Press conference 6:30 PM Eastern. Ramblinwreck.com

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Btw, his answer to the question of the upward trajectory of his career and will he be here in a few years was a lot more reassuring than his response to a similar question in his Temple presser 2 years ago (which is on YouTube). In that presser his response was (and I’m paraphrasing) ‘I’m worried about right now, I can’t worry about the future.’ Which basically was a way of saying, ‘yes, this is a stepping stone...’

I think he truly believes that he can make GT an elite program, where the national conversation about college football goes through Bobby Dodd Stadium. (Or something along those lines, that was good stuff)

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Agree
Mine is more like Coach johnson hire as the low energy CG was replaced.

I hope he does the dabo hc - works to promote the program.

Gets a real oc ( sinking feeling - pro, ex gt = CG ???) that runs heavy passing run second .

Coachs up and RECRUIT SOME DEFENSIVE STARS .

Makes Special Teams Special AgaIn.
Need a hat MSTSA.

Time for check writing as soon as any young oc is hired

It may be the Irish whiskey I’m drinking...but I have no clue as to about half of what you just said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that fans like me who love the triple option and appreciate CPJ's no nonsense honest style need to check the gag reflex at CGC's salesmanship. Give him a chance.

Same here. He knows to says the right things and to me it's so much that you start rolling your eyes... Too much sales going on. Customers are not stupid and eventually will tire of it b/c they can see right through.

But as with many others, cautiously optimistic. I will sure miss Paul's grit, straight-shooter honesty, and of course his offense... love it or hate it, it did give us a national brand and no teams wanted to play us on Saturdays.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Good press conference. Rooting for him. Some of the salesmen stuff is a bit much at times, but overall, I think he’s genuine. If he really saw this as a “dream job” and he’s successful, it could be a home run.

I will say he says all the right things which almost gets in the “too good to be true” territory. I’ve learned to temper expectations.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I’m just not a fan of used car salesmen type. Mac is a great recruiter but I don’t get the same feeling from him. There is more than one way to recruit. If you right then we will see lots of 4 stars and a few 5 stars commit in a year.
I think that's a bit optimistic. But if he can get our recruiting classes into the edge of the Top 25 again, that would be a nice place to be.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think that's a bit optimistic. But if he can get our recruiting classes into the edge of the Top 25 again, that would be a nice place to be.
I'm thinking 25-35 realistically. If you look at the rankings the last 5 years, that's probably slightly worse than Virginia Tech and North Carolina, close to what NC State does typically. I think we can do that. And please, PLEASE don't quote me those schools' recruiting budgets and staff. I don't care. That's pretty much where O'Leary had it when he bailed for Notre Dame. Understand, we're not talking SEC territory. If you want to be in the middle to top-ish of the pack in the ACC in bringing in raw talent, this is where you have to be.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking 25-35 realistically. If you look at the rankings the last 5 years, that's probably slightly worse than Virginia Tech and North Carolina, close to what NC State does typically. I think we can do that. And please, PLEASE don't quote me those schools' recruiting budgets and staff. I don't care. That's pretty much where O'Leary had it when he bailed for Notre Dame. Understand, we're not talking SEC territory. If you want to be in the middle to top-ish of the pack in the ACC in bringing in raw talent, this is where you have to be.
I concur.

I do think we will have to continue to increase our investment in recruiting in order to get there and stay there, but it now seems possible. I do agree we will never be able to out-Clemson Clemson.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Make it the year after next. Next year's class is pretty much already committed. Too late to get much more in this cycle. But after that.....well, let's hope what we all see translates well into recruiting!
I meant the 2020 class. He doesn’t have much time for this years

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Watched the press conference and read the whole thread. I absolutely love PJ and his no-nonsense approach to life and football. I will have to watch Army and Navy now to get my triple option fix. I also had a love-hate feeling with how utterly committed to he was to doing the right thing for his players and coaches up to and including his own and GT's expense. For example: if a player thought they'd be better off transferring, PJ would be brutally, murderously honest with them, but wouldn't do anything to change their mind besides give them the facts. If an assistant coach had an opportunity to get hired somewhere else and advance their career, he was all for that. I think he is a great man and have nothing but respect for his adherence to his principles.

I do think that he's been worn down and tired the last few years. I think the combination of rule changes pointed directly at making his offense harder to run along with a brutal lack of support from the invisible AD we had for a while, and the relentless whining of both the media and our fans that what he was doing didn't work just made him tired.

As for Geoff, color me cautiously optimistic. Maybe just downright torn on what to think. I hate to see the option go but I'm open to trying something different - I watched some triple-option highlights and man, a scary number of our best teams and best plays would get called back for "illegal block below the waist downfield". It makes me mad at the pansies that changed the rules because we had a schematic Xs and Os advantage and they couldn't compete unless they changed the rules.

I can definitely see how if we don't actually land some 4 star recruits and even a 5 star here and there, Geoff is gonna be our version of Butch. At the same time, I thought Dabo was a clown, but he's 110% responsible for building Clemson into consistently the 2nd best football program in the country (Alabama is an actual dynasty and Dabo is 2-3 more national titles from being on that level). So maybe Geoff can be our Dabo. I will say he says the right things. The degree you can get at GT is an advantage, and you need him and somebody like Calvin saying "I wanted to play in the NFL BUT JUST IN CASE FOOTBALL DIDNT WORK OUT" I think he really gets it.

As much as I love PJs spread option running brand of football, I'm not sure that it can survive and compete with the latest rule set. So let's see who Collins picks as his OC and DC and what they can accomplish. I'd love to see GT take over as the team known for insane special teams like VT used to be. I'd REALLY love to see us have a really good, aggressive, Tenuta-esk blitzing defense that defensive players love to play in. And most of all I just want us to have head coach with the vision an the passion and the skills to really leverage what GT can offer a student athlete and just get us all out of own way. I don't think we can be a perennial top 5 every year, but we can be a staple of the top 25 and a team that nobody wants to play on any given Saturday.
My thoughts exactly. I haven’t posted since the pc because I didn’t know how to exactly phrase my lack of complete exuberance like most everyone else.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts exactly. I haven’t posted since the pc because I didn’t know how to exactly phrase my lack of complete exuberance like most everyone else.

Like I said yesterday, I'm cautiously optimistic. Coach handled the presser very well but we still have to see the product on the field. Short of that, I am cautiously optimistic :D