Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
We've devolved to the point where the primary purpose for posters is to argue 3O vs non-3O (and all things related, e.g. recruiting) and they are far less concerned with actually discussing who the next coach may be.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bryant went to the wishbone and started recruiting black players after Southern Cal beat the tar out of them. I think it was 1969. He realized he needed bigger and faster players. Bryant recruited running backs in high school and converted them to OL before that. Most were not big but he relied on quickness. He saw what a big and faster line could do with the USC beatdown. He went to Texas with his staff and Darryl Royal showed them how to run the wishbone. I think he won at least 2 or maybe 3 national championships after 1970 with the wishbone. He also passed out of it but I have not checked the average number per game. The wishbone lost favor when defenses started to figure out better ways to defend it. UCLA was still running the single wing in the late 60's. I think Pepper was still coach there. Any system can work with the right personnel and good play calling.

"In 1971, Bryant brought Texas Coach Darryl Royal and his assistant, Emory Bellard (who had devised the triple option wishbone offense) to Tuscaloosa for Bama’s August coaching clinic. After the clinic, Royal allowed Bellard to remain in Tuscaloosa for a few days, giving in-depth instruction to the Tide’s offensive staff – Mal Moore who was going to be the new quarterbacks coach (and de facto offensive coordinator, though no one had that title), running backs coach John David Crow, offensive line coaches Jimmy Sharpe and Jack Rutledge, and receivers coach Richard Williamson.

And Bryant declared to his staff that Alabama would sink or swim with the wishbone. Alabama opened the 1971 season against the same Southern Cal team that had run roughshod over Bama in Birmingham the year before. In Los Angeles, the Tide pulled a stunning upset, a 17-10 win in the first game with the new offense."

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
"In 1971, Bryant brought Texas Coach Darryl Royal and his assistant, Emory Bellard (who had devised the triple option wishbone offense) to Tuscaloosa for Bama’s August coaching clinic. After the clinic, Royal allowed Bellard to remain in Tuscaloosa for a few days, giving in-depth instruction to the Tide’s offensive staff – Mal Moore who was going to be the new quarterbacks coach (and de facto offensive coordinator, though no one had that title), running backs coach John David Crow, offensive line coaches Jimmy Sharpe and Jack Rutledge, and receivers coach Richard Williamson.

And Bryant declared to his staff that Alabama would sink or swim with the wishbone. Alabama opened the 1971 season against the same Southern Cal team that had run roughshod over Bama in Birmingham the year before. In Los Angeles, the Tide pulled a stunning upset, a 17-10 win in the first game with the new offense."
He also started recruiting black players.

DEJacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Besides running a version of our current offense and being a CPJ disciple, can someone please explain to me the appeal of Monken?

I feel like there isn't much there in terms of being able to compete on a P5 level.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
He also started recruiting black players.

True. Although I think his decision to run the "Bone was based on the fact that Alabama's No. 22, Johnny Musso, was already the best back in the country. And he wanted to use that. But he did recruit black players. Yes.

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
Besides running a version of our current offense and being a CPJ disciple, can someone please explain to me the appeal of Monken?

I feel like there isn't much there in terms of being able to compete on a P5 level.
Making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. Look what he did at GS and Army. Army may win 11 games this year. Took Oklahoma to OT, with 1aa players.

Status
Not open for further replies.