QB battle

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
But I don't think anything in the games he's played has proven that he is the ball controlling competency fantasy some folks want him to be.

This sounds about right. Honestly, like most pre-season prognostications, we really have no idea how he will do under fire with the first string and with a completely open playbook (IF CPJ allows him to have that, which I am not sure of just yet). I do think he had limitations placed on him in prior games.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I hope Mills can handle all this praise and it doesn't go to his head. He had a lot of maturing to do as a freshman which CPJ handled well. MM is not there to challenge him. I hope Kervonte and Q are able to push him and challenge him.

Knowing GT's luck, Mills will either get hurt or violate some team rule and we'll lose him for the season. I sure hope not, and curse myself for even thinking this way, but all the hype about him scares me.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
Knowing GT's luck, Mills will either get hurt or violate some team rule and we'll lose him for the season. I sure hope not, and curse myself for even thinking this way, but all the hype about him scares me.
giphy.gif

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Injuries are part of the game. Violation of team rules and not putting forth 100% in practice in order to win, is not. I am hoping suspensions last year cured him. He is as much a key to success this year as is the choice at QB.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I watched the first half of the GT-VT game from last year to get a feel for MJ at QB. That was a big win for us at a critical time in the season. We had some very good fortune in that game with them fumbling on the kickoff and a pass interference call that resulted in a first down. MJ overthrew a wide open receiver that could have been a big gain over the middle. We also picked off a pass in the end zone to keep them from taking a 7-6 lead in the second quarter. Overall I must say that while MJ had some decent runs in the game, the win was not due to him. We had a huge time of possession difference in the first half and in my opinion wore them down. The D came up big several times and VT had some critical turnovers including a bobbled FG that we blocked. I sure hope we see a big improvement in his play this year. So far he needs to prove he is the first string QB. He should get the start against UT because of his experience and time in the system. However, I would not be surprised to see him pulled if the team is not moving on the ground and his throws are off. He needs to prove he is the best player to give us the best chance of winning. He has to hit open receivers when they break free. I sure wish we could keep Butker around about 10 more years. He won a bunch of games for us and sure helped our ST field position on kickoffs. I am a little worried that a true freshman kicker has to replace him this year and not sure will be able to make the big kicks under pressure like Butker did. NCSU would have beaten Clemson last year if their kicker hadn't missed a late FG. It is a really important position.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion butker is criminally undervalued on this board. There are the obvious reasons, like his long leg, and his kickoffs, but also valuable was the fact that if you needed to stop Georgia Tech from scoring, you had to take risks earlier as a defense then without him. Anywhere from inside the 35 yard line, he was a threat to put points on the board, so you couldn't wait until the 20 yard line to start taking risks.

he was responsible for a far larger share of wins then he is usually credited with

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
I watched the first half of the GT-VT game from last year to get a feel for MJ at QB. That was a big win for us at a critical time in the season. We had some very good fortune in that game with them fumbling on the kickoff and a pass interference call that resulted in a first down. MJ overthrew a wide open receiver that could have been a big gain over the middle. We also picked off a pass in the end zone to keep them from taking a 7-6 lead in the second quarter. Overall I must say that while MJ had some decent runs in the game, the win was not due to him. We had a huge time of possession difference in the first half and in my opinion wore them down. The D came up big several times and VT had some critical turnovers including a bobbled FG that we blocked. I sure hope we see a big improvement in his play this year. So far he needs to prove he is the first string QB. He should get the start against UT because of his experience and time in the system. However, I would not be surprised to see him pulled if the team is not moving on the ground and his throws are off. He needs to prove he is the best player to give us the best chance of winning. He has to hit open receivers when they break free. I sure wish we could keep Butker around about 10 more years. He won a bunch of games for us and sure helped our ST field position on kickoffs. I am a little worried that a true freshman kicker has to replace him this year and not sure will be able to make the big kicks under pressure like Butker did. NCSU would have beaten Clemson last year if their kicker hadn't missed a late FG. It is a really important position.

hmm..

even CPJ disagrees...

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan

“I think a year ago, Matthew Jordan had to go up to Blacksburg, which is a really tough place to play and start the game, and we were fortunate that he won the game there,” Johnson said

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

The player that bobbled the field goal snap was a close friend of my daughter. I told him how much I appreciated it but he didn't think it was funny. He has left the team so I hope their new holder has the same experience against us.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
QB battle will be won by the guy with the best mental mastery of it. Next biggest factor is who can make those critical 3rd and 4th and long passes, back shoulder throws etc. I think many of us undervalue the importance of our QBs passing ability.

My money is still on MJ. Time will tell and that time is drawing near.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
QB battle will be won by the guy with the best mental mastery of it. Next biggest factor is who can make those critical 3rd and 4th and long passes, back shoulder throws etc. I think many of us undervalue the importance of our QBs passing ability.

My money is still on MJ. Time will tell and that time is drawing near.
I think MJ can pass better than what some think, it's just a matter of will he do it. He doesnt look very comfortable passing imo, but that can change.

On a side note do you know when practices start back up?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Rewatching the VT game. Defense and sp teams won this game, 100%. Qb play was Jaybo Shawish. Just being honest.

His size and power are REALLY impressive, he can play a Byerly role if needed.

If we only go by stats in one game, By saying he can play a Byerly role, I guess you mean that he will have a QB rating of 99.2 and average 5.0 yards per carry. Sign me up for that.