Press conference 6:30 PM Eastern. Ramblinwreck.com

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Man I really hope I’m wrong. Yes I can see why everyone loves the pc, but has there been that many pc for a new HC that people walked away and said that pc sucked. Everyone can say after the HC has failed that the pc sucked but probably not many as it happen. I know the used car salesmen type can work in recruiting, but it is just not my cup of tea. It works if you’re winning but looks stupid if you aren’t. I guess we will find out in a little over a year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That was years after the orange bowl so whatever. If you couldn't enjoy that press conference i truly feel bad for you
Oh, i thoroughly enjoyed the press conference. I was actually ready for a change and have been on the Collins hype train for a while now. My comment was not related to the new coach or press conference in any way, not sure how you got that out of my comment. I was just making a point they you have done the same exact thing the other poster was doing, difference is, you can’t understand their point of view (neither can I) but you exspect everyone to see yours regarding CPJ (although I’d dare say the mast majoriyon here don’t) it’s just all OPINIONS, so you shouldn’t bash someone’s when you didn’t like people doing that to yours about CPJ. Issue with OPIONS most of the time are, that we think we are right, therefore someone else’s point of view makes no sense. I’m not being rude to you btw, hope it doesn’t come across that way. I’m just trying to make a point about how I see it. Regardless though, I’m excited to have Collins.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Man I really hope I’m wrong. Yes I can see why everyone loves the pc, but has there been that many pc for a new HC that people walked away and said that pc sucked. Everyone can say after the HC has failed that the pc sucked but probably not many as it happen. I know the used car salesmen type can work in recruiting, but it is just not my cup of tea. It works if you’re winning but looks stupid if you aren’t. I guess we will find out in a little over a year.
The thing that excites me is what a lot of good coaches are saying about him. I’ve seen many guys “in the know” that have put their stamp of approval on this hire before the press conference.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There are not challenges only advantages of being at Tech.

I love that ****! Our fans & our culture handcuffs itself by self-imposing these pseudo narratives. There are smart, elite athletes out there and plenty of them in GA. Time to bring them home

THANK YOU. A former SA who has seen first hand how the sausage is made is saying this. I've been saying this for years.

You know what impresses me about CGC? He is not backing away from putting GT and elite in the same sentence. Hell, he expects it. He's also embracing the unique challenges at GT and turning them into positives.

Man, I was going to be disappointed if Collins got up there and said "Well, we hope to get GT to the top of the mountain, but if we don't make it, just know we'll put a product out there you'll be proud of and we'll graduate players..."
F that crap...Collins wants the whole pie. Elite program, graduate players, exciting football, clean program. Why doesn't GT deserve that? Some fans may get on here and beat our program down to the point you wonder why we even try playing football.

Glad to have a coach who believes GT can become the football equivalent of what the school is academically. The guy ain't backing away from it either.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
The thing that excites me is what a lot of good coaches are saying about him. I’ve seen many guys “in the know” that have put their stamp of approval on this hire before the press conference.
I don’t really put any weight behind the stamps of approval. It not like they are going to come out and say “oh that is a ****ty hired, he can recruit but he can’t coach”... it is call a coaching “fraternity”. They aren’t going to dog another coach unless there a HUGE personal issues between the coach. Go back and read what the Tenn. titans players said about KW they were saying good things about him.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

So what do you want us to be? I’m so confused. How are we suppose to attract talent? Is GT FB suppose to attract itself? I’m really, really lost

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I guess. I just don't get overly excited about people saying all the things you expect people to say. Of course he's not going to say in his presser that GT is a slightly above average job in a P5 conference. He also fell in love at first sight and his wife only loved him back because he was from Atlanta. Whatever floats your boat. I'm much more impressed that he's run some really good defenses in his career. Let's see if he can replicate that here while having at least a middle of the road offense. That hasn't been done here in 20 years or more.

You make some good points, but if he has won over 90+ percent of our fan base full of adults in one 30 minute interview, what do you think he’s going to do with 18-19 year old recruits? This is the mentality and energy we need in a head coach. Kids are going to WANT to play for him.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don’t really put any weight behind the stamps of approval. It not like they are going to come out and say “oh that is a ****ty hired, he can recruit but he can’t coach”... it is call a coaching “fraternity”. They aren’t going to dog another coach unless there a HUGE personal issues between the coach. Go back and read what the Tenn. titans players said about KW they were saying good things about him.
They were asked about KW and we don’t really know much about him. The thing about what I’m seeing with Collins is, guysbare just randomly saying stuff, they don’t have to say anything at all.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
So what do you want us to be? I’m so confused. How are we suppose to attract talent? Is GT FB suppose to attract itself? I’m really, really lost
I’m just not a fan of used car salesmen type. Mac is a great recruiter but I don’t get the same feeling from him. There is more than one way to recruit. If you right then we will see lots of 4 stars and a few 5 stars commit in a year.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Watched the press conference and read the whole thread. I absolutely love PJ and his no-nonsense approach to life and football. I will have to watch Army and Navy now to get my triple option fix. I also had a love-hate feeling with how utterly committed to he was to doing the right thing for his players and coaches up to and including his own and GT's expense. For example: if a player thought they'd be better off transferring, PJ would be brutally, murderously honest with them, but wouldn't do anything to change their mind besides give them the facts. If an assistant coach had an opportunity to get hired somewhere else and advance their career, he was all for that. I think he is a great man and have nothing but respect for his adherence to his principles.

I do think that he's been worn down and tired the last few years. I think the combination of rule changes pointed directly at making his offense harder to run along with a brutal lack of support from the invisible AD we had for a while, and the relentless whining of both the media and our fans that what he was doing didn't work just made him tired.

As for Geoff, color me cautiously optimistic. Maybe just downright torn on what to think. I hate to see the option go but I'm open to trying something different - I watched some triple-option highlights and man, a scary number of our best teams and best plays would get called back for "illegal block below the waist downfield". It makes me mad at the pansies that changed the rules because we had a schematic Xs and Os advantage and they couldn't compete unless they changed the rules.

I can definitely see how if we don't actually land some 4 star recruits and even a 5 star here and there, Geoff is gonna be our version of Butch. At the same time, I thought Dabo was a clown, but he's 110% responsible for building Clemson into consistently the 2nd best football program in the country (Alabama is an actual dynasty and Dabo is 2-3 more national titles from being on that level). So maybe Geoff can be our Dabo. I will say he says the right things. The degree you can get at GT is an advantage, and you need him and somebody like Calvin saying "I wanted to play in the NFL BUT JUST IN CASE FOOTBALL DIDNT WORK OUT" I think he really gets it.

As much as I love PJs spread option running brand of football, I'm not sure that it can survive and compete with the latest rule set. So let's see who Collins picks as his OC and DC and what they can accomplish. I'd love to see GT take over as the team known for insane special teams like VT used to be. I'd REALLY love to see us have a really good, aggressive, Tenuta-esk blitzing defense that defensive players love to play in. And most of all I just want us to have head coach with the vision an the passion and the skills to really leverage what GT can offer a student athlete and just get us all out of own way. I don't think we can be a perennial top 5 every year, but we can be a staple of the top 25 and a team that nobody wants to play on any given Saturday.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Watched the press conference and read the whole thread. I absolutely love PJ and his no-nonsense approach to life and football. I will have to watch Army and Navy now to get my triple option fix. I also had a love-hate feeling with how utterly committed to he was to doing the right thing for his players and coaches up to and including his own and GT's expense. For example: if a player thought they'd be better off transferring, PJ would be brutally, murderously honest with them, but wouldn't do anything to change their mind besides give them the facts. If an assistant coach had an opportunity to get hired somewhere else and advance their career, he was all for that. I think he is a great man and have nothing but respect for his adherence to his principles.

I do think that he's been worn down and tired the last few years. I think the combination of rule changes pointed directly at making his offense harder to run along with a brutal lack of support from the invisible AD we had for a while, and the relentless whining of both the media and our fans that what he was doing didn't work just made him tired.

As for Geoff, color me cautiously optimistic. Maybe just downright torn on what to think. I hate to see the option go but I'm open to trying something different - I watched some triple-option highlights and man, a scary number of our best teams and best plays would get called back for "illegal block below the waist downfield". It makes me mad at the pansies that changed the rules because we had a schematic Xs and Os advantage and they couldn't compete unless they changed the rules.

I can definitely see how if we don't actually land some 4 star recruits and even a 5 star here and there, Geoff is gonna be our version of Butch. At the same time, I thought Dabo was a clown, but he's 110% responsible for building Clemson into consistently the 2nd best football program in the country (Alabama is an actual dynasty and Dabo is 2-3 more national titles from being on that level). So maybe Geoff can be our Dabo. I will say he says the right things. The degree you can get at GT is an advantage, and you need him and somebody like Calvin saying "I wanted to play in the NFL BUT JUST IN CASE FOOTBALL DIDNT WORK OUT" I think he really gets it.

As much as I love PJs spread option running brand of football, I'm not sure that it can survive and compete with the latest rule set. So let's see who Collins picks as his OC and DC and what they can accomplish. I'd love to see GT take over as the team known for insane special teams like VT used to be. I'd REALLY love to see us have a really good, aggressive, Tenuta-esk blitzing defense that defensive players love to play in. And most of all I just want us to have head coach with the vision an the passion and the skills to really leverage what GT can offer a student athlete and just get us all out of own way. I don't think we can be a perennial top 5 every year, but we can be a staple of the top 25 and a team that nobody wants to play on any given Saturday.

Thank you for writing what my whiskey soaked brain felt during the press conference. I just finished listening and couldn’t agree more with every point you made. I’m admittedly misty eyed from the demarcation point of us moving away from CPJ’s reign but optimistic that the whole person program and focus on development of the STUDENT athletes will remain under CGC’s leadership.

We need to embrace our program’s mission; progress and service. Not fielding the NFL with extra talent, but literally changing the lives of those young minds who will change the world.

Amen and hallelujah and I’ll have another barkeep.

Ps. This message brought to you by Old Forrester 1910

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
When CPJ was hired, he talked about recruiting locally because that was apparently a talking point given him.

CGC hit similar notes this evening: NFL, D & ST, Innovation, midtown presence, etc.

I think that fans like me who love the triple option and appreciate CPJ's no nonsense honest style need to check the gag reflex at CGC's salesmanship. Give him a chance.

I think that fans who didn't like our O or CPJs style also need to check themselves. Give him a chance.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
THANK YOU. A former SA who has seen first hand how the sausage is made is saying this. I've been saying this for years.

You know what impresses me about CGC? He is not backing away from putting GT and elite in the same sentence. Hell, he expects it. He's also embracing the unique challenges at GT and turning them into positives.

Man, I was going to be disappointed if Collins got up there and said "Well, we hope to get GT to the top of the mountain, but if we don't make it, just know we'll put a product out there you'll be proud of and we'll graduate players..."
F that crap...Collins wants the whole pie. Elite program, graduate players, exciting football, clean program. Why doesn't GT deserve that? Some fans may get on here and beat our program down to the point you wonder why we even try playing football.

Glad to have a coach who believes GT can become the football equivalent of what the school is academically. The guy ain't backing away from it either.

Couldn’t have said it better myself! I’m ready