Previous Offense and Recruiting

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If you can't handle the phrase "turn the program around" without getting offended then that's just a you problem. You're gonna hate everyone, coaching staff included, with that mindset.

This is ridiculous.

Hope and change sell. Politicians who say "vote for me to maintain or slightly improve the status quo" don't win too often. People need to accept it as part of the process, rather than taking it to heart. Anybody who is on board with GT now is good in my book, however they felt before.

Note:Blatant trashing of the previous staff is a different story and I dont think Chan deserved that, either.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Pretty sure the comment was something about getting our a— kicked by Fresno on the blue turf.

I think we only played Fresno on the soggy grass field at the Emerald Nuts Bowl in San Francisco. I’m not even sure the field was soggy, but we looked like we had no traction.

But we fell apart that game. Fresno had a good coach.

(Because we just needed one more “well actually” post)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think we only played Fresno on the soggy grass field at the Emerald Nuts Bowl in San Francisco. I’m not even sure the field was soggy, but we looked like we had no traction.

But we fell apart that game. Fresno had a good coach.

(Because we just needed one more “well actually” post)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, actually, we lost to them twice. Gailey's first season in San Jose and his last on the blue field as CPJ watched Tenuta coach them. Ugh

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
We are probably the most scheme obsessed fanbase in the country (washington st may be up there because of Leech, too). Fact is, the best schemes are mainly the ones with the best players. If we had a Cam, Tebow or Watson running the 3O, I doubt we would have heard any complaints. But guys like that don't want to run it, so here we are.
Very true statement

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It's much better than the 30-QB-Keeper offense we've been running the past 2 years. You got to have at least the threat of a pass completion in the year 2019 and we've definitely taken steps in the right direction here.

I would have loved to have seen LJ run CPJs offense, but you are correct, the limited passing the last two years was our achilles heel. It was the lack of vertical threat that allowed teams to stack the box against us.

Still can't figure out why VT couldn't stop the QB keeper play we ran at will against them.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I would have loved to have seen LJ run CPJs offense, but you are correct, the limited passing the last two years was our achilles heel. It was the lack of vertical threat that allowed teams to stack the box against us.

Still can't figure out why VT couldn't stop the QB keeper play we ran at will against them.

VT couldn't stop the forward pass of Old Dominion either. VT sucked.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
How many halftime or game ending drives stalled out because the clock ran out on us the last 11 years?

no idea. I do remember taking forever to score vs Duke when we were down 21 pts in the 4th qtr last year though. Zero urgency, zero real attempts to move the ball quickly. Mind boggling.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's much better than the 30-QB-Keeper offense we've been running the past 2 years. You got to have at least the threat of a pass completion in the year 2019 and we've definitely taken steps in the right direction here.
We agree on one thing. I concluded we ran the keeper so often because Marshall simply could not master the option progressions and decisions. It is not necessarily a criticism except that as QB, he should have. But it is a quick hitting, fast moving offense and hard to master from under center.

Animal02

Banned
We agree on one thing. I concluded we ran the keeper so often because Marshall simply could not master the option progressions and decisions. It is not necessarily a criticism except that as QB, he should have. But it is a quick hitting, fast moving offense and hard to master from under center.
I have to wonder how much was a matter of not mastering the option over the defenses forcing him to keep. Passing was pretty much not an option to begin with. Also, rewatching some of the OB game, it seemed the O operated on a different speed level altogether....made the last couple of years seem like slow motion.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well … no. It was that opposing Ds were setting up to make him run. This worked about 1/4 of the time because TaQuon was a really good runner. This is where losing Benson made such a difference. When the BBs were doing well (Louisville) trying top force TaQuon to run was a recipe for disaster. When they weren't (Pitt), it worked. If we hadn't lost Benson so early, we would have won 2 more games (USF and Pitt) at least for this very reason. TaQuon ended up running a lot because that was what the Ds offered, usually on purpose. They figured - and this did work - that if they forced him to run they'd beat him up enough (he weighs 185) to force him out or decrease his effectiveness as the game went on. It's a standard way to defend the TO. If we could have thrown more effectively, however, it would sure have helped. Also - for the last time, I hope - the only QB who ran mostly called keepers last year was Tobias, mainly because he didn't know the O well enough to do much else.

Oh, and I will again recall that we had a winning season, beat VT, Miami, and UVA, and led the nation in rushing. Again.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Well … no. It was that opposing Ds were setting up to make him run. This worked about 1/4 of the time because TaQuon was a really good runner. This is where losing Benson made such a difference. When the BBs were doing well (Louisville) trying top force TaQuon to run was a recipe for disaster. When they weren't (Pitt), it worked. If we hadn't lost Benson so early, we would have won 2 more games (USF and Pitt) at least for this very reason. TaQuon ended up running a lot because that was what the Ds offered, usually on purpose. They figured - and this did work - that if they forced him to run they'd beat him up enough (he weighs 185) to force him out or decrease his effectiveness as the game went on. It's a standard way to defend the TO. If we could have thrown more effectively, however, it would sure have helped. Also - for the last time, I hope - the only QB who ran mostly called keepers last year was Tobias, mainly because he didn't know the O well enough to do much else.

Oh, and I will again recall that we had a winning season, beat VT, Miami, and UVA, and led the nation in rushing. Again.

Well, when you'e 2nd in the nation in Rushing Attempts (again), you better be at least top 3 Total Rush Yards. We weren't top-10 in Yards/Rush though. And once again, we were in the bottom-3 in passing attempts.

I'm looking forward to a balanced offense with less predictability.

buzzmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, when you'e 2nd in the nation in Rushing Attempts (again), you better be at least top 3 Total Rush Yards. We weren't top-10 in Yards/Rush though. And once again, we were in the bottom-3 in passing attempts.

I'm looking forward to a balanced offense with less predictability.

FWIW, according to cfbstats.com, we finished 10th w/ Maryland @ 5.67 ypc.