Pre-Season Projected Starters

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
His passer rating would have been in the top 15 in the country if he had enough reps. He was getting interest and offers from multiple P5 teams from the portal and had a decent transfer rating. To hear that he isn't really even in the competition to be the backup is pretty surprising and disappointing. Unless those reports are exaggerated, which hopefully they are.
Who was it that said Gibson is behind a high school recruit that was injured?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
His passer rating would have been in the top 15 in the country if he had enough reps. He was getting interest and offers from multiple P5 teams from the portal and had a decent transfer rating. To hear that he isn't really even in the competition to be the backup is pretty surprising and disappointing. Unless those reports are exaggerated, which hopefully they are.

So a small sample size can skew the numbers? Shocking

This almost like the Yates convo.

JacketFan137

Banned

i would also say based on his abilities we better hope he isn’t the starter. the ceiling with sims and taisun is so much higher if neither can beat out gibson that’s a bad sign they’re never going to hit their potential

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

It wasn't a small sample size, just not a full season. It was roughly the same amount of playing time as Sims got last year. Why in your opinion was Gibson being recruited by multiple P5 teams if he is as awful as you say he is? Why was he rated half a point higher than Taisun as a transfer if he is not nearly as good as Taisun? We all know why you dislike Gibson. It's pretty obvious. You should give the kid a chance though.

ScGold

Banned
He’s not even playing the same position here that he played at USCe and USCe had a lot of TE talent to compete with. EJ had 800 yards and 13 TDs in 2019 as a WR and sat out 2020 with Covid. He will easily be a top 3 WR for us this year.
So he is playing a new position in a new offense and you hope he is a one of the top 3 ball catchers on the team? You must not think much of the options already on the roster?

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
So he is playing a new position in a new offense and you hope he is a one of the top 3 ball catchers on the team? You must not think much of the options already on the roster?
Did you not read my post? It’s not a new position for him…it’s the position he’s always played before USCe. The new offense means the competition is open and others won’t have the advantage of knowing the system better. You’re not very good at arguing are you?

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I assume we'll use him as a hybrid between WR and TE just depends on the formation. plus remember last time we had a guy with that size, He's playing in the nfl as a top 5 TE.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't a small sample size, just not a full season. It was roughly the same amount of playing time as Sims got last year.

It was effectively 5 games (got the end of game drive against OSU and two series against Buffalo). That's a small sample size.

He was a third year player at Akron who lost the starting job to a Juco QB to start the year, came in against relatively weak competition and played well, but still didn't really stand out in his production unless the only thing you care about is not throwing INTs.

He's taking a big step up in competition, into a new offense, and is probably being asked to make more plays rather than just not make mistakes, so it really shouldn't be all that surprising that his performance isn't going to be that in line with what he did in just 5 games.

ScGold

Banned
I assume we'll use him as a hybrid between WR and TE just depends on the formation. plus remember last time we had a guy with that size, He's playing in the nfl as a top 5 TE.
That guy u mentioned played only at Tech and didn't leave the chicken pen because he couldn't cut it. I get what ur doing, but it is definitely a reach to say he will be top 3 in receptions. Have u seen the team practice to put EJ as "hybrid." Can't recall that term being used when describing the offense tech us running this year. I did hear the TE will be heavily used. So there us that angle. If EJ beats out in house established players for any significant PT, the season is going badly and Tech is looking for a new coach.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
That guy u mentioned played only at Tech and didn't leave the chicken pen because he couldn't cut it. I get what ur doing, but it is definitely a reach to say he will be top 3 in receptions. Have u seen the team practice to put EJ as "hybrid." Can't recall that term being used when describing the offense tech us running this year. I did hear the TE will be heavily used. So there us that angle. If EJ beats out in house established players for any significant PT, the season is going badly and Tech is looking for a new coach.
CCL uses a lot of 2 TEs and calls them the F and Y roles.

The F moves around and can line up as a slot, wide out or even hback style runner.

The Y is more of a traditional blocking player.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It wasn't a small sample size, just not a full season. It was roughly the same amount of playing time as Sims got last year. Why in your opinion was Gibson being recruited by multiple P5 teams if he is as awful as you say he is? Why was he rated half a point higher than Taisun as a transfer if he is not nearly as good as Taisun? We all know why you dislike Gibson. It's pretty obvious. You should give the kid a chance though.

Again, show where i called Gibson awful? Maybe the staff is as worried as you are that they took another QB who is .5pt lower than Gibson post spring practice.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Since it’s a slow time of year and fall camp is starting soon I thought I’d throw out my projected starters and sleepers for the year.

Offense:
QB: Sims
RB: Dontae
WR: Carter
WR: Blackburn
Slot: McCollum or Rutherford
TE: Leonard
LT: Williams
LG: Tchio
C: Franklin or Adams
RG: Quick
RT: Leftwich or Robinson

Breakout players:
Blackburn
- obviously his only question mark is his health after last years injury. I’m betting on him being close to 100% and being our breakout star this year at WR.
McDuffie- All three RBs will be great this year and I’m predicting an even better year out of this group despite losing Gibbs and Mason. McDuffie is a legit ACC starting caliber RB and will breakout (although not really a breakout after rushing over 1000 last year).
McCollum and Rutherford- Both Rutherford and McCollum will have big seasons this year (I couldn’t choose one). I think the new offense will emphasize getting the ball out quickly and their speed and route running will make for easy targets for Sims in the slot.

Breakout Freshman:
DJ Moore
- I think he will push for a starting job by the end of the year and will be the future star WR for us along with Blackburn.

Defense:
DE: Kennard or Harris
DT: Douse
DT: Biggers
DE: Keion
LB: Thomas
LB: Ace
Nickel: Edwards
CB: Sims
CB: Walton
S: King
S: Allen

Breakout players:
Zeke Biggers-
Like Blackburn, his biggest question mark is his health. Reports are saying he’s fully healthy and has lost weight while gaining strength. I’m projecting him to win the starting job and this will be his breakout year.
Charlie Thomas- He kinda broke out last year but faded hard by the end of the year. I think he will be our best defender and leading tackler this year. Bold prediction- he will be a first or second team all ACC player this year.
Derrick Allen- Our revamped secondary will have to improve this year and I think we have the talent to look completely different (in a good way). Allen has continued to improve each year and looked good this Spring. I think he will anchor the secondary and lead the team in INTs. Edwards and King will also have big years.

Breakout Freshman:
Jaylin Marshall-
Marshall has the size and freaky athleticism to play early. He stood out in the spring and I think should be in the 2 deep at Safety as a freshman. I don’t see many freshman playing on D this year but he might be one that is too good to keep off the field.
This team will go as far as both lines will take them. Lots of question marks on both sides of the ball. This is Sims' time to show what he can do but he can't do anything running for his life. IIWII

JacketFan137

Banned
It never ceases to amaze how some people just feel the need to go outta their way to be a**holes and sh*t on Georgia Tech student athletes, current and former.
people say this whenever there is a thread about who should be starting or sitting. unfortunately football has 11 guys on each side of the ball. depth is a plus but only so many people can play. if people were taking personal shots at players and calling them names then that’s out of line but saying a guy doesn’t have the talent to start or should be lower on the depth chart is not “sh****ng” on anyone. at this level of football there is gonna be scrutiny for both coaches and players.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Again, show where i called Gibson awful? Maybe the staff is as worried as you are that they took another QB who is .5pt lower than Gibson post spring practice.
i checked the thread and you didn't say he was bad.

it seems to me you are saying that Gibson is an early season insurance policy and a training aid for sims and more gifted qbs. That seems like a good overall plan by the coaching staff. Making the value judgements on who gets playing time is harder than having on overall plan.

Ideally, Gibson never steps on the field because sims goes postal and then the long term backups are fully trained.

At least we will have a full qb room in fall practices. Now we look pretty good with potential talent and we have a credentialed staff coaching them. With cgc and thacker hooked at the hip, I trust key, long and the qb coach to get these guys ready.

JacketFan137

Banned
i checked the thread and you didn't say he was bad.

it seems to me you are saying that Gibson is an early season insurance policy and a training aid for sims and more gifted qbs. That seems like a good overall plan by the coaching staff. Making the value judgements on who gets playing time is harder than having on overall plan.

Ideally, Gibson never steps on the field because sims goes postal and then the long term backups are fully trained.

At least we will have a full qb room in fall practices. Now we look pretty good with potential talent and we have a credentialed staff coaching them. With cgc and thacker hooked at the hip, I trust key, long and the qb coach to get these guys ready.
i think gibson is basically there because throwing wise he is able to do a lot of the things long wants in the offense. last year we had to have two offenses because per kelly quinlan at JOL, yates didn’t have the physical tools as a runner or a passer to run the same things. i know throwing to the boundary was really tough for him.

gibson, should sims get hurt again, at least assures that we don’t have to start our offensive system over in the middle of the season

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
"He better be accurate with the play signals bc that is the most action he’ll most likely see"

Isn't exactly a glowing recommendation.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
1. Sims
2. Taisun
3. Gibson
4. Pyron
Based on the very limited amount I’ve seen them play, I’d switch Gibson and Phommachanh.
Certainly Phommachanh should have progressed since I saw him with Clemson, but he struggled.
Again - suoer small sample size…
And Pyron at 4 due to being a freshman is fair I think.