools to be the starter in game one, but it's his knowledge of the playbook and system that will ultimately sell me.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Okay, he well may be. But Tech doesn't pass. Our best years under CPJ have been when we pass only at our choosing. We run, run, run. run. I agree with the idea that JT's talent took us away from the grind it out profile of the past. He made big plays. Yes, I like to score, but we have to help our defense out. We need to get back to 38 or 40 minutes time of possession. Here is the rushing recipe. Mills--100yds; starting AB's --75 yds each; sub AB's 3@25 yds each; quarterbacks--75 yards. TOTAL 400 yards. Add six or eight passes for 80 or ninety yards, voila, 480 yards offense, 35 plus minutes of possession. It's easy in August! :)
Oh, I wasn't arguing that he was the best option moving forward. I'll trust CPJ to make that decision. I was just saying that, from what we've seen, he's the best passer of the bunch.

But yes, I like your plan nicely :)

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
Judging by high school tapes, LJ is the best passer by far. Idk why everyone underrates him so much on this board
Lucas impressed me more than anybody Saturday. I mean TM looked good running the system, but LJ was eye-popping. Even moreso, to me, than JJ. Anybody watching JJ can see that he could just as easily take a 15 yard sack as scramble and find a man downfield.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Coachspeak.

What coach three weeks away from a huge opener against an SEC foe, wouldn't want to call the starter? Hell, if you polled any coach in the nation they'd want to have a firm, clear starter as early as possible. You'd have a guy get the majority of the 1 snaps, a player the team can rally around, a leader...You think for a second CPJ is glad there is a QB controversy?

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
no, the best way to win is to score on every play. it feels nice to grind it out, but only when it ends in a TD. every time you snap the ball, something bad can happen. if it takes 15 snaps to score, that is worse than if it takes 3 snaps to score. if we have nothing but one play TD drives, I guarantee a win. ;)

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
no, the best way to win is to score on every play. it feels nice to grind it out, but only when it ends in a TD. every time you snap the ball, something bad can happen. if it takes 15 snaps to score, that is worse than if it takes 3 snaps to score. if we have nothing but one play TD drives, I guarantee a win. ;)

I've never understood the obsession with the death marches. I mean, when we're up by a score and have the ball late, sure let's draw it out and march down the field all slow like... Unfortunately for us, death marches have won us a few games because our defense can't hold it together. I hope that changes this year...

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
What coach three weeks away from a huge opener against an SEC foe, wouldn't want to call the starter? Hell, if you polled any coach in the nation they'd want to have a firm, clear starter as early as possible. You'd have a guy get the majority of the 1 snaps, a player the team can rally around, a leader...You think for a second CPJ is glad there is a QB controversy?

He may already know who he plans to start but doesn't want to make it public. I don't think that it provides much value if any for the public to know. Let UT guess and let the competition continue. When he has decided and thinks it is best to disclose I am sure he will. Personally I would bet he is much more settled already on a starter than we are.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Used to go to Baylor games when rg111 was there. They were trying to score on every play. Fun to watch as the db for opponents wore down. Trouble with the theory of scoring fast - the other team gets the ball and wears down our defense.

I believe we need to get about 120 min and 200 max passing yards and 400 -350 yds on ground = optimum. Optimum =at end of games we are not locked into set plays so we can recover from mistakes. Also with lots of O we are getting in game positive practice. The old days of run run run meant we need to be ahead as the defense was GASSED.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
I've never understood the obsession with the death marches. I mean, when we're up by a score and have the ball late, sure let's draw it out and march down the field all slow like... Unfortunately for us, death marches have won us a few games because our defense can't hold it together. I hope that changes this year...
death marches are good if they end in touchdowns. but a 2 play drive that takes 25 seconds off the clock, but goes for a TD, is better than any death march that does not.

do you want everybody in the lineup to hit a solo HR or do you want to take your chance getting 3 bunt singles in a row and then having someone hit a grand slam?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Well obviously you’d want to score every time you touch the ball if that was a realistic possibility but it’s not. In baseball, you’d probably rather have a batter hit 10 foul balls and smack a home run on the 11th than hit a HR first pitch. Obviously you’d take the HR every time but chances for future HR’s later on in the game are a hell of a lot easier if the pitcher has a tired arm.