Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Philly Inquirer's Temple beat writer Marc Narducci just reported that Collins-Stansbury meeting on Wednesday took place in Georgia (not NYC), where Collins was on recruiting trip following Tuesday night's Hall of Fame dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
I think Collins could be a great hire... I hope that the contract is structured in a way that he's not inclined to puddle jump to another job if he does well. My only real fear with him would be that he uses it as a stepping stone and we're looking for another coach in less than 4 years.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I think Collins could be a great hire... I hope that the contract is structured in a way that he's not inclined to puddle jump to another job if he does well. My only real fear with him would be that he uses it as a stepping stone and we're looking for another coach in less than 4 years.
You would just make the buyout rather HUGE so if someone come calling they're going to have to SHOW US THE MONEY and GT wins again upon their exit.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm trying to pinpoint the purpose behind your reply. Are you just trying to win a rhetorical debate or are you making excuses for why we can't, can't, can't? Or both?

Stop looking for the reasons we can't and ask if we can.....

I don't think it is just a "reasons we can't" issue. I would say unequivocally that we cannot recruit anyone, zero star or five star, that isn't interested in academics. The thing that we can do is identify more athletes who are interested in academics. We just doubled the size of our recruiting staff. It is still half the size of Duke's recruiting staff. I would say what we have been doing is incredible, just based on the amount of money we put into it vs what other schools are putting into it. I don't believe that we should go after guys that will not be able to handle the academics(zero or five star). It won't do those athletes any good, and eventually will do harm to the team when those players end up not making grades and leaving. What we should be doing is hiring even more recruiting staff to identify players nationwide who would be interested in and benefit from attending GT. What we as fans should be doing is providing the money to the athletic department to fund that recruiting staff.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You would just make the buyout rather HUGE so if someone come calling they're going to have to SHOW US THE MONEY and GT wins again upon their exit.

Usually negotiations for a large buyout for him to leave also require a large buyout to let him go if things don't work out. I don't know how much of a buyout risk GT can handle on the chance that it doesn't work out.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Usually negotiations for a large buyout for him to leave also require a large buyout to let him go if things don't work out. I don't know how much of a buyout risk GT can handle on the chance that it doesn't work out.
Depends on how bad he wants to come.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
In the past two seasons 2016/2017 no school has had a Top 20 recruiting class with a football budget under $23 million. Tech is at $17.38 million. Of the 13 schools that had top 20 classes both of the past two season, only Stanford had a budget under $29 million, and the average budget was $36 million... more than double Tech's football spending.

Only Stanford and Maryland have had a top 20 (19th and 17th) in the past two seasons with average home attendance below 55,000. Tech was 43,087 this season. (And Maryland's 2017 class was an outlier, their previous 5-year average rank was 45th).

That's not to be pessimistic or fatalistic. I believe Tech can, eventually, get into the top 20-25 in recruiting. But I don't think it's realistic to expect a different coach can do that with the current paradigm. To improve recruiting dramatically, the new coach is going to need resources we haven't been providing.
Great stuff as always @BCJacket

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It threw me off when folks described it as a 'slam dunk'. I'm not against Monken at all but I acknowledge that any of our likely candidates have warts. I've liked Monken and his version of the option but he's by no means a 'slam dunk'.

I'm all for Collins at this point since it seems Elliot isn't an option.

The closest thing to a slam dunk is Nick Saban. And even with his proven elite track record...there is no guarantee he’d succeed at a high level at Tech without the necessary support.

Status
Not open for further replies.