QB battle

Milwaukee

Banned
It's in comparison to Thomas. It's the same reason people have overstated his power running ability. If he were taking over for Nesbitt people would be worrying about his inside running, and over-hyping his speed. Athletically I see him similar to Washington and Lee. Fast enough to hit a big one if the circumstances are just right, but most of the time his big plays will be between 20 and 30 yards. Overall, better athlete than Washington, not quite as good as Lee.

What concerns me speedwise is less about speed on the plays like he scored on against VT, which was a straight follow, or on option plays. As fast as Thomas was teams still tried to force him to keep the ball. Where Thomas' big play ability came in was on broken plays where he could use his elusiveness to make things happen, and on passing situations where other teams were forced to respect his legs more and so they couldn't go as all out as they did in the past. I think that really helped our passing game under Thomas, and made our pass blocking look better than it had in the past. If teams aren't afraid of him taking off and really burning them, then they will be more likely to go full force on pass rush, which will in turn make our pass blocking harder.

IMO the state of our program means we absolutely need a QB who is elite in some area, speed, power, passing, something. Otherwise a jack of all trades will leave us where Tevin did. In good, not great years, left saying "if only x, y, or z was different".

This is money. Great post.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Super childish poster that can't let a snide remark about MJ go by. Sad
I'm a little confused???? I was goofing off..... but, ok..... plus if You want to talk about childish posters, you should go back and look at some of your old post, you've ruffled a few feathers with the way you have talked about the QB's.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
MJ isn't slow. I actually think MJ is as fast as Nesbitt if not a half step faster. What's more important, is he's quick and has a nice burst in short spaces. That's evident against VT:

VT gave us absolutely no room around the box. There were a few instances where everything went right (MM's TD run and MJ's TD run), but for the most part it was a grind. MJ was able to beat quite a few arm tackles in the wash and get 3-5 yards due to short space bursts that kept the drive alive. After watching that, and how our OL was really mandhandled a bit in that game, I'm not sure JeT would have had the same results MJ had. The best way to beat VT was quick hitters between the tackles.

BTW...I do like that play we use to "freeze" teams on 4th down, but this time it was an option to Ike on the perimeter. We should use that more.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Obviously, different circumstances and personnel, but interesting to watch the play call with JeT in 2014 (BTW, 2014 Jet was special) and play in 2016 with MJ:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just not sure why people think MJ is slow.

I think it's in part due to the situations we often saw him in. Goal line or short yardage. Folks see that and their brains get set on the idea he's only good, or mostly good just in those situations. That mindset becomes hard to change and it will take more than one big run against VT to change them.

I believe more such plays will come and minds will be forced to re-evaluate him.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I definitely want the best ab to play no matter what. I think that's probably MJ.

You have to admit the idea of starting JJ as a freshman and Having him under center for four years would be amazing. Best case scenario in fact.

I think best case scenario would be having a more experienced QB start and win a ton of games this year while the heir apparent has time to better learn and master the offense before being thrown into the fire. Just imo.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
anyone hear Wes Durham on radio today at ACC media days. Said he thinks GT rotates QB's early before settling on starter.

This is pretty intriguing to me. For one this would be the first time in CPJ's tenure we would actually rotate QBs. So it still seems unlikely to me for that reason. On the other hand Wes doesn't typically go off half cocked on this type of pre-season speculation. Which makes me suspect it's based on some kind of insider info....(n)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One thing is for sure, there will be no favoritism. CPJ wants to win worse than we do. He's gonna choose whomever gives us the best chance to win, period. I also believe he is way better qualified to make that judgement than me or anybody else on this board. I will be ecstatic with whomever is chosen.

I sure hope there is no sour grapes from the guys not chosen and that they fully support the winner. We'll need more than one qb this yr, that's a good bet.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ on the qb battle:

Q. Coach, you talked about having to replace Justin Thomas. You're not alone. Four of your fellow coaches in the Coastal have to replace quarterbacks, as well. You've been through this process before. What do you look for in managing the process in bringing somebody new?

PAUL JOHNSON: Right. Well, if we've been doing our job as a coaching staff, we've got guys there in the program that are ready to play. I think a year ago, Matthew Jordan had to go up to Blacksburg, which is a really tough place to play and start the game, and we were fortunate that he won the game there. I think that gave him some confidence and gave our guys some confidence in him.

Then this spring, he had an injury and missed most of the spring, so it gave some of our young guys, TaQuon Marshall, a chance, and Jay Jones and Luke Johnson, who were both redshirt freshmen who may actually be the most talented kids we've had at Georgia Tech since I've been there at quarterback.

I feel good about that position. You know, it's Matthew's job to lose, but I think we've got four guys at that position that I could call a game for right now, and they're going to have the luxury of being surrounded -- it's very similar to three years ago when Justin was first starting and he was surrounded by a bunch of guys that had experience and had played a lot of football. And for us, four of the five offensive linemen are back, all the running backs and the leading receivers, so he's going to be surrounded, whoever it is, by a group of guys that have played a lot, and that season worked out pretty good. We ended up in the Orange Bowl and beating Mississippi State. Maybe hopefully we'll have another year like that.

I think he pretty much threw every qb contender a bone in that answer.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson put to rest any notion of a quarterback controversy in his first few minutes on the lectern at the ACC Football Kickoff...Johnson said the position belongs to Matthew Jordan — until and unless someone takes it away — as the Yellow Jackets prepared for their season opener against Tennessee.

LINK
http://www.macon.com/sports/college/acc/georgia-tech/article161637148.html
Focus is on competition, not controversy at quarterback for Georgia Tech

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson put to rest any notion of a quarterback controversy in his first few minutes on the lectern at the ACC Football Kickoff...Johnson said the position belongs to Matthew Jordan — until and unless someone takes it away — as the Yellow Jackets prepared for their season opener against Tennessee.

LINK
http://www.macon.com/sports/college/acc/georgia-tech/article161637148.html
Focus is on competition, not controversy at quarterback for Georgia Tech
I watched it and never heard him say the position belongs to MJ until and unless someone takes it away. Was this after he spoke to the media as a whole and on a one on one session?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I watched it and never heard him say the position belongs to MJ until and unless someone takes it away. Was this after he spoke to the media as a whole and on a one on one session?

I think the quote was in the next paragraph if you click the link.