Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
devils advocate on whiz:
Nick Saban has a bad pro record, but he spent most of his career in college. That doesn’t change the fact that the NFL is different than college, and the margin between being a playoff team and not is razor thin. There are egos to be managed, and salary and roster problems.
When he has a good QB, his teams do pretty well. Can he get a good QB to come to Tech? Chan had us competitive, his biggest downfall was the offense weirdly enough.
I think CFB is moving away from the Mark Richts and Paul Johnson’s to the Dabos and the Kirby Smarts. Still the leader and making overarching decisions, but less hands on with play calling. Do we have the money to go that route though?

Everyone assumes he will be Chan, but that isn’t the only way it could go. If he gets good college assistants around him and can close in living rooms, he could be a good fit.

But this also could be for naught and he isn’t the guy.
Kirby smart is a joke for a head coach at GT he wouldn’t win sh-/.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Don't answer that, TJ. I'ssa trap!
giphy.gif

bos

Helluva Engineer
Well would not be my first choice, but we could do worst than Wiz!

His team is playing well this year, and he has been a major part of that. I’m curious to see his personality. I think that matters in college just as much as x’s and o’s.

Does anyone have any past interviews from him?

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He was first, if I knew before joining I would have changed it haha

I have passed the tests and just put in my application for the license last week. But if I knew there was a TheTaxJacket when I joined I would have picked something else lol

Congrats! That exam sucks!! I passed a few years ago. Then i got my life back.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think anyone can coach as bad as Chan did

Just wait. It will be much worse. Funny thing is I hate watching the NFL so much cause those offenses are so boring and because I’m obsessed with everything GT I’m going to watch something I hate until KW is fired. I hope to god we don’t give him 5 years. I can just hear the excuses now... “he has to have a chance to recruit his type athlete.” Bunch of BS.

TECH WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RECRUIT THE SAME ATHLETE AS BAMA, CLEMSON, AND UGA!!!!!!! Why don’t people understand that?!?!?!?

slugboy

Staff member
To be fair, it's not like Whisenhunt hasn't had any success...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Whisenhunt

...but the last years of KW as a HC?! I'll let everyone be the judge.

For those who don’t remember, he played Tight End (and QB once) for Bill Curry in the early 80s. Standard pro set. Standard pro set is what he did at Pittsburgh.
He’s known for cautious tweaks to an offense, not game-changing innovation.
I saw a tweet saying “if he brings his own OC”, but unless they’re mistakenly thinking of Friedgen, I don’t know what they’re thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just wait. It will be much worse. Funny thing is I hate watching the NFL so much cause those offenses are so boring and because I’m obsessed with everything GT I’m going to watch something I hate until KW is fired. I hope to god we don’t give him 5 years. I can just hear the excuses now... “he has to have a chance to recruit his type athlete.” Bunch of BS.

TECH WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RECRUIT THE SAME ATHLETE AS BAMA, CLEMSON, AND UGA!!!!!!! Why don’t people understand that?!?!?!?

Watch KC, Carolina, and the Rams play. The offenses are fun. Texans are fun just because DeShaun Watson makes sh!t happen. Offenses are beginning to see value in college concepts.

I REALLY wish some NFL team would hire CPJ as an OC. Man that would be fun to watch in the NFL.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
For those who don’t remember, he played Tight End (and QB once) for Bill Curry in the early 80s. Standard pro set. Standard pro set is what he did at Pittsburgh.
He’s known for cautious tweaks to an offense, not game-changing innovation.
I saw a tweet saying “if he brings his own OC”, but unless they’re mistakenly thinking of Friedgen, I don’t know what they’re thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AGAIN, UNLIKE. That is what we will get. Vanilla, with little innovation, if you ask me.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that Whiz’ Chargers being in the playoffs is a major impediment to his getting the job. Can’t see him leaving Rivers at the alter in midst of playoffs and the SB is in Feb, so he’d be missing almost 2 critical months of work, including hiring assistants and recruiting. That could/should be a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I said 5 years OR LONGER when he was coaching someone else’s players. Damn you can beat Tetris but I guess you don’t need reading comprehension for that. 3 years ago was 2015 and we all know that season and both wins.
Well, five or longer includes five....so I am not sure my reading comprehension was bad. My edit to mention three years ago was to indicate CPJ's players had nothing to do with anything. He had more wins against UGA with his players than he did with Chan's.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
That is the OC job to score points. He has to have great coordinators

He was the HC - he had experience as an OC, but he could not hire or fire the OC????

Bottom line - twice, he was responsible for developing good young QBs, Mariota and Leinart. He failed BOTH times. I do not understand what anyone is thinking here.

Do any of you supporters of this remember Gailey?

Status
Not open for further replies.