QB battle

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
According to individual stats MJ didn't play against Miami in 2016. Against Vandy passing he was 1-2-1 and 77 yard TD pass. Intercept was in the end zone. I wondered why CPJ called that play unless to find out how Jordan would handle it. MJ failed that exam. He fumbled 4 times during 2016 season and lost none.

Can't find individual fumble stats for 2015 but as a team lost fumble ratio was terrible. FUMBLES-LOST 36-14 OPP: 17-8
In 2015:
Passing gp effic comp-att-int pct yds td lg avg/g

Justin Thomas 12 119.38 75-180-8 41.7 1345 13 58 112.1
Matthew Jordan 5 157.73 5-9-1 55.6 94 1 35 18.8
Fumbled the first snap of the second half, TO to VT.
Threw a FB toss short to MM, TO to VT.

Clearly there is a freshman center and a joint learning curve that a year can cure, but he turned it over twice.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Honestly, to me that's more an example of the potential downside to going with an untested freshman than it is about anything to do with Jordan. Yeah he fumbled a lot that game, but that was being forced into action against a team that already had us on the ropes. He's had 2 years to grow stronger and smarter...he's not even close to the same player he was back then.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
MJ played in 4 other games in 2015 wo a fumble. He lost one of six in Miami game at their goal line. Our O was 373 yards total. He threw one interception. Missed some opportunities. Non of his TO were returned for points.
For a Red shirt Fr. being thrown into the game in first quarter against an always strong Miami defense he did quite well. Watching that performance does not deter my opinion he will lead us this year and we will be tough to beat and he can pass. Based on this Miami game in 2015 the VT win in 2016 should not have been such a surprise. Completely different team from 2015. BTW Miami was on a roll at this point in the season winning 6 straight or 6 of 7 IDRC which.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
MJ played in 4 other games in 2015 wo a fumble. He lost one of six in Miami game at their goal line. Our O was 373 yards total. He threw one interception. Missed some opportunities. Non of his TO were returned for points.
For a Red shirt Fr. being thrown into the game in first quarter against an always strong Miami defense he did quite well. Watching that performance does not deter my opinion he will lead us this year and we will be tough to beat and he can pass. Based on this Miami game in 2015 the VT win in 2016 should not have been such a surprise. Completely different team from 2015. BTW Miami was on a roll at this point in the season winning 6 straight or 6 of 7 IDRC which.

iirc, JT had a couple of fumbles vs Miami in 2016 that led directly to two TD's which is exactly how much we lost the game by.

My ONLY point is that one game is far too small a data set to make any judgments on a player.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
iirc, JT had a couple of fumbles vs Miami in 2016 that led directly to two TD's which is exactly how much we lost the game by.

My ONLY point is that one game is far too small a data set to make any judgments on a player.
Yea and JT got destroyed as he was still back peddling because a DL went through untouched. He should have protected the ball better, but I think a lot of guys would fumble in that situation.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I see two data sets Miami 2015 and VT 2016.
He lost one fumble against VT and threw another pitch to them; the resulting possessions were TDs for VT.
He fumbled three other times that game and was 2/7 throwing.

I like MJ because he's big, fast, smart and tough. If he starts against UT, he will run over one of their LBs and probably hit some big plays. But I don't think anything in the games he's played has proven that he is the ball controlling competency fantasy some folks want him to be.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
He lost one fumble against VT and threw another pitch to them; the resulting possessions were TDs for VT.
He fumbled three other times that game and was 2/7 throwing.

I like MJ because he's big, fast, smart and tough. If he starts against UT, he will run over one of their LBs and probably hit some big plays. But I don't think anything in the games he's played has proven that he is the ball controlling competency fantasy some folks want him to be.
No but for the lack of experience he has had and getting more reps with the starters he will improve IMHO. He has been up against two of the tougher more consistent D in the ACC coastal. I hope he is fully recovered from the freak injury.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2015 had a whole lot of "other" issues....

I am not going to judge MJ by a game with 7 true freshman in a monsoon being the third string QB (less time practicing and less time with the first string). He was only a redshirt Freshman himself.

I am not going to say MJ is at Byerly's level yet until I see him play his redshirt junior year. Byerly was a redshirt Junior when I saw him play.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I would like the QB who has a good arm AND does the best with reading the option. We have some really good WRs (Jeune, Stewart, and Camp) and I want to see them get more action. Besides, the run does better when the D respects the pass.

When UGA played multiple QBs (Greene and Phillips/Shockley) I thought that it was a bad move. As it turns out, they had some good seasons with this nonsense going on. Maybe we should consider something similar.

I thought MJ had a good game in Blacksburg last year, considering he was a backup and that's a tough place to play. I really think MJ is a cool customer and is seasoned which I think would lead to fewer ball handling mistakes. However, his arm might be a bit questionable.

I think I would like to see some of our backups rotated in occasionally behind MJ until a clear winner is found at QB. If our opponents are questioning his ability to throw, the defense will crowd the line and it will be hard to run. In fact, I fully expect UT to do this and make us complete a pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The way i see it, looking at the QB's this year in the Coastal other than Duke, the rest would love to have our problem. A QB stepping in with meaningful game experience and 2-3 others who could play if need be.
Exactly. I'm not sure why all the other teams are getting their QB situations passed over but it's a big reason of concern for our team (in the national pre-season media)

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Hell, he's had 3 years in the system, got meaningful reps and played A Back. The A Back move alone really helps with him knowing the playbook and how those guys move. Granted he's been injured but it's not like we are trotting out a true Fr out there that's never been hit by a grown man before.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
All this talk about ball security reminds me of a quote attributed to John Heisman:
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You realize that was 2 yrs ago right? CPJ says it's his job to lose not it's a wide open contest. Why do you figure?
He actually has said it's an open competition (spring), but also said it's his job to lose. The reason he said it's an open competition imo is because he knows it's pretty close. Even after saying it's his to lose, he followed it by saying whoever becomes the starter, we will play call to his game. I think it's his to lose because he was next in line from last year and he hasn't been passed yet and he might not, but that doesn't mean someone isn't close. I do agree Miami isn't a good indicator of ball security though, a lot can change in two years. Although he did fumble twice against VT.