Predicted depth chart

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
The talent on our DLine is why I think Simmons could be a sack leader this year. His first step, on film, is out of this world. If JHD and Gotsis disrupt the middle of the pocket like the Internet disrupted USPS, then that's easy pickings for the WDE. I love freeman, but let's hope our sack leader has more than 4.5 sacks this year.

As for Howell vs. philpott, I just went for the undervalued freshman WR (no, not brad Stewart). 5 mins of tape don't tell you much, but he looked like a relentless blocker. Also, he enrolled early right? That's a big head start. Juene seems like our deep threat. Summers is the speedster + experience (4.3 40 if I remember correctly). I'm guessing if a freshman plays early, it will be because of blocking issues (I word banned). Still, you're probably rifht

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
This isn't related to the offensive depth chart but what do you think the DL depth chart will look like? Our 2 deep is so strong that we can move players around at ease but which lineup will create the most production? As of now the depth chart is
DE rook-chungong, whitehead
DE freeman, Simmons
NT gotsis, kallon
DT gamble, Jabari

Will gotsis be moved? Will JHD be a starter? Or will it stay as is?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This isn't related to the offensive depth chart but what do you think the DL depth chart will look like? Our 2 deep is so strong that we can move players around at ease but which lineup will create the most production? As of now the depth chart is
DE freeman, Simmons
NT gotsis, kallon
DT gamble, Jabari

So, park me in the 2deep is not really that strong. In fact we are one injury from DT to be pretty thin IMO. Kallon is improved, but the word is not a starter. We really have 3.5 to play 2. Not that deep.

End a little deeper, but I still see dropoff.....but look, we are better than last year for sure so I am not complaining...but I don't see us as cured either.

I also see Hunt as the 1 tech. Not Gotsis. He is the 3tech. I also see that flip for the backups too. Kallon the 1. Gamble the 3.

For me, its freeman, gotsis for sure.

If hunt starts then you slide Gamble out.

IF gamble starts at the 3tech. Then hunt is a backup and the SDE is Rook.

DE freeman, Simmons
NT gotsis, kallon
DT gamble, Jabari

Our D Line is not strong by any means! Are they going to be better than last year ? Probably so , but I don't expect this line to dominate. Some guys on here believe they will but I'm the type that you have to show me before I believe it.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
CPJ' statement "We're anxiously optimistic that we're going to be much better defensively and hopefully they can be a big part of leading the team early on till some of the young skill guys can develop" hits my expectation as well. It is hard to see how we wouldn't be significantly better than last year with 8 starters back, each with more experience and more strength as well as the addition of Jabari, Whitehead etc. My main concern is always injuries. They are the wild cards that can change a season quickly.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
CPJ' statement "We're anxiously optimistic that we're going to be much better defensively and hopefully they can be a big part of leading the team early on till some of the young skill guys can develop" hits my expectation as well.
Yes, he said exactly what a lot of us were thinking or saying.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just saw where Antonio Simmons is listing himself as 242...that's a big jump for him!:)

The question is whether that's good weight that will stick during the season, or "puff" weight that melts off once fall camp comes around and as the season progresses.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My predictions*:
  • Clinton Lynch will be this year's most pleasant surprise
  • Omahri Jarrett will make the biggest impact at AB among the freshmen (senior highlight tape is worth watching)
  • If a freshman makes an impact at BB, it will be Marcus Marshall
  • Harland Howell will be the first true freshman to see playing time at WR
(*I reserve the right to be over joyous if/when my predictions turn out to be wrong and 1 of the 10 other new skilled players turns out to be our next freshman all-america)

My Defensive Freshmen Predictions:
  • Tyler Cooksey may start by the end of the year.
  • Vic Alexander should not be allowed within 500 yards of Justin Thomas during practice
  • Dorian Walker.

I would actually pay to see the first time they go live and Vicious puts the hammer down on someone. I think our ABs are going to quickly learn they need to have their heads on a swivel with him patrolling his area.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I am splitting hairs but I was pleased that he preceded "better" with "much". CPJ is not one for hyperbole and I hope his optimism is born out this year.
Good catch. I think you are right. CPJ tends to understate things if anything. For him to say "much better," is about as exuberant as he is ever going to get.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I would actually pay to see the first time they go live and Vicious puts the hammer down on someone. I think our ABs are going to quickly learn they need to have their heads on a swivel with him patrolling his area.
I hate to say this, but he reminds me of some of those old Miami LB's that would try to murder people when they hit them. That's a good thing for us.

Ah, what's the fun in that! :)
Some of these guys really believe that this D line is going to dominate. After last year, I'm just not convinced of it. We have some good players but we're not going to see the same players make this huge Jump. I hope they do ! Man that would be great but some improvement is more of the realistic statement At this point.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One monster DT can transform a D-line, IF Jabari is all that we hope and dream then the rest of his linemen mates are going to feast. At the very least we can hope for improvement if Jabari is at least as good as Green was and that Freeman/Simmons are bigger and stronger and that Whitehead makes a difference.