QB battle

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Who do y'all think is least likely to turn the ball over with a bad pass, pitch, or fumble from lack of ball security? Imo it's MJ and by a wide margin.
I agree he's probably the best at ball security, but at the same time I don't think any of us can say for sure that's the case and I don't see how we can think by a wide margin when we have hardly seen any of the other guys. I get you said in your opinion, so I'm not arguing at all. I just don't get why people think it would be a wide margin without seeing much of the others. Is there a reason? (Serious question not arguing)

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not agree that he is best a ball security. We have two games in which to judge, VT and Miami 2 years ago. Now VT didn't hurt us because he seem to control his bobbles and we got some lucky bounces. I went back and rewatched the YouTube of every offensive play and it just scares the mess out of me how many bobbles there were. Miami was a disaster with the fumbles. I think he can improved, but I would want significant improvement in this area from him if he were to take over.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I do not agree that he is best a ball security. We have two games in which to judge, VT and Miami 2 years ago. Now VT didn't hurt us because he seem to control his bobbles and we got some lucky bounces. I went back and rewatched the YouTube of every offensive play and it just scares the mess out of me how many bobbles there were. Miami was a disaster with the fumbles. I think he can improved, but I would want significant improvement in this area from him if he were to take over.
According to individual stats MJ didn't play against Miami in 2016. Against Vandy passing he was 1-2-1 and 77 yard TD pass. Intercept was in the end zone. I wondered why CPJ called that play unless to find out how Jordan would handle it. MJ failed that exam. He fumbled 4 times during 2016 season and lost none.

Can't find individual fumble stats for 2015 but as a team lost fumble ratio was terrible. FUMBLES-LOST 36-14 OPP: 17-8
In 2015:
Passing gp effic comp-att-int pct yds td lg avg/g

Justin Thomas 12 119.38 75-180-8 41.7 1345 13 58 112.1
Matthew Jordan 5 157.73 5-9-1 55.6 94 1 35 18.8

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If you won't say it's unlikely wouldn't that mean it's likely? I'll answer it for you.....YES!
Ummmmm...... my answer would be NO. There is a such thing as being neutral. Plus I never said it's unlikely. I said none of us know and asked how we can make a statement that it's not even close when we aren't at practices. Do you even read what I have said? Seems like you are reading a little to much into things and coming up with stuff that hasn't even been said. I understand you like MJ but don't let that affect what's actually being said because you want to come to his defense so quick.
Same could be said about DM. It's his job to lose.
yep, that goes for every player. Big difference though is he's been named the starter and it hasn't been said to be an open competition at B back . Shouldn't we compare something with more similarities?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It was in the Q&A Section of the transcripts, Stan Awtrey article is spot on. ... QB Matt Jordan would have to lose the starting spot in fall camp... There is NO QB controversy at GT.

Q. Coach, you talked about having to replace Justin Thomas. You're not alone. Four of your fellow coaches in the Coastal have to replace quarterbacks, as well. You've been through this process before. What do you look for in managing the process in bringing somebody new?

PAUL JOHNSON: Right. Well, if we've been doing our job as a coaching staff, we've got guys there in the program that are ready to play. I think a year ago, Matthew Jordan had to go up to Blacksburg, which is a really tough place to play and start the game, and we were fortunate that he won the game there. I think that gave him some confidence and gave our guys some confidence in him.Then this spring, he had an injury and missed most of the spring, so it gave some of our young guys, TaQuon Marshall, a chance, and Jay Jones and Luke Johnson, who were both redshirt freshmen who may actually be the most talented kids we've had at Georgia Tech since I've been there at quarterback.I feel good about that position. You know, it's Matthew's job to lose, but I think we've got four guys at that position that I could call a game for right now, and they're going to have the luxury of being surrounded -- it's very similar to three years ago when Justin was first starting and he was surrounded by a bunch of guys that had experience and had played a lot of football. And for us, four of the five offensive linemen are back, all the running backs and the leading receivers, so he's going to be surrounded, whoever it is, by a group of guys that have played a lot, and that season worked out pretty good. We ended up in the Orange Bowl and beating Mississippi State. Maybe hopefully we'll have another year like that.
So why did he say once we decide on the starting QB we will play to his strengths? I get that MJ is the leader and it's his job to lose because he was number 2 last year but we can't just take one comment and ignore the rest.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ummmmm...... my answer would be NO. There is a such thing as being neutral. Plus I never said it's unlikely. I said none of us know and asked how we can make a statement that it's not even close when we aren't at practices. Do you even read what I have said? Seems like you are reading a little to much into things and coming up with stuff that hasn't even been said. I understand you like MJ but don't let that affect what's actually being said because you want to come to his defense so quick.

yep, that goes for every player. Big difference though is he's been named the starter and it hasn't been said to be an open competition at B back . Shouldn't we compare something with more similarities?
Here's something else you're not going to like: Taquan has a leg up on the back up spot.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's ok we all know what you're saying
Are you talking to me? I'm pretty sure if you think I'm saying anything other than what I'm actually saying you are wrong lol. I mean what I actually said, try not to read things that aren't actually there.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Here's something else you're not going to like: Taquan has a leg up on the back up spot.
Why would I not like that? I never gave an order of the QB's lol. Are you going to start reading things that aren't there as well? Some of y'all need to stop being so defensive, it's causing yall to make some assumptions. In the spring game I actually though TM ran the O the most efficient. Imo his decision making was better.

Milwaukee

Banned
My hopes based off the little I've seen:

1 - JJ
2/3 - MJ/TM I can't decide
4 - LJ

That is just my personal preference. I'm gonna ride or die with any of these dudes. I'm 100% okay with Jordan leading us and will support and defend him.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I hope the starting QB is the one that the coaches believe will have the best opportunity to win the games. I will try to understand that I don't have all of the information that they do. Also, even if I did have access to all the information that they do, I don't have the football knowledge or experience to make the calls that they do. Let's just win games with whoever the QB is.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My thoughts: MJ has the lead going into the spring due to experience. The first game will have some big lights shinning in your eyes. I also think we could see two QBs in the first game, unless MJ tearing it up. I could see another 2012 type of season with Vad and Tevin. The question is who is the other person. TQ has more of the learning down, but LJ and JJ are needed more for 2019 and 2020. As much as I like TQ, I lean to letting the best of LJ and JJ take the snaps if possible (but no one will pay me to make that decision).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree he's probably the best at ball security, but at the same time I don't think any of us can say for sure that's the case and I don't see how we can think by a wide margin when we have hardly seen any of the other guys. I get you said in your opinion, so I'm not arguing at all. I just don't get why people think it would be a wide margin without seeing much of the others. Is there a reason? (Serious question not arguing)

In large part due to the way he handles the ball and offense and how much that has improved since he was forced into action against Miami a couple years ago.

I'm a huge JJ fan and think he and LJ have huge potential. I'm not a fan of the way he totes and handles the rock though.

Yes my opinions are based on a small body of work thus far. Yes the coaches have seen vastly more than I could wish to see and thus have infinitely more insight on this than I. The ball was on the ground way too much in the spring game for my liking.

For what I've seen though my opinion stands. I think MJ protects the ball, running and throwing, much better than the other guys. Followed by TM, LJ, and then JJ.

As a caveat and barometer of my feelings on ball security, JeT always made me a tad nervous in this manner (while rushing with the ball).....I'd never have pulled him for it....I'd have been in his ear a bunch about it tho.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
According to individual stats MJ didn't play against Miami in 2016. Against Vandy passing he was 1-2-1 and 77 yard TD pass. Intercept was in the end zone. I wondered why CPJ called that play unless to find out how Jordan would handle it. MJ failed that exam. He fumbled 4 times during 2016 season and lost none.

Can't find individual fumble stats for 2015 but as a team lost fumble ratio was terrible. FUMBLES-LOST 36-14 OPP: 17-8
In 2015:
Passing gp effic comp-att-int pct yds td lg avg/g

Justin Thomas 12 119.38 75-180-8 41.7 1345 13 58 112.1
Matthew Jordan 5 157.73 5-9-1 55.6 94 1 35 18.8

MJ fumbled 6 times against Miami in 2015.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2015-2016/gtum15.html