Pre-Season Projected Starters

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
"He better be accurate with the play signals bc that is the most action he’ll most likely see"

Isn't exactly a glowing recommendation.

Now 1) tell us where you see awful 3) If you ever been on 2) If you’ve ever been around the game of football, tell us what the 3rd string QB responsibility is?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Now 1) tell us where you see awful 3) If you ever been on 2) If you’ve ever been around the game of football, tell us what the 3rd string QB responsibility is?
If you really want to play stupid semantic word games then tell me where I ever said that you personally said he was awful, because I never did. My posts weren't aimed at you, they were aimed at multiple reports. I added awful because in my opinion if you are doing so bad that you really aren't competing with a true freshman or a guy who hasn't even arrived yet then you are doing pretty awful. I tend to think that some of the reports are probably exaggerating things because of existing agendas, but if they aren't and he truly has no chance at all to compete even for a backup spot then that is disappointing.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
he hasn’t really done that well. he is not bad but he hasn’t done anything special. he has very clearly been brought in to be a backup
Not trying to dump on our WR’s or TE’s but but who do we have on the roster that HAS done something special?

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Not trying to dump on our WR’s or TE’s but but who do we have on the roster that HAS done something special?
Not many have gotten the chance but Jenkins has scored 13 TDs in a single season which would rank second all time for GT (obviously his was against lower competition). Carter and McCollum have shown flashes of what they can do and the TEs have never had an OC that calls plays for them until this year. A lot of unknowns but also a lot of potential. Probably the highest upside WR group we have had since Smelter and Waller.

JacketFan137

Banned
consistently no. we’ve seen flashes from various guys. sims, dontae, charlie thomas, but never really put together bunches of games

optimistic that long will figure out a way to really bring that out more and put our players in a position to succeed

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If you really want to play stupid semantic word games then tell me where I ever said that you personally said he was awful, because I never did. My posts weren't aimed at you, they were aimed at multiple reports. I added awful because in my opinion if you are doing so bad that you really aren't competing with a true freshman or a guy who hasn't even arrived yet then you are doing pretty awful. I tend to think that some of the reports are probably exaggerating things because of existing agendas, but if they aren't and he truly has no chance at all to compete even for a backup spot then that is disappointing.

It’s not semantics. It is your words and your need to be a contrarian.

I’m not sure how i missed your last statement on a previous post. What do you mean about it’s obvious why i don’t like Gibson?

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow
My projected 2-deep for the Clemson game
Offense
QB: Sims / Gibson
RB: Smith and McDuffie / Hall
TE: Leonard / Benson
WR: Carter / Norris
WR: Jenkins / Blackburn
Slot: Rutherford / McCollum
LT: Williams / Green
G: Quick / Lay
C: Franklin / Adams
G: Tchio / Vaipulu
RT: Leftwich / Green
Defense
WDE: Kennard / Robinson
DT: Biggers / Chimedza
DT: Scott / Douse
SDE: White / Yondjuen
LB: Eley / Tatum
LB: Thomas / Knight
CB: Walton / Watson
Nickel: Edwards or Bennett / Gee
SS: King / Huff
FS: Allen / Brooks
CB: Sims / Johnson

Reasoning: I think Smith and McDuffie will be a 1a/1b situation with Hall being the third guy. I also put Blackburn as a backup because I believe he is still out and missing practice. Also, Dj Moore could see time later in the year.

For nickel, I think Edwards will be more of a safety/lb guy and Bennett will be more of a traditional slot cb, similar to how Kaleb Oliver and Wesley Walker split time a few years ago. Also, I don’t know much about the incoming transfers so that could change up a few of the backups. I also don’t know much about most of the freshmen, and some of them could come in and shake things up as well.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Offense
Defense

Reasoning: I think Smith and McDuffie will be a 1a/1b situation with Hall being the third guy. I also put Blackburn as a backup because I believe he is still out and missing practice. Also, Dj Moore could see time later in the year.

For nickel, I think Edwards will be more of a safety/lb guy and Bennett will be more of a traditional slot cb, similar to how Kaleb Oliver and Wesley Walker split time a few years ago. Also, I don’t know much about the incoming transfers so that could change up a few of the backups. I also don’t know much about most of the freshmen, and some of them could come in and shake things up as well.
Being in Wisconsin, I don't get too much specific info on how individual players are doing. Thanks for your thoughts.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
So what’s the deal with Bubba? Did he retweak his injury (achilles?)? I know those things take a while to heal. He’s been working out and doing OTAs like everyone else it seems? Are they being cautious? It would be very Tech like to not have him again. They’ve been hyping the absolute sh*t outta that kid for him to end up not playing. I feel like we always have an August surprise tho.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
So what’s the deal with Bubba? Did he retweak his injury (achilles?)? I know those things take a while to heal. He’s been working out and doing OTAs like everyone else it seems? Are they being cautious? It would be very Tech like to not have him again. They’ve been hyping the absolute sh*t outta that kid for him to end up not playing. I feel like we always have an August surprise tho.
I feel like he’s our Mike Soroka.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Offense
Defense

I still think TK starts at DT. However I also think interior line and DB’s will have a heavy rotation of guys. Otherwise I agree with everything else. Could see Quick stay at T but depends if someone else is ready to step into that G spot.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
That guy u mentioned played only at Tech and didn't leave the chicken pen because he couldn't cut it. I get what ur doing, but it is definitely a reach to say he will be top 3 in receptions. Have u seen the team practice to put EJ as "hybrid." Can't recall that term being used when describing the offense tech us running this year. I did hear the TE will be heavily used. So there us that angle. If EJ beats out in house established players for any significant PT, the season is going badly and Tech is looking for a new coach.
Problem is we really do not have in house established players. No wr on this roster is a proven commodity, especially with a new wr coach. Carter is the most experienced but he has not done anything that makes him a lock to start. There is plenty of opportunity there for whomever wants to take it.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I still think TK starts at DT. However I also think interior line and DB’s will have a heavy rotation of guys. Otherwise I agree with everything else. Could see Quick stay at T but depends if someone else is ready to step into that G spot.
If Quick is really around 280 ,then he stays at tackle.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Offense
Defense

Great job with this. Par for the course over the past few years but appears our Oline is once again most vulnerable from an injury perspective - if we lose one or two OT's the whole thing falls apart again like last year. They missed getting another OT with experience in the portal in the offseason. Clearly not enough upper class depth on the Oline - injuries here (or not) will likely be the most significant variable to overall success this season...

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Offense
Defense

This feels pretty close based on what we have heard as well as coaches comments.
Turner's comments suggest that Douse and Scott are ahead of everyone else at DT.
Quick is listed at 6'5, 291 - that seems way too small/light to play tackle as some have suggested.

slugboy

Staff member
A couple of comments (not a depth chart):
  • Reportedly, Long likes running 12 personnel sets. If he does, it'll be interesting to see who the second TE is--and whether they're in to block more than they're in to catch.
  • I don't want to see the 3rd or 4th QB unless we're up by 50. BUT, I've seen the third-string QB in close games in the last decade or so--it happens.
  • I would expect us to pull out something weird for the Clemson game. 13 personnel, H-back, split backs and using one back as a receiver. To get to 6 or 7 wins, we need an upset, and we get more practice time and planning time for Clemson than for anyone.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
  • Reportedly, Long likes running 12 personnel sets. If he does, it'll be interesting to see who the second TE is--and whether they're in to block more than they're in to catch.
  • I don't want to see the 3rd or 4th QB unless we're up by 50. BUT, I've seen the third-string QB in close games in the last decade or so--it happens.
  • I would expect us to pull out something weird for the Clemson game. 13 personnel, H-back, split backs and using one back as a receiver. To get to 6 or 7 wins, we need an upset, and we get more practice time and planning time for Clemson than for anyone.
yep, --The GOOD aspect of Clem game is that we have a lot of time to prepare with special plays.looks,etc.Plus we have WC following.to re-energize before the next big hurdle. (of course if we don't crush WC, the whole plan is kaput!!!)

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Apparently the second tight end is more of a full back type that can line up all over (there is a Y and F tight end) similar to how the Pats used Gronk and Hernandez.

The Y is Leonard and the F is Benson and Peje