Previous Offense and Recruiting

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You sound like a Clemson fan when they hired Dabo and not a “proven” coach. Who are these mythical coaching prospects you mentioned that GT couldn’t get so our AD became “desperate”? All coaches including Collins are prospects until they actually do it. FSU once took a chance with an unknown guy named Bowden. Duke took an unknown coach with a crazy last name that starts with K. Heck, we had Spurrier on staff but went the “proven” route. Heck, UGA, who can get just about anyone hired a guy who has never been a head coach. No matter who we hired the same statement you made could be said. Give the guy a chance before you say “he was only 15-10” at Temple.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In acc we are near bottom in giving and ticket sales.

We are near top nationally in debt (220 M before Edge)

We only make interest payments 12M.

Will the bank holding the debt is likely to demand significant principal payments ( like vt).

Save me from the lectures about .. . Tstan should be done better.
After Coach quit, Tstan plan is obvious

Get buzz at bds .

Be a force in Atl

Take a chance on young high energy tech loving coach.

Give him long contract and plan to hire stud assistants as we go forward.

He comes the acc tv money will save us crowd! Sorry a lot the money we get will go to the banks while other financially prudent bottom dwellers go past us.

COACH basically said he was going to quit years earlier but tstan came and has begun doing the necessary things.

I think there is a giant untapped source of support. We will see.

I have asked before

What did we buy for 220M$?

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Of course I am. Hell, I even pulled for the Lewis teams. How much more loyal can one be? I am just not turning cartwheels over what I see as a desperation hire. I am not much of a Koolaid drinker, at least since my kindergarten years. The AD could have done much better, in my opinion. But what's done is done and as long as he wins I was rooting for him all the time, Butch. His work is cut out for him for several reasons, among them the unspoken drive in the ACC to catch up to Clemson, and a lot of coaches, themselves recent hires, are under the gun to win now. Even Clemson is driving to strengthen the conference because they know right now the ACC runner-up, unlike the SEC, won't be in the playoffs. FSU, Virginia, VT, Pittsburgh, Miami and UNC are going all out to get back in the hunt. The Techs and the Dukes are in danger of being roadkill. Conference strength was illustrated when NC State, a "strong" conference team, was rolled by Clemson.

If you aren’t doing cartwheels you ain’t a real fan! :D

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Of course I am. Hell, I even pulled for the Lewis teams. How much more loyal can one be? I am just not turning cartwheels over what I see as a desperation hire. I am not much of a Koolaid drinker, at least since my kindergarten years. The AD could have done much better, in my opinion. But what's done is done and as long as he wins I was rooting for him all the time, Butch. His work is cut out for him for several reasons, among them the unspoken drive in the ACC to catch up to Clemson, and a lot of coaches, themselves recent hires, are under the gun to win now. Even Clemson is driving to strengthen the conference because they know right now the ACC runner-up, unlike the SEC, won't be in the playoffs. FSU, Virginia, VT, Pittsburgh, Miami and UNC are going all out to get back in the hunt. The Techs and the Dukes are in danger of being roadkill. Conference strength was illustrated when NC State, a "strong" conference team, was rolled by Clemson.

Desperation hire? "Could have done much better"? Given our $$ restrictions, who exactly was the all-star we passed on that we could've had? The Whiz?

Lots of shade-throwing on a staff that hasn't even been thru a Spring Scrimmage game. :rolleyes:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The guy a lot of people wanted- Satterfield seems to be in a self made $hitstorm in Lville, glad we dodged that bullet.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
The guy a lot of people wanted- Satterfield seems to be in a self made $hitstorm in Lville, glad we dodged that bullet.

Small-time Satterfield would have likely been a terrible hire. At best, we would have been a rocking horse on his coaching carousel. At worst, another guy from a small school not familiar with P5 football. While Temple isn't exactly a national power either, Collins has more overall P5 experience, is more familiar with GT requirements and limitations, and Philadelphia is a lot more like Atlanta than tiny-***'d Boone, NC. We got a guy who's familiar with going after 3 & 4 stars rather than a guy who recruited against Wofford and the Citadel. We'd had enough of that too.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Small-time Satterfield would have likely been a terrible hire. At best, we would have been a rocking horse on his coaching carousel. At worst, another guy from a small school not familiar with P5 football. While Temple isn't exactly a national power either, Collins has more overall P5 experience, is more familiar with GT requirements and limitations, and Philadelphia is a lot more like Atlanta than tiny-***'d Boone, NC. We got a guy who's familiar with going after 3 & 4 stars rather than a guy who recruited against Wofford and the Citadel. We'd had enough of that too.

The other coaches we reportedly talked to were Mike Norvell and Seth Littrell. Nice up and comers, but they didn't check the boxes for P5 experience, either. Collins, to me, was a near perfect hire. Most CFB analysts agree, as do fans of rival schools. Only a few of our fans are unimpressed.

Animal02

Banned
The other coaches we reportedly talked to were Mike Norvell and Seth Littrell. Nice up and comers, but they didn't check the boxes for P5 experience, either. Collins, to me, was a near perfect hire. Most CFB analysts agree, as do fans of rival schools. Only a few of our fans are unimpressed.
Yeah....that is why the hire was grade as a B-. :rolleyes:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

Those fans are conspicuously silent to my question of "who should we have hired?" I think they're mostly Southern/Navy guys just mad that PJ retired.

Milwaukee

Banned
You sound like a Clemson fan when they hired Dabo and not a “proven” coach. Who are these mythical coaching prospects you mentioned that GT couldn’t get so our AD became “desperate”? All coaches including Collins are prospects until they actually do it. FSU once took a chance with an unknown guy named Bowden. Duke took an unknown coach with a crazy last name that starts with K. Heck, we had Spurrier on staff but went the “proven” route. Heck, UGA, who can get just about anyone hired a guy who has never been a head coach. No matter who we hired the same statement you made could be said. Give the guy a chance before you say “he was only 15-10” at Temple.

His post didn't make any sense. He said Tech couldn't hire great coaches, but then bitches because he doesn't think Tech hired a great coach?

But it was a negative post so guess who liked it lmao. Jk I'll show myself out.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
They wanted Monken, safe to say.

wow, that would've been a worse hire than Satterfield. Talk about generating no excitement nor bump in recruiting whatsoever. That was the absolute worst hire we could've made. The Whiz would've been better than that.

He's a great fit for Army. Suffice it to say (and I know this upsets those same fans), we ain't Army.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
wow, that would've been a worse hire than Satterfield. Talk about generating no excitement nor bump in recruiting whatsoever. That was the absolute worst hire we could've made. The Whiz would've been better than that.

He's a great fit for Army. Suffice it to say (and I know this upsets those same fans), we ain't Army.
Actually, I think Moncken would have virtually guaranteed us a 9 - 10 win season next year and that would have taken care of the "excitement" and "recruiting bump" angle all by itself.

But we didn't. Instead, TS decided to try Coach. That may turn out to be a good decision and it may not. It almost certainly won't lead to a 9 - 10 win campaign next year and whether what we end up doing gets us any "excitement" or "recruiting bump" remains to be seen. Personally, I think we'll do well enough to keep the wolves from the door and get a good class of recruits next year. The real question is whether the fans-in-the-stands will be willing to wait long enough, especially after what will probably be the toughest year in recent Tech history in 2020. If they do, then I suspect that Coach will prove out. If they don't … well, remember what happened at Georgia Southern after one season of Van Gorder? Yes, I'm sure you do.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, I think Moncken would have virtually guaranteed us a 9 - 10 win season next year and that would have taken care of the "excitement" and "recruiting bump" angle all by itself.

But we didn't. Instead, TS decided to try Coach. That may turn out to be a good decision and it may not. It almost certainly won't lead to a 9 - 10 win campaign next year and whether what we end up doing gets us any "excitement" or "recruiting bump" remains to be seen. Personally, I think we'll do well enough to keep the wolves from the door and get a good class of recruits next year. The real question is whether the fans-in-the-stands will be willing to wait long enough, especially after what will probably be the toughest year in recent Tech history in 2020. If they do, then I suspect that Coach will prove out. If they don't … well, remember what happened at Georgia Southern after one season of Van Gorder? Yes, I'm sure you do.

A Monken hire would've been a 7-win/status-quo hire that would've likely seen a further decrease in ticket sales and recruiting. We'd had 11 years with the best mind of that particular scheme - getting a PJ Jr would've resulted in complete stagnation and more 50s-ranked recruiting.

It was time for a real change.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
A Monken hire would've been a 7-win/status-quo hire that would've likely seen a further decrease in ticket sales and recruiting. We'd had 11 years with the best mind of that particular scheme - getting a PJ Jr would've resulted in complete stagnation and more 50s-ranked recruiting.

It was time for a real change.
Again, that would depend on the record he would have made. I think either Paul or Moncken would have coasted to 9 - 10 win season next year; all the pieces were in place. And, of course, excitement + recruiting + ticket sales = f (winning). And nothing else.

Your problem is that you never much liked Paul's O and you are apprehensive that it might come back if Coach falls on his face. You're right to be concerned. I think we'll do ok under Coach myself; coaches at Tech have to really try hard to fail outright. But if that happens …

An aside: you never did understand our recruiting under Paul. It is true that our rankings were always lower then some here liked. It is also true that almost no program exceeded - usually greatly - its recruiting rankings and pre-season ratings more regularly then his. If you think about that, you'll probably realize why.