QB battle

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
If MJ wins the job, will he even last the whole season? Against VT he kept it 32 times. No QB can stay healthy keeping it 30 times a game. He has to be more willing to pitch, or we WILL see any of TM, LJ, or JJ.

I agree. He has to pitch it but he was told to keep it a lot.
That's the part people are missing or don't know. Designed keepers.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's easy to assume who is what and who gets reps with who, when 1 of the 4 is not practicing.
It's not assuming, it's seeing lol. Also someone not playing can cause someone to not win, CPJ said this himself (my own words). You forget he's also seen the other practices when everyone was in.

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
It's not assuming, it's seeing lol. Also someone not playing can cause someone to not win, CPJ said this himself (my own words). You forget he's also seen the other practices when everyone was in.

So bc they all take reps with the1's, they are all starting.

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
We can go back and forth all day, but I trust CPJ will make the right decision and we will be fine.
Can it ever get here?!!??
Gonna be a long few weeks.

Deleted member 2897

I did. I must have missed it.
Has he said " MJ lost the job"?

I don't know what you mean. The question was "CPJ has said its MJ's to lose...has that changed? I haven't heard." Did you really watch/listen to the video? MJ is not in the lead anymore. No, MJ has not lost the job. But that wasn't the question.

Deleted member 2897

Watched it again.
I heard him says its a competition, that's it.

The question was "CPJ has said its MJ's to lose...has that changed? I haven't heard." Did you really watch/listen to the video? "I heard him says its a competition, that's it." Right, but that wasn't the question. The situation and his opinion on gaps between the QBs has completely changed from spring practice. How do I know? Because he said that. Nobody can say the complexion of the QB competition is where it was a few months ago.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You're right man..... I was simply stating what was said, not need for you to try and argue because you disagree with what someone close to the program has said. And you are right CPJ will put the best guy on the field!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The question was "CPJ has said its MJ's to lose...has that changed? I haven't heard." Did you really watch/listen to the video? "I heard him says its a competition, that's it." Right, but that wasn't the question. The situation and his opinion on gaps between the QBs has completely changed from spring practice. How do I know? Because he said that. Nobody can say the complexion of the QB competition is where it was a few months ago.
Yep, that's why he said the QB competition didn't pan out like he had thought imo.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If I was the coach, I would start the back-up QB because everyone likes the back-up QB and if something went wrong after the first game I would check on the messages boards to see who the fans want to start the 2nd game. Then I would update my resume because doing what the fans want is a good way to lose your job.(plain and simple you play the best player you as a coach knows after watching each fall practice regardless what anybody else thinks, end of story)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If MJ wins the job, will he even last the whole season? Against VT he kept it 32 times. No QB can stay healthy keeping it 30 times a game. He has to be more willing to pitch, or we WILL see any of TM, LJ, or JJ.
I wonder how many non-pitches are times where he should have?

Or it could mean the defense is forcing the keep by flooding assets to the edge, which is a gamble. We need to take advantage of this in other ways besides keeping. It probably means abacks are wide open down the seam or wr's down the sideline. It probably means the D is vulnerable to counters.

It could also mean that teammates are not making blocks or in the right spot. It's not always on the qb or a gambling D when the pitch is not open.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

You've got a RS JR who has been the presumed starter during the offseason. The fact that we're a few weeks out of our game, and he's splitting reps with the 1s with at least two other QBs, I'd say that's a pretty clear indication that the job is open. In a perfect world, you'd have your starter getting the lion's share of all reps with the 1s to get ready for the season. Its an open competition as of now, CPJ admitted as much.

I don't care who wins, but I can tell you this, the scrimmage this past Saturday did not help MJ. For those that weren't there, you'll just have to trust those that were...I'd love to hear anyone that was at the scrimmage claim MJ looked good. Even prior to his injury he slowed down before contact, looked indecisive and frankly looked very slow. He also got absolutely drilled a few times when he elected to keep.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I believe the competition is down to three. He said it was a 1, 1a and 1b. He pretty much said Jay Jones has work to do. With Matthew out I think he is deciding between Taquan and Lucas.
Just because he said Jay has things to work on wouldn't mean he's 3rd imo. Nothing at all was said about Lucas. I think non of us fans really know, this is pretty exciting though, and stressful lol.

Deleted member 2897

Just because he said Jay has things to work on wouldn't mean he's 3rd imo.

Exactly. He said TM would be moved to A-Back if he didn't play QB. He said JJ would never be moved away from QB. You can read as many things into all these comments as you want. To beat out all the other 3 QBs is going to be an amazing accomplishment, and I will get behind whoever that is 100%. And we need QB2 and QB3, because football is a violent game. We don't want to lose a player and have to throw our hands up and know its going to be a long year. We want to be in a position if we lose a player and say well, we've still got a very good chance.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
As someone who doesn't go to practice and didn't watch the scrimmage, Lucas Johnson is the biggest mystery to me in the race. I feel like I don't hear much about him from practice reports or the pressers. How has he been doing in general? If he plays (starter, backup, whatever) what is the biggest weakness we will have to game plan around?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. He said TM would be moved to A-Back if he didn't play QB. He said JJ would never be moved away from QB. You can read as many things into all these comments as you want. To beat out all the other 3 QBs is going to be an amazing accomplishment, and I will get behind whoever that is 100%. And we need QB2 and QB3, because football is a violent game. We don't want to lose a player and have to throw our hands up and know its going to be a long year. We want to be in a position if we lose a player and say well, we've still got a very good chance.
Agree 100% I could probably pull comments from CPJ about all 4 QB's and give an argument that they will be the starter, but I could also do the same to show they won't be the starter.