Press conference 6:30 PM Eastern. Ramblinwreck.com

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Waffle house!!
d30fdc01e6794cb400422c4ce0e38222.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Only our fan base would have people complaining about a coach selling and having charisma. That is what the job is. Selling and leading.

I think some of our fans loved CPJ so much because he acted like the anti-social know-it-all engineer/IT professional.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Only our fan base would have people complaining about a coach selling and having charisma. That is what the job is. Selling and leading.

I think some of our fans loved CPJ so much because he acted like the anti-social know-it-all engineer/IT professional.
Some of our fans love cpj so much they can’t let the TO go. Clinging on like an obsessive girlfriend you’ll need a restraining order for

MeatWrench

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm thinking 25-35 realistically. If you look at the rankings the last 5 years, that's probably slightly worse than Virginia Tech and North Carolina, close to what NC State does typically. I think we can do that. And please, PLEASE don't quote me those schools' recruiting budgets and staff. I don't care. That's pretty much where O'Leary had it when he bailed for Notre Dame. Understand, we're not talking SEC territory. If you want to be in the middle to top-ish of the pack in the ACC in bringing in raw talent, this is where you have to be.
I have a hard time buying any comparisons between GT recruiting today and pre-APR.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

The proof is in the pudding, not the glossy slogan filled box it’s sold it.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

Have you missed both the Minnesota fans and the Temple fans on the board saying parts of their canvases hates the constant sales pitch?

But you’re right it’s only our fan base.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I dont think anyone is saying people/sales skills are bad. CGC has them in spades. I am both excited and also tempering expectations. I think Collins is an excellent hire and it will take some time.

slugboy

Staff member
TL;DR version: I’m cautiously optimistic, but he doesn’t even have a staff yet, and hasn’t even run a practice here.

I do see some of the same patterns in deciding what a new coach is like as I do when people assign a stereotype to a recruit or an NBA draft pick. Trae Young is the next Steph Curry, or he’s just like this bust from 1992. All of our running backs for the last 10 years got compared to Dwyer. Now, Collins is getting compared to Dabo 2.0 or Butch Jones 2.0 or “the anti-CPJ”.

There’s characteristics to like in Collins. It’s not going to serve anyone any good to compare him to CPJ or Chan or GO’L or Dodd or Curry. If you can’t compliment Collins without taking a swipe at CPJ or the flexbone, you’re not really complimenting Collins at all. It detracts and distracts from everything else you said. It’s like starting a sentence with “No offense intended...”; if you start a sentence that way you d*** well intend to insult and offend someone but you don’t want to get called out for it.

If you’re rooting for Collins, the least you can do is give him a clean slate to work from.

I will put it down here that every possible complaint or negative about the flexbone, triple option, present and previous coaches, our recruiting, our dining hall, our calculus teachers, Atlanta driving, the coed ratio, Christmas music, the AJC, the Hill, academics, sucky bowl games, lack of beer in the stadium, how much beer would cost if we did serve it, kids these days, Halloween candy, stadium attendance, announcers, hip hop, Virginia Tech’s lame forum software, the board of regents, the PA system, Bermuda grass vs zoysia, how small our seats are, young loud fans standing up, old fans yelling “sit down”, club seat patrons hanging out in the lounge under the seats, the need to ban noon games, and politics has already been posted on this board, and done better.

Feel free to complain about Mark Bradley; everyone does.

I double-dog dare you guys to say something nice to each other. Or to give a compliment unvarnished by a condition or vent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I dont think anyone is saying people/sales skills are bad. CGC has them in spades. I am both excited and also tempering expectations. I think Collins is an excellent hire and it will take some time.

This is where I'm at. I (a) recognize that he's laying it on pretty thick and (2) realize that what matters is what happens on the field which (c) isn't necessarily precluded by (a).

(Gotta throw in some letters 'n numbers so's you fancy smancy engineerers feel comfortable.)

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
I like that he communicates branding, culture, relationships as a priority.

This guy gets we have to put new sizzle on the steak. 'We're smarter than you' is just old and tired.

slugboy

Staff member
This get posted?
@BroylesAward: Geoff Collins is the new head coach at @GeorgiaTechFB! He’s also the only three-time Broyles Award nominee from three different schools. You’re one of a kind, Coach! #BroylesAward

Also this
@PopularPups: If you're having a bad day, here's a mother dog playing with her pups

Bamajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I was impressed with the energy and excitement he conveyed during the PC. Even used the requisite “dream job “ line. I have no reason to doubt his sincerity at this time. The question is whether he can put together the staff and figure out the X and O’s that allow us to compete for championships. Only time will tell, but l am optimistic.
Yeah, I grew up just off Columbia Dr., where he said he grew up. But 20 years after me.

Me too. Columbia High class of ‘73.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It was an impressive media session, for sure. You have to like his focus and energy packaged in a welcoming way to his listeners. He is a leader, just like our last coach, and he should do just what he said, "be himself". I will not complain if our media relations end up being better, nor will I complain if they are worse. Just please have integrity and make sure every player, recruit, media person, or fan understands the truth about what you are trying to get done. My gut tells me he will do just that.

Time will tell if he can lure the kind of players he will need to get it done the way we would all like. I am willing to go for the ride and find out. Good luck coach. I am glad to have you.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
One aspect of the presser I enjoyed, was his excitement about getting back to Atlanta. Especially his comment about his wife being happy. Keeping mama happy is important.

I also grew up out past Columbia Drive...

I gotta believe that his enthusiasm and salesmanship can do wonders for recruiting. Isn't that a huge part of recruiting? You have to sell your program. Especially to 17-18 year old kids who think they are the greatest athletes to ever grace the gridiron. Sell that Tech athletes and alumni are all millionaires.

The total person program can be a great sales tool.

I had finally grown to love Johnson's offense, but now hope all the best for the new coach. His DC and OC hires are really important. Are there any young O'Leary and Firgden types out there?