Predicted depth chart

If gamble,kallon,and JHD can elevate their game , I think we have a chance to be good this year. We know what to expect from Gostis and Freeman. I would like to see our LBs step their game as up as well. Our secondary will be fine if the front 7 can generate a pass rush.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think folks are losing how important a good sde is on a 4-3. He is as much the anchor as any dt. Ever run spill is stuck by that end. I said this beginning of last year. How the edges are an issue.

But how far are we? We need a guy like aj gray to blossom. We need hunt to blow up allowing us to slide gamble. We are not there at lb. we arent. Too young. Pj is really it. The other guys are just there. We need to allow a guy like gamble to get a bunch of reps at sde.

Imo we have a timing issue. We have dl pieces this year but not the lbs and youth in a few key secondary spots potentially. Next year we could have a few stud lbs. but. Have young dts and one young de with a totally new secondary.

Our issue is as much timing as anything. Roof needs to keep the aggressive scheme up. I am biased. But this personnel under tenuta would be freaking salty. Tough. We have an ideal 3deep secondary, athletic dl and a lb who can move. So its alot of things.

I dont think we are far. But still a few key gaps. And remember i am anlayzing based on our current scheme. I think we can mask some of those gaps with the right packages

I really think we'll be fine on the DL this year. Kreeman has the rush end on lockdown. Between Gotsis, Hunt-Days, Gamble, and Kallon we've got plenty of depth up the middle.

The only possible problem is the other DE. Between Rook-Chungong, Whitehead, and Saint-Amour we should have enough talent to get by, especially if Saint-Amour is ready out of the box.

In terms of LB, we had an unfortunately defection in Harrell. If we had him we wouldn't be weak at LB.

In terms of timing, I'd rather have rotating strengths than have everybody graduate and have to replace 8 starters. We don't get ridiculous recruits at every position every year. So if we had experienced LBs this year, we would be looking to replace them next year (along with some of our DL).

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Like 33jacket said, a lot depends on Kallon being a good DT backup and allowing Gamble to be able to play SDE, he played really well there late in the season. Another possibilty is the true freshman Henderson, an early enrollee coming in, if he could provide quality backup depth at DT it would be great.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I really think we'll be fine on the DL this year. Kreeman has the rush end on lockdown. Between Gotsis, Hunt-Days, Gamble, and Kallon we've got plenty of depth up the middle.

The only possible problem is the other DE. Between Rook-Chungong, Whitehead, and Saint-Amour we should have enough talent to get by, especially if Saint-Amour is ready out of the box.

In terms of LB, we had an unfortunately defection in Harrell. If we had him we wouldn't be weak at LB.

In terms of timing, I'd rather have rotating strengths than have everybody graduate and have to replace 8 starters. We don't get ridiculous recruits at every position every year. So if we had experienced LBs this year, we would be looking to replace them next year (along with some of our DL).

I just don't see a guy at 209 being able to hold down the SDE spot (whitehead). I can't speak for Saint-Amour...if he is 240 its light but possible too if he plays with great leverage and hands. Ideally you want a guy 265/270 there....So for me, we don't have many options there...Its a physical spot. You rarely see true freshman at DT. middle OL and SDE for good reason...the maturity of body is needed....sure it happens once in a while...but very rare...

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I just don't see a guy at 209 being able to hold down the SDE spot (whitehead). I can't speak for Saint-Amour...if he is 240 its light but possible too if he plays with great leverage and hands. Ideally you want a guy 265/270 there....So for me, we don't have many options there...Its a physical spot. You rarely see true freshman at DT. middle OL and SDE for good reason...the maturity of body is needed....sure it happens once in a while...but very rare...

Double post

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

My guess is Whitehead weighs a lot more than 209 right now, particularly at 6-5 (Jabari is listed at 261, for example, even though he's now in the 290s). I don't think we will have any SDEs at 265 this year - I would anticipate we will try to leverage our strength up the middle to free up our guys on the edge or, alternatively, if we are getting dominated up front I wouldn't be surprised to see us stack Gamble or Gotsis at SDE.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
My guess is Whitehead weighs a lot more than 209 right now, particularly at 6-5 (Jabari is listed at 261, for example, even though he's now in the 290s). I don't think we will have any SDEs at 265 this year - I would anticipate we will try to leverage our strength up the middle to free up our guys on the edge or, alternatively, if we are getting dominated up front I wouldn't be surprised to see us stack Gamble or Gotsis at SDE.

Well gamble has to be 270 or 280 if we slide him. But yeah i am with u

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
What an interesting thread. But we might be missing the main point. Our depth. Are our starters All-Americans? Nope, but a couple possibly could be with monster seasons. Gotsis and White might have two or three perfect games and pad their statistics enough to get the media's attention. Sorta like Pat Swilling's senior year he had ten or twelve sacks, but around half of them came in the first game against NC State who for some reason forgot to assign anybody to block him most plays. Could happen to Gotsis. I could see some QB throwing three interceptions to White the way Rick Strom made an Auburn DE (Cotton?) the #1 draft pick by throwing him three screen passes one afternoon in 1987. If one of these monster games happened against ND, they would be a lock for AA.

What is going to make the difference in our defense this year is all the depth. This thread has a lot of players listed that can give quality minutes. Take DE - Freeman, Whitehead, Gamble, Simmons, Rook, even Stargell that no one has mentioned. I think we can go three deep at CB without being embarrassed. Even DT is beginning to have a legitimate two deep. Roof may start the season with 25 players he would use in a close game. By year end, that number may be 30. Two years ago, it was probably closer to 18. That means fresher players all season, not just in any one game. Fewer players playing hurt or sick. We've had some bad late Octobers and Novembers in the last fews years after good starts. Hopefully that all ended last year.

Last year on offense in the last half of the season, CPJ could throw waves of players at the opposition especially at RB. It paid off. Roof may actually be in a better position depth wise this year than CPJ, and I think our offensive depth is good. Most years uga beats us with depth not talent. Not last year, nor will they this year.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
What a difference a year makes. Flashback: Our savior at Rush end (Whitehead) was not going to get to play. Now he is mentioned as a footnote or because of his weight being only 210. I mention this because he is the same player/better than a year ago but we know more about Freeman, Simmons,Gamble and Rook. I just can't think of a time in the past few (few = 20 years for old guys) years that we have had as many options for the rush end position. If you are bored, go back and watch tape on Whitehead,Simmons and incoming freshman Saint-Amour. I would love the many options on 3rd and 15. Let the competition begin!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Maybe I am splitting hairs but I was pleased that he preceded "better" with "much". CPJ is not one for hyperbole and I hope his optimism is born out this year.

Hearing the "much" is better than not but I can't put too much stock into it. I think he believes our D was good at 2 things last year. Takeaways and resilience. So "much" better in his mind might still be just average overall.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Pretty much agree with everything 33jacket said.

I love Gamble and appreciate what he brings to our D. I still think he's a more natural DT than SDE. I worry about the pressure he can bring against the QB consistently.

SDE is still the key to me. I think we will see some new blood step up at a couple of the linebacker spots. I'm not worried about the secondary.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have heard we may have put as much as 10lbs. or so on Whitehead. That would only make him in the 220lb category, I realize. But, it's better than when he came in.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
With Freeman; Simmons; and Whitehead rushing the passer this season in Ted Roof designed packages at DE, along with PJ Davis lurking near the LOS, the pressure on opponents Offensive lines and RB's staying in the backfield to block ought to be lots of fun to watch.

I'll trust Gotsis and hopefully JHD to stuff the draw and our DB's to limit screen pass dump offs. Sacks aside I'll be perfectly happy with QB's getting happy feet and tossing the rock away to avoid a sack.

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that JHD gets official word on his eligibilty from the Hill real soon.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
With Freeman; Simmons; and Whitehead rushing the passer this season in Ted Roof designed packages at DE, along with PJ Davis lurking near the LOS, the pressure on opponents Offensive lines and RB's staying in the backfield to block ought to be lots of fun to watch.

I'll trust Gotsis and hopefully JHD to stuff the draw and our DB's to limit screen pass dump offs. Sacks aside I'll be perfectly happy with QB's getting happy feet and tossing the rock away to avoid a sack.

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that JHD gets official word on his eligibilty from the Hill real soon.
I hope screen passes are met before they get to the secondary.