Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Kirby smart is a joke for a head coach at GT he wouldn’t win sh-/.
Yeah he isn’t good in game, and may very well be mildly challenged, but the proof is really in the pudding. They went to the title game last year and ended number 5 this year. He is at least smart enough to surround himself with talented people(or bagmen). He recruited one very good QB, and one that looks pretty talented. They could have scored 100 on us.

He would absolutely suck at Tech. Whoever gets hired better get the resources to compete with the recruiting budgets of the big boys. We will never be top 10, but some years of top 25 would be nice. We have to bridge the talent gap a bit.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He was the HC - he had experience as an OC, but he could not hire or fire the OC????

Bottom line - twice, he was responsible for developing good young QBs, Mariota and Leinart. He failed BOTH times. I do not understand what anyone is thinking here.

Do any of you supporters of this remember Gailey?
I don't think he had a hand in selecting either Leinart or Mariota. Both were good college QB's but have not panned out in the NFL. Mariota is still a question mark but it is beginning to look like he will not turn out to be a good NFL QB. You can not develop something that is not there to start with. Anytime a coach has a good/great QB he looks like a much better coach. In the college game a QB is everything. That was part of of our problem the last couple of years. We had an A Back playing QB. Give Paul Johnson a guy like Tua and he is coach of the year.

Go Jackets!

Animal02

Banned
I hate to say it , but uga is gonna be a power for awhile , I’m hoping a recruiting scandal happens or something to slow them down
Was in Alabama today, picked up a Georgia station, someone actually asked how long Kirby would keep his job losing to Saban years in a row. :LOL:
I have to say, those mutt tears we're delicious.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah. I’m tired of this mediocre product he keeps putting on the field.
But hey if you love loosing that much I’m sure there is another team out there for you.

I just find it funny that you get bent about people not being excited about the thought of Whisenhunt, saying they don't/won't go to the games and yet you were one of the ones complaining about PJ and wanted him gone.

My stance is as follows: I think Whisenhunt is a bad fit for GT and I would be just as bored with his offense as you were with PJs. Having said that I will always love GT and I hope he is successful enough to make me not care how bland I think he will be.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he had a hand in selecting either Leinart or Mariota. Both were good college QB's but have not panned out in the NFL. Mariota is still a question mark but it is beginning to look like he will not turn out to be a good NFL QB. You can not develop something that is not there to start with. Anytime a coach has a good/great QB he looks like a much better coach. In the college game a QB is everything. That was part of of our problem the last couple of years. We had an A Back playing QB. Give Paul Johnson a guy like Tua and he is coach of the year.

Go Jackets!

I agree with everything you stated, Jerry, but very seldom do kids come from HS already a polished product. It requires development, and I have seen nothing in KW's background to say he can develop young players, but maybe he can, and it is just not apparent yet.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I just find it funny that you get bent about people not being excited about the thought of Whisenhunt, saying they don't/won't go to the games and yet you were one of the ones complaining about PJ and wanted him gone.

My stance is as follows: I think Whisenhunt is a bad fit for GT and I would be just as bored with his offense as you were with PJs. Having said that I will always love GT and I hope he is successful enough to make me not care how bland I think he will be.

Well said.

All these dudes that rooted against CPJ can kiss my arse because rooting for his failure meant they rooted against GT.

I may not like the idea of KW being hired but I will NEVER root for him to lose here.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
At the college level I believe that is the ceiling. Don't act like Whisenhunt has done anything in the pros without a great QB that didn't really need a great OC.

I don't know about that. Rivers had a spike up in performance in 2013 when Whisenhunt came in. He decreased the next two years and has been increasing since Whisenhunt has been back. Whisenhunt also did really well with in bringing Kurt Warner back. It certainly helps that both, especially Rivers, has talent, but I'd say he has certainly made a positive impact on both. He also took and developed a young Ben Roethlisberger so even if you look at his handling of Rivers as being low impact, he certainly helped create that great QB.

Bottom line - twice, he was responsible for developing good young QBs, Mariota and Leinart. He failed BOTH times. I do not understand what anyone is thinking here.

Both of those things are weird things to point to imo. For Leinart Wisenhunt rejuvenated Kurt Warner at the same time and had more success than he likely would have had with Leinart. For Mariota, he had all of 6 games, and Mariota played well for the most part considering it was his first year. Wisenhunt was also the OC for Ben Roethlisberger his first several years.

IMO nobody is perfect in QB development, especially in the NFL, but that's the one area that I'd point to as being a positive for him. I think it's also a very strong recruiting sell to QB prospects that he has coached those guys. There are other reasons to not like him as a candidate but QB development isn't one imo.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Have any of you ever set back and thought about how devastating of an injury Tony Hollings' was to our program. He was on pace for a Heisman type year when he tore his ACL.
I have always believed that was the equivalent of "what if Herschel Walker tore his knee up his freshman year". If he stays healthy, it could have been a program changer. Chan Gailey, who I don't think was awful, (he was a great guy) would be looked at a little different.

Hollings was buried on the defensive depth chart by OLeary and Chan was able to see the talent he had.

Now saying that, Tony did ask to be moved to offense.

What could have been?!
If Chan could’ve just picked up a top 10-15 qb while he was here things could’ve been a lot different. He built a pretty solid team, just imagine if Godsey or Joe was here during Calvin’s 3 years.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
This isn't going to end well, it would appear. I will try to forget about it for a while, because it is frustrating me way more than what it is worth.
I really think it's going to end very well AlabamaBuzz... amidst the anxiety, negativity, pessimism, negative assumptions, and generally bizarre doomsday prophecies being presented by my pals, I genuinely feel optimistic about where we are headed as a program...really do.

Seriously, I'm upping my modest annual contribution and committed to doing my small part to elevate our football program.

Status
Not open for further replies.