Predicted depth chart

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
look the reality is we can't be too much worse in many areas. So i think we will be better. But I don't think anyone should expect a top 20 or maybe even 30 D. I just don't. If we are...and I am wrong GREAT...bonus...but to me we still have weaknesses. SDE flat out is avg at best. Thin at LB and Marcordes has not played well. We have a ? at SS and Nickel CB. SS is going to start a guy who traditionally has had assignment blows. We lack a good reliable MLB right now. We have a guy. But so does everyone. On the upside it appears 3-4 DL starters could be/should be above avg. We have 1 awesome LB. And 3 of 5 experienced secondary....so that is the reason for alot of optimism.

So for me...we may be better, but we have glaring spots we need big jumps at IMO....I think its a success if this D comes in around top 50....

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
look the reality is we can't be too much worse in many areas. So i think we will be better. But I don't think anyone should expect a top 20 or maybe even 30 D. I just don't. If we are...and I am wrong GREAT...bonus...but to me we still have weaknesses. SDE flat out is avg at best. Thin at LB and Marcordes has not played well. We have a ? at SS and Nickel CB. SS is going to start a guy who traditionally has had assignment blows. We lack a good reliable MLB right now. We have a guy. But so does everyone. On the upside it appears 3-4 DL starters could be/should be above avg. We have 1 awesome LB. And 3 of 5 experienced secondary....so that is the reason for alot of optimism.

So for me...we may be better, but we have glaring spots we need big jumps at IMO....I think its a success if this D comes in around top 50....
Marcordes has had some good moments; maybe needs to be more consistent imo.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Marcordes has had some good moments; maybe needs to be more consistent imo.

ok. There a ton of avg to below avg players that have good moments. The difference between where we want to be and where we are, is the good moments are the common place and the great moments are the occasional. Like DJ white. A few great moments and alot of good ones. Like Smelter. Like JeT.

Marcordes for me is a big dude, plays a bit rigid and is a backup IMO. But we are where we are.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I feel whether the D makes a good sized leap from last year is dependent on JHD. A disruptive force at DT is enough to totally transform a defense. Gotsis is a high effort guy and plays from first snap to last without a letdown. His endurance and motor are his greatest qualities. However, he is not that one unstoppable force that opens things up for everybody else numbers-wise. Possibly JHD can be that guy. If he is, you will see everybody else get better, and not by a little. We have 8 back and they will improve as players tend to do. However, the big leap will only come if the belly of the defense firms up big time. We were a pass rush away from a playoff appearance last year. Erase that deficit and the sky is the limit. I like the guys we have returning, but.....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One monster DT can transform a D-line, IF Jabari is all that we hope and dream then the rest of his linemen mates are going to feast. At the very least we can hope for improvement if Jabari is at least as good as Green was and that Freeman/Simmons are bigger and stronger and that Whitehead makes a difference.
This^^^. Who was that Auburn DL who made their entire DLine a few years ago?

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with this on Skov. He is going to change some peoples mind sets about BB and will change HS RB recruiting.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
@33jacket How far away do you think we are on D to where we want to be? I agree with everything you're saying, but you seem to have a better perspective.

If JHD can dominate at DT, i still think we are one consistently good, sometimes great player away on the DL. Maybe Kallon, Gamble, Anree can make a big contribution this season?

I really like what we have at LB. Seems like there's a lot of versatility, anchored by Paul Davis. Is LB an easy position for a true fresh or young guy to play? Or are the assignments / strength differentials too high a barrier?

basically have the same opinion of the DBs. from what i've read, if we have a concern it's at SS. any insight into that position battle. Could AJ gray contribute or is SS a tough position because of assignments

Techster

Helluva Engineer
ok. There a ton of avg to below avg players that have good moments. The difference between where we want to be and where we are, is the good moments are the common place and the great moments are the occasional. Like DJ white. A few great moments and alot of good ones. Like Smelter. Like JeT.

Marcordes for me is a big dude, plays a bit rigid and is a backup IMO. But we are where we are.

I like the role CTR put Marcordes in toward the back half of the season. He was pretty much a stand up DE on obvious passing situations. Marcordes does not read the game well enough to be a full time OLB, and as you pointed out, he's a little too rigid to play in space. He's a specialty player, and if he's strictly utilized that way, he's actually pretty in that role.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
The question is whether that's good weight that will stick during the season, or "puff" weight that melts off once fall camp comes around and as the season progresses.
With him saying "im finally becoming the player I want to be " It sounds like it's good weight for him and the team!
I hope he is ready to make some heads roll.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Safe to say that the 4 current ABacks will be in the depth chart to start. The question is what freshman breaks into the rotation. I think you need 5 to get through the season depending on injuries. We played 6 by the end of last year with Snoddy and Zenon/Perkins (depending on the game) out . I say Nathan or Marshall.

I think MA and Skov will be 1 and 2 or 2 and 1 to start. Again, the question is which freshman gets into the rotation. 3 are needed to get through the season. MLD or Marshall.

Summers, June, Messick, and Oliver have the initial 4 WR spots covered. We will need one more to cover any injuries. I see it very possible that a well developed freshman may be able to come in and pull a Smelter if he can figure out "where to go". If any freshman have "the hands", he may see duty as well.

The OL is straight forward except who plays RG and if Will will get to play this year.

CPJ talked about sliding Pat outside at the ACC Kickoff. If Kallon can play backup inside I can see this happening and would be happy. Freeman will be first not the other side. Who wins the 2 deep positions between Simmons, Whitehead, and Rook.

PJ is in at LB. I just don't know about the rest of the LB to say who is 2, 3, and 4. We do have 2 mature bodies coming in as true freshman, but do they know where to go.

Corey and Golden will hold safety spots down with Demond, Shaun and Austin fighting for time.

CB is locked down 2 deep. White, Milton, Austin, and Step. Will be interesting to see what freshman may break into the rotation.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@33jacket How far away do you think we are on D to where we want to be? I agree with everything you're saying, but you seem to have a better perspective.

If JHD can dominate at DT, i still think we are one consistently good, sometimes great player away on the DL. Maybe Kallon, Gamble, Anree can make a big contribution this season?

I really like what we have at LB. Seems like there's a lot of versatility, anchored by Paul Davis. Is LB an easy position for a true fresh or young guy to play? Or are the assignments / strength differentials too high a barrier?

basically have the same opinion of the DBs. from what i've read, if we have a concern it's at SS. any insight into that position battle. Could AJ gray contribute or is SS a tough position because of assignments

I think folks are losing how important a good sde is on a 4-3. He is as much the anchor as any dt. Ever run spill is stuck by that end. I said this beginning of last year. How the edges are an issue.

But how far are we? We need a guy like aj gray to blossom. We need hunt to blow up allowing us to slide gamble. We are not there at lb. we arent. Too young. Pj is really it. The other guys are just there. We need to allow a guy like gamble to get a bunch of reps at sde.

Imo we have a timing issue. We have dl pieces this year but not the lbs and youth in a few key secondary spots potentially. Next year we could have a few stud lbs. but. Have young dts and one young de with a totally new secondary.

Our issue is as much timing as anything. Roof needs to keep the aggressive scheme up. I am biased. But this personnel under tenuta would be freaking salty. Tough. We have an ideal 3deep secondary, athletic dl and a lb who can move. So its alot of things.

I dont think we are far. But still a few key gaps. And remember i am anlayzing based on our current scheme. I think we can mask some of those gaps with the right packages

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
From my nervous fan perspective, it seems that the defense never gets off the field without a turnover or a sack. Last year was a pretty good year in turnovers and a pretty poor year for sacks. I hope the DL can get some pressure from the front 4 and make in difference in ending some drives. If this unit can make enough plays in the backfield on third down, this team can be good. If not, we are back hoping for turnovers...and although exciting when it turns in our favor, is really no way to make a living.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Safe to say that the 4 current ABacks will be in the depth chart to start. The question is what freshman breaks into the rotation. I think you need 5 to get through the season depending on injuries. We played 6 by the end of last year with Snoddy and Zenon/Perkins (depending on the game) out . I say Nathan or Marshall.

I think MA and Skov will be 1 and 2 or 2 and 1 to start. Again, the question is which freshman gets into the rotation. 3 are needed to get through the season. MLD or Marshall.

Summers, June, Messick, and Oliver have the initial 4 WR spots covered. We will need one more to cover any injuries. I see it very possible that a well developed freshman may be able to come in and pull a Smelter if he can figure out "where to go". If any freshman have "the hands", he may see duty as well.

The OL is straight forward except who plays RG and if Will will get to play this year.

CPJ talked about sliding Pat outside at the ACC Kickoff. If Kallon can play backup inside I can see this happening and would be happy. Freeman will be first not the other side. Who wins the 2 deep positions between Simmons, Whitehead, and Rook.

PJ is in at LB. I just don't know about the rest of the LB to say who is 2, 3, and 4. We do have 2 mature bodies coming in as true freshman, but do they know where to go.

Corey and Golden will hold safety spots down with Demond, Shaun and Austin fighting for time.

CB is locked down 2 deep. White, Milton, Austin, and Step. Will be interesting to see what freshman may break into the rotation.

Good analysis. Maybe left out L Griffin at CB or Nickel? I believe Bryan will play as he seems to be ahead of Stickler(still too light) backing up Joe, and especially if CPJ looks for a RG solution other than Devine/Brown (then he will need another T).

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Every once in a while, I find myself wanting more stats from our DL. I find myself primarily judging last year's by stats. After reading through this thread, I am reminded that I still want far better stats. Sacks, TFL's, tackles, etc. But, even more I want pressure. If we could just get more pressure, our whole D gets better.

I know that many of you are way up the road on that one. But, I have to remind myself that what we need most won't all show up at the end of the year necessarily in the stats looking that different for the linemen.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I believe C Griffin was injured and did not practice.

You are right, I missed L Griffin. I sure hope he gets a chance to get out there!