QB battle

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
The backup QB has always played significant snaps for us during the year. I'm sure one of the backups will play. At this time, that guy is Taquan.
I agree that's the status now, but my guess is that we will see JJ on the field this year.

I can't unhear BM saying he's a really good quarterback and is going to play an important part of our offense this year, Dedrick hyping him and Qua saying he throws the best ball. Seems like too much to ignore from guys with no reason to BS.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree that's the status now, but my guess is that we will see JJ on the field this year.

I can't unhear BM saying he's a really good quarterback and is going to play an important part of our offense this year, Dedrick hyping him and Qua saying he throws the best ball. Seems like too much to ignore from guys with no reason to BS.

Didn't you read what CPJ said lately about Lucas Johnson?! "Lucas plays well beyond his years. He’s got a little moxie."

CPJ is already saying Lucas is playing like a junior! Plus, Lucas and CPJ share the same last name...it's like LJ was born to run this offense. :)

Seems like we have a competition to be the fan favorite backup to the backup...

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
BTW I would like to see JJones at A Back this year. A passing threat at AB with breakway ability should be worth extra yards for an already powerful O scheme. I don't believe CPJ has ever thought so.
If we're going to slide a backup QB out to AB for trick play potential this year, I'd prefer we move TaQuon (this is assuming it's MJ starting). For starters, he has real game experience at the position so it's a much easier move. Plus if it's a close race, and all signs point to that right now, I would prefer to develop a backup looking toward the future. TaQuon and Matt are in the same class, which really hurts the case for the loser of the race to stay at QB.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

And just because CPJ says he needs to work on ball security doesn't mean he's not adequate enough to play. If you are fumbling at all CPJ says you need to work on ball security. I'm pretty sure he said the same thing about JT and we saw what he did. CPJ has already said he could call a game for all 4 QB's which tells me JJ has also hit the baseline as @dressedcheeseside said about JT or else JT wouldn't have been out there. Ball security is one of the #1 thing but I'd put decision making right there with it if not higher. What good is it if the QB never fumbles but also never makes the right read? JT was not the best over Tim in ball security was he? But he still started because of decision making and play making ability. Like I said ball security is huge, but still to an extent. I believe MJ will be the starter but I won't be surprised if I see any of the 4 guys getting playing time. Just my 2 cents.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I dunno because it's a bit like trying to read tea leaves. But from CPJs comments at ACC media days....if it was down to the freshmen only...I think LJ would get the start. That could change in the first week of fall practice. CPJ is obviously pretty happy with all four guys.

As for what players say about our QBs. That's pretty interesting perspectives based on what they have seen first hand. However, players often tend to see things a tad differently than coaches will. I think players are more likely to focus on positives and overlook negatives. Coaches can't afford to do that as much.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
If we're going to slide a backup QB out to AB for trick play potential this year, I'd prefer we move TaQuon (this is assuming it's MJ starting). For starters, he has real game experience at the position so it's a much easier move. Plus if it's a close race, and all signs point to that right now, I would prefer to develop a backup looking toward the future. TaQuon and Matt are in the same class, which really hurts the case for the loser of the race to stay at QB.
Good points.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Nevermind. You missed it, but it's not important.

I did understand you. I agree that Days was not as quick or as fast. However, we was bigger and more powerful than either. I think it would have been fun to watch the midline play run over and over again with Laskey as the Bback and Days as the QB. The linebackers would have probably gotten tired of that.

In general, I am disappointed in the direction this thread has gone. The coach says he would be comfortable playing any of the four. In this thread, us fans are saying that: One can't handle a snap or throw a ball, One doesn't know what he is doing, One has butter-fingers, and the other should just give up and swap positions. I don't understand why we are'nt arguing about which one is best, instead of which ones can't play the position. We have: One who has experience and has demonstrated control of the offense in actual games, One who can throw lights out, One who the coach says is the most elusive player he has had, and One who is a mix between lights out throwing and being elusive.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand why we aren't arguing about which one is best, instead of which ones can't play the position. We have: One who has experience and has demonstrated control of the offense in actual games, One who can throw lights out, One who the coach says is the most elusive player he has had, and One who is a mix between lights out throwing and being elusive.

This. We are so blessed with talent at QB right now. Hard to remember the days when we had a sophomore JfN with zero option experience, freshman Jaybo Shaw who looked like a middle school kid out there physically, and CALVIN BOOKER! (undefeated as a starting QB, baby!) And even recently we have been thin at the position. There was a time when guys like Chase Martenson were legit #3s there.

Now look at us. A RS-Jr. with a big road win under his belt, a strong arm, power run game and leadership skills... a Jr. burner with game experience and high confidence who was one of our best ABs as a freshman... a RS-Fr. with size, speed, and real passing talent... another RS-Fr. who reminds us of a 6' 200 lb. JeT... and an incoming freshman who may be as good as any of them.