Pre-Season Projected Starters

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
At RB I expect McDuffie to get the most snaps. Hall and Dontae will be 3rd down /mismatch/change of pace backs. Dontae has proven he is a formidable change of pace back. One or both of the tr-fr backs will get snaps IMO, as hard for RBs to stay healthy.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
At RB I expect McDuffie to get the most snaps. Hall and Dontae will be 3rd down /mismatch/change of pace backs. Dontae has proven he is a formidable change of pace back. One or both of the tr-fr backs will get snaps IMO, as hard for RBs to stay healthy.
Which of the three is the best blocker? With a youngish line may need to keep a back in to protect the QB in passing situations.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Best blocker? My guess is McDuffie due to size and experience.

If Sims can be accurate and WR can win 1 on 1 I could see us max protect and have some success. Having a decent running game would help the play action game as well.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
This guy must be a real bruiser with speed if he’s going to knock Dontae Smith out of the starting position. If he’s still a back up we’re gonna have one helluva running attack.

JacketFan137

Banned
i think change of pace back is selling dontae a little short. he is incredibly physical and difficult to bring down (see that stupid call in the unc game where he dragged several guys before being unfairly ruled down by forward progress). i think he’s capable of being a 3 down back and is gonna feature early and often. i would bet it’s closer to an even split with him and mcduffie

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Just give these guys a little crease in the line and let them roll. The key is opening a hole for them. It will be tough against Clemson DL. Need to keep them off balance IMO with quick passes on first down, etc. Long likes to run first but that may not be so wise in our first game. Can't get into a lot of 3rd and longs. Hope he has some surprises and we can find a couple of good matchups in the OL. Our toughness will be tested.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
i think change of pace back is selling dontae a little short. he is incredibly physical and difficult to bring down (see that stupid call in the unc game where he dragged several guys before being unfairly ruled down by forward progress). i think he’s capable of being a 3 down back and is gonna feature early and often. i would bet it’s closer to an even split with him and mcduffie
Don't disagree....Dontae runs tough and with a lot of heart. I think Chip will find ways to get him the ball. I still think for games with a steady diet of between the tackle runs McDuffie is the guy who will stand up to the pounding.

I don't think Dontae could maintain physical run after physical run with the same kind of effort and stay healthy. Doesn't mean he's not terrific.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The CG "ready"list is out. Bit scary that a walkon is on it at LB (1 of 6 ). Aren't LBs suppose to be the heart of coverage teams, hmmm
Of course last yr several guys ended up playing that weren't on the list.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The CG "ready"list is out. Bit scary that a walkon is on it at LB (1 of 6 ). Aren't LBs suppose to be the heart of coverage teams, hmmm
Taylor McCawley. We'll see what happens, but we've had walk-ons that turned out to be excellent in the past.

Hats off to him for getting on the ATL list. If he contributes, hats off to player development.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Thacker specifically pointed out the LB position as one that will see less substitutions this year. If McCawley balled out at camp and practice, putting him on the ATL is safe motivation for other players on the roster.

It's also possible that he is just that good. There are walk-ons every year that end up on P5 starting rosters.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Thacker specifically pointed out the LB position as one that will see less substitutions this year. If McCawley balled out at camp and practice, putting him on the ATL is safe motivation for other players on the roster.

It's also possible that he is just that good. There are walk-ons every year that end up on P5 starting rosters.
I heard DKnight say in an interview that McCawley was one of the top 2-3 fastest LBs in the program.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Above the line chart out. Pretty sad to see Leo Blackburn not there. Hope he’s back for Ole piss and throws their defense an unexpected look
That’s not unexpected. He hasn’t participated in fall camp due to a separate injury that is not his ACL.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Taylor McCawley. We'll see what happens, but we've had walk-ons that turned out to be excellent in the past.

Hats off to him for getting on the ATL list. If he contributes, hats off to player development.
I congratulate McCawley but I was more concerned that 2 heralded guys ,Meiguez and Franks, are not on it. We didn't get a transfer LB so we are light there.

Also,speaking of transfers----- Gibbs is a starter at Bama.Ivy is probably a starter at Ms St and Morris Joseph is 2nd unit DE at awbern.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I congratulate McCawley but I was more concerned that 2 heralded guys ,Meiguez and Franks, are not on it. We didn't get a transfer LB so we are light there.

Also,speaking of transfers----- Gibbs is a starter at Bama.Ivy is probably a starter at Ms St and Morris Joseph is 2nd unit DE at awbern.
Yeah, need to get Franks and Meiguez, the "Twin Towers", on the field. I'm guessing they're both injured?

High school classmate of Georgia Tech teammate Tyson Meiguez – together, the defensive line tandem were known as Creekside’s “Twin Towers”

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
McCawley is a special teams guy.

The ATL is a pat on the back for hard work for some of these guys. I like it because it tells me who had a good camp. I keep up with the program so I have a good idea who will get snaps, so I don't care about a depth chart. If you don't keep up with the roster, I guess you want a depth chart, even though the term "starter" is not particularly relevant at many positions. Clemson had 8 "or" notations on their offensive depth chart. Effectively it's an ATL chart with 19 players on O.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
McCawley is a special teams guy.

The ATL is a pat on the back for hard work for some of these guys. I like it because it tells me who had a good camp. I keep up with the program so I have a good idea who will get snaps, so I don't care about a depth chart. If you don't keep up with the roster, I guess you want a depth chart, even though the term "starter" is not particularly relevant at many positions. Clemson had 8 "or" notations on their offensive depth chart. Effectively it's an ATL chart with 19 players on O.
Since you are still keeping up with the program, do you know the status of DL Grey Carroll? Seems like he came with knee problems, had more knee problems, but is still on the roster. I had heard that he was really hard to block when he's healthy and we need some hard to block on the DL IMO. Anyone else that knows anything please jump in and let us know.