Pre-Season Projected Starters

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Since it’s a slow time of year and fall camp is starting soon I thought I’d throw out my projected starters and sleepers for the year.

Offense:
QB: Sims
RB: Dontae
WR: Carter
WR: Blackburn
Slot: McCollum or Rutherford
TE: Leonard
LT: Williams
LG: Tchio
C: Franklin or Adams
RG: Quick
RT: Leftwich or Robinson

Breakout players:
Blackburn
- obviously his only question mark is his health after last years injury. I’m betting on him being close to 100% and being our breakout star this year at WR.
McDuffie- All three RBs will be great this year and I’m predicting an even better year out of this group despite losing Gibbs and Mason. McDuffie is a legit ACC starting caliber RB and will breakout (although not really a breakout after rushing over 1000 last year).
McCollum and Rutherford- Both Rutherford and McCollum will have big seasons this year (I couldn’t choose one). I think the new offense will emphasize getting the ball out quickly and their speed and route running will make for easy targets for Sims in the slot.

Breakout Freshman:
DJ Moore
- I think he will push for a starting job by the end of the year and will be the future star WR for us along with Blackburn.

Defense:
DE: Kennard or Harris
DT: Douse
DT: Biggers
DE: Keion
LB: Thomas
LB: Ace
Nickel: Edwards
CB: Sims
CB: Walton
S: King
S: Allen

Breakout players:
Zeke Biggers-
Like Blackburn, his biggest question mark is his health. Reports are saying he’s fully healthy and has lost weight while gaining strength. I’m projecting him to win the starting job and this will be his breakout year.
Charlie Thomas- He kinda broke out last year but faded hard by the end of the year. I think he will be our best defender and leading tackler this year. Bold prediction- he will be a first or second team all ACC player this year.
Derrick Allen- Our revamped secondary will have to improve this year and I think we have the talent to look completely different (in a good way). Allen has continued to improve each year and looked good this Spring. I think he will anchor the secondary and lead the team in INTs. Edwards and King will also have big years.

Breakout Freshman:
Jaylin Marshall-
Marshall has the size and freaky athleticism to play early. He stood out in the spring and I think should be in the 2 deep at Safety as a freshman. I don’t see many freshman playing on D this year but he might be one that is too good to keep off the field.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Since it’s a slow time of year and fall camp is starting soon I thought I’d throw out my projected starters and sleepers for the year.

Offense:

Breakout players:
Blackburn
- obviously his only question mark is his health after last years injury. I’m betting on him being close to 100% and being our breakout star this year at WR.
McDuffie- All three RBs will be great this year and I’m predicting an even better year out of this group despite losing Gibbs and Mason. McDuffie is a legit ACC starting caliber RB and will breakout (although not really a breakout after rushing over 1000 last year).
McCollum and Rutherford- Both Rutherford and McCollum will have big seasons this year (I couldn’t choose one). I think the new offense will emphasize getting the ball out quickly and their speed and route running will make for easy targets for Sims in the slot.

Breakout Freshman:
DJ Moore
- I think he will push for a starting job by the end of the year and will be the future star WR for us along with Blackburn.

Defense:

Breakout players:
Zeke Biggers-
Like Blackburn, his biggest question mark is his health. Reports are saying he’s fully healthy and has lost weight while gaining strength. I’m projecting him to win the starting job and this will be his breakout year.
Charlie Thomas- He kinda broke out last year but faded hard by the end of the year. I think he will be our best defender and leading tackler this year. Bold prediction- he will be a first or second team all ACC player this year.
Derrick Allen- Our revamped secondary will have to improve this year and I think we have the talent to look completely different (in a good way). Allen has continued to improve each year and looked good this Spring. I think he will anchor the secondary and lead the team in INTs. Edwards and King will also have big years.

Breakout Freshman:
Jaylin Marshall-
Marshall has the size and freaky athleticism to play early. He stood out in the spring and I think should be in the 2 deep at Safety as a freshman. I don’t see many freshman playing on D this year but he might be one that is too good to keep off the field.
Agree with all of it except maybe DT. I think Chimedza comes back and takes a spot at DT.

Buzz_404

Jolly Good Fellow

Offense:

Breakout players:
Blackburn

Breakout Freshman:
DJ Moore

Defense:

Breakout players:
Zeke Biggers-

Breakout Freshman:
Jaylin Marshall-
What about Kalani Norris

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
He's never played a down but his only question mark is health?
The dude is special. There was hope he would start last year after seeing what he did in camp before getting injured. He might be the closest thing we have on this roster to a Gibbs level talent. ACL isn’t an easy recovery though so still a lot of unknowns due to that.

Buzz_404

Jolly Good Fellow
The dude is special. There was hope he would start last year after seeing what he did in camp before getting injured. He might be the closest thing we have on this roster to a Gibbs level talent. ACL isn’t an easy recovery though so still a lot of unknowns due to that.
You forgot about kalani norris

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Offense:

Breakout players:
Blackburn

Breakout Freshman:
DJ Moore

Defense:

Breakout players:
Zeke Biggers-

Breakout Freshman:
Jaylin Marshall-
Thank you very much for this, very informative. I don't know the players like you so very helpful. Two things stood out to me 1) the new names, it's like the whole team has turned over. and 2) Thomas remains our best player. I agree he fell off at the end of the year but I think for two reasons 1) he got tired of losing, and 2) he's not that big and wore out. I think we need to rest him some this year even of we don't want to.

Last edited:

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
With the addition of new offensive coaches, I wonder if Sims could be replaced early if the offense starts the season slowly. I think Daniels has good running backs to work with, but that offensive line with the exception of Williams is a big unknown. I wish Adonicas Sanders had stayed.

Georgia Tech Fan
Gtech50 You seem to have a very optimistic outlook but that's ok. I agree with the poster about Chimedza. He is our best dt.if healthy.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Gtech50 You seem to have a very optimistic outlook but that's ok. I agree with the poster about Chimedza. He is our best dt.if healthy.
There is a lot to be concerned about with the lack of experience on the OL and DB, but I think our skill positions on offense will be the best we’ve had under Collins. The season will depend on how well the OL does and how well the young DBs gel

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
With the addition of new offensive coaches, I wonder if Sims could be replaced early if the offense starts the season slowly. I think Daniels has good running backs to work with, but that offensive line with the exception of Williams is a big unknown. I wish Adonicas Sanders had stayed.
I think that sims will be replaced by gibson if sims starts like last year agains niu

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sims needs to be able to improve with his throws over the middle. Seemed like he had a bunch batted down at the LOS. If he wants to throw to the TE over middle he needs to improve that part of his game. The OL needs to help him and keep the DL hands down.

kalld12

Banned
I think that sims will be replaced by gibson if sims starts like last year agains niu
He will be on a very short leash, CGC doesn't have time this year for development with a 3 yr starter. Hopefully he will start the year off strong and cement himself as the undisputed starter. If not, we will find out what we got in our new additions from this offseason in Gibson and Clemson transfer.