QB battle

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand why we aren't arguing about which one is best, instead of which ones can't play the position. We have: One who has experience and has demonstrated control of the offense in actual games, One who can throw lights out, One who the coach says is the most elusive player he has had, and One who is a mix between lights out throwing and being elusive.

This. We are so blessed with talent at QB right now. Hard to remember the days when we had a sophomore JfN with zero option experience, freshman Jaybo Shaw who looked like a middle school kid out there physically, and CALVIN BOOKER! (undefeated as a starting QB, baby!) And even recently we have been thin at the position. There was a time when guys like Chase Martenson were legit #3s there.

Now look at us. A RS-Jr. with a big road win under his belt, a strong arm, power run game and leadership skills... a Jr. burner with game experience and high confidence who was one of our best ABs as a freshman... a RS-Fr. with size, speed, and real passing talent... another RS-Fr. who reminds us of a 6' 200 lb. JeT... and an incoming freshman who may be as good as any of them.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't think anyone has indicated any of our QBs are incapable of winning the job and a lot of games. I actually think the consensus is the exact opposite.

What this thread is about is our personal perceptions of the strengths and weaknesses of all. Many have personal favorites and opinions of who the best of the bunch are. And are getting a little....defensive with others who have opposing viewpoints. This is a fan forum, that's gonna happen.

I think I know who has the best chance to start game one and probably finish the year as a starter. I did have a feeling about our young guns and which one had the most upside. I'm now very undecided.

Though I have opposed the practice of a QB rotation in the past, I think this is the year we might actually see, and maybe need to see a QB rotation. If so it does have drawbacks as well as benefits.

So who's the best? Time will tell. No need to get abrasive about the conversation.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I did understand you. I agree that Days was not as quick or as fast. However, we was bigger and more powerful than either. I think it would have been fun to watch the midline play run over and over again with Laskey as the Bback and Days as the QB. The linebackers would have probably gotten tired of that.

In general, I am disappointed in the direction this thread has gone. The coach says he would be comfortable playing any of the four. In this thread, us fans are saying that: One can't handle a snap or throw a ball, One doesn't know what he is doing, One has butter-fingers, and the other should just give up and swap positions. I don't understand why we are'nt arguing about which one is best, instead of which ones can't play the position. We have: One who has experience and has demonstrated control of the offense in actual games, One who can throw lights out, One who the coach says is the most elusive player he has had, and One who is a mix between lights out throwing and being elusive.

As GT fans, we've had years of experience moving players from position to position to fill gaping holes in the 2 deep. We are not accustomed to this 'depth' thingy. Can't move any of the qb's to AB or WR as they would disappear down the two deep.. They can't kick and we've got excellent DBs. So we are left with nothing but moving them up and down at QB.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Tebow didn't start.
Ya. I think it's useful to see what kind of 2QB system works tho. IMO, the upshot's not just that Tebow didn't start, but that he wasn't really playing QB. He was a wildcat with a different playbook that he couldn't check out of.

But as I said -- does anyone actually read what other people are saying in this thread? :arghh:-- I think it's generally a very bad idea.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Ya. I think it's useful to see what kind of 2QB system works tho. IMO, the upshot's not just that Tebow didn't start, but that he wasn't really playing QB. He was a wildcat with a different playbook that he couldn't check out of.

But as I said -- does anyone actually read what other people are saying in this thread? :arghh:-- I think it's generally a very bad idea.
I was told there would be no reading in this thread.:)

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
This is a team sport and the pieces of the team change yearly. We are not just deeper at QB but ALL other O skill positions as well. We have AB and WR with more than one player at these positions, who can actually catch the ball when thrown near them. And blocking? Our guys have bought into the system and are unselfish as a team. And they can make tough yards and also break away leaving defenders in the dust. The success of any QB is dependent upon the O line and all the characters in the play. CPJ is the play director and has proven he is one of the best. What we as fans see and measure as best, is surface abilities IMHO.

What is more difficult to see is what makes an Olympian. It is desire, mental toughness, leadership, maturity, steadiness under fire, a whole list of unknowns that make a winner. I have confidence that CPJ and staff will put together the best choreography to meet the challenges of other damn good teams. We have a tough schedule. Placement of Jax State 4 days after Tn also makes that a challenge. CPJ will play those players who will best match up and lead us to success. The starting QB will be best available, to meet that challenge, each week. I see our team getting stronger and deeper each year on O.

I am hoping we are beginning to take a bigger step in this direction for a stronger, deeper more talented D. Hopefully, we see the ability to tackle and disrupt the responsible man or area, improve, with as big a step forward, as what we saw last year after the UNCheaters debacle. Os have a big advantage over Ds. They know the play. Ds need to be able to read, discern, react speedily, to the developing play and have the physical ability to over come the attack coming their way. Frankly I have never thought about this before. As I think about it, should D coordinators be paid as much, if not more, than O coordinators? Is that the case at 'Bama, Clemson? It is said D is what builds championships. This raises a big ? in my mind. Are we over emphasizing O recruitment over D? IIRC aren't most of past star tackles at GT from out of state? Country( Australia)?

I am banking on success this year to be an ACC championship and getting to play on the national stage. The character of our SAs and their success in graduating with meaningful degrees needs to be seen.
Go Jackets! Beat the Vols!! 38 days and counting.
Together We Swarm! THWG!!!

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

I personally don't like 2 QB system. There needs to be a clear cut starter and leader. It's his team.

As GT fans, we've had years of experience moving players from position to position to fill gaping holes in the 2 deep. We are not accustomed to this 'depth' thingy. Can't move any of the qb's to AB or WR as they would disappear down the two deep.. They can't kick and we've got excellent DBs. So we are left with nothing but moving them up and down at QB.
We need to have MJ at quarterback and occasionally have Marshall also on the field as AB. Once in a while let TaQuon throw it, just to get it on film.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's not for this world, but if they had infinite time / stamina, I wouldn't mind seeing DM and MJ at LB

I think both would acquit themselves well there. Speaks to their athleticism. If DM has good hip turn....you could make a legitimate claim he'd be just as valuable at LB.

We got some ballers.