Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Guess I just don't believe them, until something is reported, or they give us extremely specific reasons to believe such a thing. If it is true, then obviously, TStan called other potential candidates and cancelled flight plans.

Understand that! You’re hearing this from a source with a source and you know neither. For what it’s worth (probably not much and again I understand) my source has reiterated that Collins has been offered and will accept.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
the drive to 212 seems slowing, guess we need a new rumor
Where did the 212 come from? 222 makes a lot more sense.

(I didn't read this whole thread, I jumped in around page 170 or so - I guess the 212 came up before that.)

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
For what it's worth, I think if Collins is hired, we would likely see a full staff shakeup on both sides of the ball. Very well could be that no coaches are retained. If I had to guess, I would say he would bring Andrew Thacker along with him as the new defensive coordinator. All of this is just my speculation based on my knowledge of the situation

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The BOR (made up of UGAG homers) would not even consider such a thing, but I like thinking about it.
If Prez even suggests anything that lessens ugag, we could have admin and supervision of engr research moved to ga st and ugag.
W
"In 1971, Bryant brought Texas Coach Darryl Royal and his assistant, Emory Bellard (who had devised the triple option wishbone offense) to Tuscaloosa for Bama’s August coaching clinic. After the clinic, Royal allowed Bellard to remain in Tuscaloosa for a few days, giving in-depth instruction to the Tide’s offensive staff – Mal Moore who was going to be the new quarterbacks coach (and de facto offensive coordinator, though no one had that title), running backs coach John David Crow, offensive line coaches Jimmy Sharpe and Jack Rutledge, and receivers coach Richard Williamson.

And Bryant declared to his staff that Alabama would sink or swim with the wishbone. Alabama opened the 1971 season against the same Southern Cal team that had run roughshod over Bama in Birmingham the year before. In Los Angeles, the Tide pulled a stunning upset, a 17-10 win in the first game with the new offense."
Ballard ran his offense at central texas and sw texas hs - did well against all comers w less talent.
In 69 70 James street, legendary u of teaxs qb , completed a 20-0 run using the bone. He was also a great baseball player. See the future and Icewater in his veins. Holloway at OU was a magician till he had knee injury.

Now b 12 is pass centric run pass option.
2018 it's time for a change.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm not sure Collins would keep Woody though being a defensive guy himself.
I think Ross was more of a defensive-minded guy, and he had O'Leary.
If he was offensive-minded, he had Fridge. Either way, he had sharp OC's.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we could stand to do a lot worse than Collins. As many have mentioned, my judgement of the hire would not be complete until the OC was announced.

That said, someone is going to get a really good HC in the near future in Tony Elliott - guy is a stud and I'd be willing to bet he has success wherever he goes.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think we could stand to do a lot worse than Collins. As many have mentioned, my judgement of the hire would not be complete until the OC was announced.

That said, someone is going to get a really good HC in the near future in Tony Elliott - guy is a stud and I'd be willing to bet he has success wherever he goes.

I believe that's true. No experience as HC, but a guy like Elliott we'll have to get in on the ground floor. Once he's gone, he's gone.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think Ross was more of a defensive-minded guy, and he had O'Leary.
If he was offensive-minded, he had Fridge. Either way, he had sharp OC's.
I think it's more the scheme. Generally it seems like head coaches that were formally a DC, like to keep a similar scheme in their DC (i.e. Collins being a 4-3 guy vs Woody being a 3-4 guy). Of course both like to have a havoc wreaking defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.