QB battle

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
As someone who doesn't go to practice and didn't watch the scrimmage, Lucas Johnson is the biggest mystery to me in the race. I feel like I don't hear much about him from practice reports or the pressers. How has he been doing in general? If he plays (starter, backup, whatever) what is the biggest weakness we will have to game plan around?
I think Lucas has the skill set of Tevin with a better arm. So You could see a game called like we saw with tevin.

TM is like a Justin, but seems to have more explosion once he puts his foot in the ground and turns upfield. Another poster mentioned this and I agree, TM gets north and south more than JT probably.

JJ is a guy that can turn nothing into something, and is very exslosive, with short area quickness like TM and JT. He also has a huge arm. JJ and TM would probably have game plans called like that of JT, but maybe more inside stuff.

MJ is just a bruiser, he's going to get a lot of inside stuff, probably not a ton of big plays but he will death match the offense down the field.

Pick your poison, all these guys bring something different to the table. Personally I like the skill set of JJ because I think he has more attributes that are good for a QB in our system than the other guys, JMO! He will need to make the right reads and protect the ball. I can't fault anyone for liking any of these guys though.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Some peeps have to get better at reading between the lines. CPJ is not going to come out and say who has won the job, lost the job, who's in the lead, etc. MJ is not practicing right now, yet he said the race is getting clearer. What does that mean? Also, maybe not mentioning LJ also means something. Eh??? Maybe he doesn't want people to know what his leanings are at this time.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
You almost always are going to pick your poison with a QB in college. It's very rare that a kid is a perfect fit for what a coach wants to do so you have to try your best to mask the weaknesses. I just found it interesting that LJ is like the middle child of the group that you never hear about but apparently might start if this is an actual open competition (which I 100% do not believe it is).

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Lucas has the skill set of Tevin with a better arm. So You could see a game called like we saw with tevin.

TM is like a Justin, but seems to have more explosion once he puts his foot in the ground and turns upfield. Another poster mentioned this and I agree, TM gets north and south more than JT probably.

JJ is a guy that can turn nothing into something, and is very exslosive, with short area quickness like TM and JT. He also has a huge arm. JJ and TM would probably have game plans called like that of JT, but maybe more inside stuff.

MJ is just a bruiser, he's going to get a lot of inside stuff, probably not a ton of big plays but he will death match the offense down the field.

Pick your poison, all these guys bring something different to the table. Personally I like the skill set of JJ because I think he has more attributes that are good for a QB in our system than the other guys, JMO! He will need to make the right reads and protect the ball. I can't fault anyone for liking any of these guys though.
I agree with some of this but you are way underselling LJ at same skill sets as Tevin with a better arm. Dude has some elusiveness and speed that Tevin never possessed plus intangibles, and it is only his freshman year.

Look, I will root for whoever is the starter, but LJ and JJ both have some very interesting attributes that we have never had here in CPJs time as coach. They are both very intriguing for totally different reasons.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I agree with some of this but you are way underselling LJ at same skill sets as Tevin with a better arm. Dude has some elusiveness and speed that Tevin never possessed plus intangibles, and it is only his freshman year.

Look, I will root for whoever is the starter, but LJ and JJ both have some very interesting attributes that we have never had here in CPJs time as coach. They are both very intriguing for totally different reasons.
Idk about the elusiveness from LJ yet, I haven't seen it. He definitely has some speed though. I was more than anything trying to show what type of game I think he would have called for him though.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Some peeps have to get better at reading between the lines. CPJ is not going to come out and say who has won the job, lost the job, who's in the lead, etc. MJ is not practicing right now, yet he said the race is getting clearer. What does that mean? Also, maybe not mentioning LJ also means something. Eh??? Maybe he doesn't want people to know what his leanings are at this time.
I never thought about him saying MJ is not playing but the race is getting clearer. Thanks for pointing that out.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
CPJ certainly knows that competitors listen to his comments as well as fans and no doubt is less specific with public comments than internal thoughts. Until he is comfortable naming a starter, no one will know for sure. The one thing that seems clear from numerous comments is that he believes that JJ is the most talented, but may not be ready to start.
Personally I just want the season to start. I think the offense will be impressive regardless of who gets the nod.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Sign me up for a cross between JT and Tevin. But, I still expect MJ *if healthy* to be the starter against UT.
The only reason I don't see MJ being the starter is because CPJ said he's didn't practice and that will affect him, then he turns around latter and says things are starting to clear up. How could they clear up if MJ is not practicing if he thought he would be the starter? I think the injuries have hurt his chance. JMO.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The only reason I don't see MJ being the starter is because CPJ said he's didn't practice and that will affect him, then he turns around latter and says things are starting to clear up. How could they clear up if MJ is not practicing if he thought he would be the starter? I think the injuries have hurt his chance. JMO.

He's seen Matthew practice for 4 years. He knows what he's got.

MJ hasn't put distance between himself and the others, and being out doesn't help. TM has improved and made the decision more difficult.

There's lots of ways of reading what CPJ said, and getting frustrated that others don't look at it the same as you makes little sense.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
He's seen Matthew practice for 4 years. He knows what he's got.

MJ hasn't put distance between himself and the others, and being out doesn't help. TM has improved and made the decision more difficult.

There's lots of ways of reading what CPJ said, and getting frustrated that others don't look at it the same as you makes little sense.
Can I ask you a question? What makes you think I'm frustrated? Maybe you should go back and read my comments. I just recently said I can see how anybody can like any of the four quarterbacks and that CPJ will make the right choice. I even said I can give an argument for all quarterbacks to start and not to start by Johnson's comments. I said this to show we can twist things any way we want to see things. I also said JMO. Maybe you shouldn't read too much into things on the Internet. If that comment was not for me and more of a general statement I apologize.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Can I ask you a question? What makes you think I'm frustrated? Maybe you should go back and read my comments. I just recently said I can see how anybody can like any of the four quarterbacks and that CPJ will make the right choice. I even said I can give an argument for all quarterbacks to start and not to start by Johnson's comments. I said this to show we can twist things any way we want to see things. I also said JMO. Maybe you shouldn't read too much into things on the Internet. If that comment was not for me and more of a general statement I apologize.

No worries.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
If you're UT, you have to be thinking it's either MJ or TM, the upperclassmen. That's who you prepare for. Who throws UT the biggest curve and makes their DC have to make the most in game adjustments? LJ with his passing. Start him, and keep him on a short leash. Any problems, and you've got MJ to go back to pile driving to regain control of the game. If that doesn't work, then TM starts the second half. Then you have the next two games to settle in on who is 1 and who is 2.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you're UT, you have to be thinking it's either MJ or TM, the upperclassmen. That's who you prepare for. Who throws UT the biggest curve and makes their DC have to make the most in game adjustments? LJ with his passing. Start him, and keep him on a short leash. Any problems, and you've got MJ to go back to pile driving to regain control of the game. If that doesn't work, then TM starts the second half. Then you have the next two games to settle in on who is 1 and who is 2.

That is an interesting scenario, for sure. This is fun. For me, anyway.

whats pauls' alternative. To come out and say MJ is struggling reading pitch keys, is not confident in the pitch, and its hurting us?

Look, all of his comments are in jest. He is not going to reveal MJ is struggling passing or pitching the ball. He just won't. The data behind people posting his struggles actually comes from limited observations in practice (and I will be first to admit...its limited)

Does it mean he is rusty? Maybe
Could it mean he lost some confidence. Possibly
Could he correct it in the next two weeks...sure

but it doesn't change the fact that early in fall practice, its been an observation....its a snapshot in time. And the coach isn't going to publicly undress any of his guys.

BTW at the end of the Vad Lees first year...these same people in practice were saying JeT is the real deal and needs to play. They were right. So I am just saying, that the point of this is lets see for sure...but heck its what message boards are about...to speculate and have fun with it.

Otherwise...everyone's post would just be, it is what it is. And thats not fun
Why do you think Jordan ended up keeping it 30 times against Virginia Tech? We were taking what they were giving us, first and foremost. But also I suspicion that CPJ had seen enough of MJ pitching to know that it was a high risk venture, on the road .

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
LJ might not even be the best passer.