Previous Offense and Recruiting

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we all realize that Duke isn't a bottom feeder, anymore. I think we also realize that losing 4 of 5 to them should never happen. Cut simply had CPJ's number. The thing I like to see is us getting commitments from kids with Duke offers. Ultimately, UNC under Mack is going to be tougher than Duke the next few years, IMO.
I wonder if VT fans say the same thing about us that we say about Duke?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
precedent dictates we get to lose 4 of 5 before being fired, er, "retiring". :LOL:
Whiskey keeps is saying 4 of 5 because it sounds better than last we were 1 SCORE FROM BEING SWEEP 5 BY DUKE.

Coaching is the only factor in all 5 games.

Looking back WAS our offense so great in 2014 that Coach and staff deserved a big salary increase and long term contract?
In 2014 we lost to Duke and beat 2 teams on last play desperation scramble pass.

In 2014 after the Duke unc defeats., 2 things happened that explain the last half of 2014 and 2015.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Whiskey keeps is saying 4 of 5 because it sounds better than last we were 1 SCORE FROM BEING SWEEP 5 BY DUKE.

Looking back WAS our offense so great in 2014 that Coach and staff deserved a big salary increase and long term contract?
In 2014 we lost to Duke and beat 2 teams on last play desperation scramble pass.

In 2014 after the Duke unc defeats., 2 things happened that explain the last half of 2014 and 2015.
I can't believe you're diminishing wins because of the margin of victory. smh. If you do that, then you have to count close losses to good teams as almost wins. And we've had plenty of those over the years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sadly, we can only go up in regards to playing Duke. I've been sweating bullets for the past 5 years though not so much in 2018, as that game was over by halftime.

It was a 7-7 tie until we turned the ball over with about 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Us turning the ball over three times in 2 minutes, on three successive plays, is what gave that game away. It was very much a game until then.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a 7-7 tie until we turned the ball over with about 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Us turning the ball over three times in 2 minutes, on three successive plays, is what gave that game away. It was very much a game until then.

you're right - I should've said "over by end of 3rd qtr". That was the only game I had to listen to on radio thus my confusion on recall. We really got stuffed the whole game though. Our D is the only reason that game was close late in the 3rd.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You may be right but I saw an awful lot of missed pitch opportunities and it seemed to me -- admittedly the TV tube is not the best perspective -- he had already made up his mind to turn it up. Whichever it often turned an exciting offense into ho-hum. It will be interesting to see this fall whether our "bbacks" are fast enough and slippery enough to translate to tailback. (And apparently you missed the memo about running the ball being so old-fashioned, yesterday's news.)
I wouldn't worry about the BBs being fast enough. The main shotgun running plays don't require blazing speed to make them work, as long as the QB runs the ball too. There's a good deal of deception in a properly run shotgun spread if that happens. And our OC would be a fool if he doesn't make that a center piece of the O.

I assume that all that memo stuff is a joke. Hope so, since every winning football program is built around running the ball.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe you're diminishing wins because of the margin of victory. smh. If you do that, then you have to count close losses to good teams as almost wins. And we've had plenty of those over the years.

It’s relevant in this discussion, 1 score away from losing 5 in a row to freaking duke, Cutcliffe owns CPJ.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I’m not the one that said 4 of 5. Reading comprehension isn’t your friend. The grammar issues I also have at times due to rapidly typing posts while busy. So I won’t ding you there. ;)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sorry for the sarcasm.
I think 4 of 5 and one close win is not good. Not sure why u use the " how dare u use the 1 barely win" requires such a strong response.
When u look at stats and only watch TV u get a limited view.

What changed after 2014 Duke and unc to make the offense take off? We gave pay raises and contracts thinking that coach had it figured out. Have we seen a run like last of 2014?

Looking at first half of 14 , second half of 14 and first half of 15 u what is jumps out about the opponents coaching and our offensive line. ?

In 14 first half verses second half we had same skill players and coaches. We barely beat or lost to teams THAT PLAY US EVERY YEAR or whose play the same offense ( ga southern) . After Duke unc beat us, what changed ? 2 things changed. In first half we played teams that had expierence playing the option. In the second half we played 3 teams that had not seen the option and we played 2 who had belowc5 hundred record.
What did change was we took out braun and the rt and played Shamire and Erin Joe. The line was massive and athletic. In the recent past we had smallish ol that had to cut block to sustain a block. There was NO FILM on anything like Shamire and Erin Joe. The uga dc had 2 years total DC experience , the fsu dc had 2 years experience and the msu was a db coach till just before the orange bowl. We beat uga by 6 barely lost to FSU and slaughtered

YES as u pointed out THE SKILL PLAYERS WERE BIG but it's NOT A LOGICAL WE WILL HAVE experienced sr and redshirt at every skill position.

In 15 our same coaches and OL WITH injured new skill players made short work of the first 2 crummy teams and we rolled into ND. Their fans were fearful in the pregame, but guess what. ND used un called defensive holding on center which plugged up the bb dive. Shamire / joe were never engaged by their defender. The defenders were able to simply out quick them in space and pursue to the run lanes - first jets slant and then the string out pitch at the sidelines. ND HAD ADJUSTED and the slowness of the giant ol w wide gaps was exploited.

There is so much tap and imo shared game plans on our offense and se have so few Deddrick Mills, we have made the scheme so complicated its too difficult to teach.

Imo, the real problem is the incorrect assumption that gt has lots of generous millionaires supporting the program. We have a bunch of alumni that don't donate or buy tickets AT A HIGHER $ RATE THAN THE rest of the acc schools. Even though we have a smaller alumni it is supposed to be wealthier alumni. By not supporting gtaa we have squandered a great opportunity. I will always believe that Coach , given a more than one or 2 studly player, could have made gt elite. We sat on our wallets and wore the man out.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We sat on our wallets and wore the man out.

Probably the best summary of our woes the last 10 years.

Thankfully, our new AD is good at finding donors, and whether you "buy in" to hype or not, CGC is a natural salesman who, at least for the short term, is driving donors to give as well.

If both ADTS and CGC can sustain and/or increase current levels of giving, we could possibly become an elite program again.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
As far as the "losing 4 out of 5 to Duke" issue, let's keep in mind how the scheduling went just before the Duke-GT game over the last 5 years:

2014 @ GT (L) — Duke: bye — GT: vs.Miami
2015 @Duke (L) — Duke: vs.#23 Northwestern — GT: @#11 Notre Dame
2016 @GT (W) — Duke: bye — GT: bye
2017 @Duke (L) — Duke: @Army — GT: vs.#24 VT
2018 @GT (L) — Duke: bye — GT: @ Louisville

In every one of those four losses, the random vagaries of scheduling(*) managed to hand Duke an advantage over us: two flat-out byes, giving them 2 weeks to heal up and game-plan against us; a tuneup game against another option team, again giving them 2 weeks to prepare; and a game where we played a top-15 team on the road while they played a top-25 team at home. Over those five years, every single time they played us in BDS, they came in with two weeks of rest(**). The only time the bye didn't help them was the time when we had the extra week, too. On the flip side, both times we've gone into Somnambulist Stadium, we were coming off a game against a ranked team.

So it's not exactly like we were losing to Duke on a level playing field. If you were to reverse all of those advantages, it's not unreasonable to guess that you'd also reverse the W-L ratio.

(*) a.k.a. Cutcliffe's compromising photographs of someone in the ACC Front Office.
(**) How much do you want to bet that Duke gets another bye before they play us in 2020?

[Edit-1: @iceeater1969: I (respectfully) disagree that coaching was the only factor in all 5 games.]

[Edit-2: looking back even further, I see that Duke also had a bye before they played us in 2012—so that's four consecutive byes before they played us at BDS.]

Last edited: