Previous Offense and Recruiting

LibertyTurns

Banned
Just ask yourself a serious question, "Were we a good passing team last year?"

There's your answer. That's not directed only at you @LibertyTurns but also to anyone that would ask that question.
The only stat that matters is the W-L record. Yeah you can analyze whatever you want and derive from that what you will, but if you’re not winning it doesn’t really matter.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, when you'e 2nd in the nation in Rushing Attempts (again), you better be at least top 3 Total Rush Yards. We weren't top-10 in Yards/Rush though. And once again, we were in the bottom-3 in passing attempts.

I'm looking forward to a balanced offense with less predictability.
Uh, Rick, if we couldn't pass effectively and ran the ball all the time and still ended up leading the country in rushing (again), then we must have been pretty unpredictable when we ran the ball. Otherwise our opponents would have stopped us every time we lined up. And they didn't.

I get it that you think a balanced O is the answer (maybe so, maybe not), but this business about being predictable is contradicted by your own analysis.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Uh, Rick, if we couldn't pass effectively and ran the ball all the time and still ended up leading the country in rushing (again), then we must have been pretty unpredictable when we ran the ball. Otherwise our opponents would have stopped us every time we lined up. Aalmond they didn't.

I get it that you think a balanced O is the answer (maybe so, maybe not), but this business about being predictable is contradicted by your own analysis.

In almost every game the past 2 years, if your guess was "TQM is gonna take the snap, run down the line, keep it and try to run upfield", you'd be right about 50% of the time.

While VPI and Louisville certainly didn't stop us (they didn't stop anyone), Duke, Miami, Pitt and the 2 elite teams we faced most-certainly did.

Leading the nation in Total Rushing Yards is pretty meaningless when Duke is shutting you down at home.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
In almost every game the past 2 years, if your guess was "TQM is gonna take the snap, run down the line, keep it and try to run upfield", you'd be right about 50% of the time.

While VPI and Louisville certainly didn't stop us (they didn't stop anyone), Duke, Miami, Pitt and the 2 elite teams we faced most-certainly did.

Leading the nation in Total Rushing Yards is pretty meaningless when Duke is shutting you down at home.

You may be sweating bullets when we play Duke from now on....For his sake I hope CGC can get their number....otherwise his seat will get awful hot :LOL:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well … no. It was that opposing Ds were setting up to make him run. This worked about 1/4 of the time because TaQuon was a really good runner. This is where losing Benson made such a difference. When the BBs were doing well (Louisville) trying top force TaQuon to run was a recipe for disaster. When they weren't (Pitt), it worked. If we hadn't lost Benson so early, we would have won 2 more games (USF and Pitt) at least for this very reason. TaQuon ended up running a lot because that was what the Ds offered, usually on purpose. They figured - and this did work - that if they forced him to run they'd beat him up enough (he weighs 185) to force him out or decrease his effectiveness as the game went on. It's a standard way to defend the TO. If we could have thrown more effectively, however, it would sure have helped. Also - for the last time, I hope - the only QB who ran mostly called keepers last year was Tobias, mainly because he didn't know the O well enough to do much else.

Oh, and I will again recall that we had a winning season, beat VT, Miami, and UVA, and led the nation in rushing. Again.
You may be right but I saw an awful lot of missed pitch opportunities and it seemed to me -- admittedly the TV tube is not the best perspective -- he had already made up his mind to turn it up. Whichever it often turned an exciting offense into ho-hum. It will be interesting to see this fall whether our "bbacks" are fast enough and slippery enough to translate to tailback. (And apparently you missed the memo about running the ball being so old-fashioned, yesterday's news.)

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
You may be sweating bullets when we play Duke from now on....For his sake I hope CGC can get their number....otherwise his seat will get awful hot :LOL:

Sadly, we can only go up in regards to playing Duke. I've been sweating bullets for the past 5 years though not so much in 2018, as that game was over by halftime.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Sadly, we can only go up in regards to playing Duke. I've been sweating bullets for the past 5 years though not so much in 2018, as that game was over by halftime.

We will see. I don’t perceive Duke as a subpar program and see little evidence they will return to that level so long as Cut is there.

Ask the new staff what they think of Duke football. I bet their take is far different than yours.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
We will see. I don’t perceive Duke as a subpar program and see little evidence they will return to that level so long as Cut is there.

Ask the new staff what they think of Duke football. I bet their take is far different than yours.

I don't see Duke as a program that should beat us badly 4 out of 5 years running. Even the mutts haven't done that. I bet the new staff agrees. I bet the old staff does too.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think we all realize that Duke isn't a bottom feeder, anymore. I think we also realize that losing 4 of 5 to them should never happen. Cut simply had CPJ's number. The thing I like to see is us getting commitments from kids with Duke offers. Ultimately, UNC under Mack is going to be tougher than Duke the next few years, IMO.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we all realize that Duke isn't a bottom feeder, anymore. I think we also realize that losing 4 of 5 to them should never happen. Cut simply had CPJ's number. The thing I like to see is us getting commitments from kids with Duke offers. Ultimately, UNC under Mack is going to be tougher than Duke the next few years, IMO.

I agree with all that esp. the part about beating 'em for recruits. Ultimately, Mack will help water down Duke too.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I wish the mods would create a new subforum just for the haters and defenders of CPJ and his offense and move every single post there when said folks hijack relevant current football and recruiting threads. It would be a LOT of work for mods but hell thats why they get paid the big bucks lol

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I wish the mods would create a new subforum just for the haters and defenders of CPJ and his offense and move every single post there when said folks hijack relevant current football and recruiting threads. It would be a LOT of work for mods but hell thats why they get paid the big bucks lol

in fairness, this thread IS titled "TECH OFFENSE". :D