Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about that. Rivers had a spike up in performance in 2013 when Whisenhunt came in. He decreased the next two years and has been increasing since Whisenhunt has been back. Whisenhunt also did really well with in bringing Kurt Warner back. It certainly helps that both, especially Rivers, has talent, but I'd say he has certainly made a positive impact on both. He also took and developed a young Ben Roethlisberger so even if you look at his handling of Rivers as being low impact, he certainly helped create that great QB.

Both of those things are weird things to point to imo. For Leinart Wisenhunt rejuvenated Kurt Warner at the same time and had more success than he likely would have had with Leinart. For Mariota, he had all of 6 games, and Mariota played well for the most part considering it was his first year. Wisenhunt was also the OC for Ben Roethlisberger his first several years.

IMO nobody is perfect in QB development, especially in the NFL, but that's the one area that I'd point to as being a positive for him. I think it's also a very strong recruiting sell to QB prospects that he has coached those guys. There are other reasons to not like him as a candidate but QB development isn't one imo.
I don't know if we can ever get a Rivers/Warner level talent, but if we do great. I am more concerned with his HC career than his OC career. People complain about CPJ because he apparently only focuses on his offense and it is wins that matter. So sorry if I am skeptical of a guy who has not proven to be a winner as a HC despite proving he can put together an offense given a HOF QB.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
The frustrating thing about this search is that there is so little information (other than rumors) out there. I understand bringing Whiz in, but you certainly can't make that your only option. You would think we would know more than we do in this technological era. Either TStan is being very secretive in his movements or he simply hitched his cart to the WhizTrain. I hope is working all the back channels and will surprise us in a few days, but all signs point to KW. If the donors are ponying up the big bucks for a tech man, they better be ready add recruiting staff and home run coordinators. That's the only way to keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
I just find it funny that you get bent about people not being excited about the thought of Whisenhunt, saying they don't/won't go to the games and yet you were one of the ones complaining about PJ and wanted him gone.

My stance is as follows: I think Whisenhunt is a bad fit for GT and I would be just as bored with his offense as you were with PJs. Having said that I will always love GT and I hope he is successful enough to make me not care how bland I think he will be.
I wanted him gone yes. But there are some on here going out of their way to try and make him look bad. That is what has me going. Back to me a PJ I wanted him gone, but I didn’t get on here and cry like a kid about him.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
I really think it's going to end very well AlabamaBuzz... amidst the anxiety, negativity, pessimism, negative assumptions, and generally bizarre doomsday prophecies being presented by my pals, I genuinely feel optimistic about where we are headed as a program...really do.

Seriously, I'm upping my modest annual contribution and committed to doing my small part to elevate our football program.
Bravo—More of this, please.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
For everyone who wants whisenhunt you do realize high schools dont produce a ton of peyton Manning's, tom bradys, phillip rivers, rothlisburgers... kids are far more athletic now. RPO Based offenses work. Why stick a statue behind a weak line. Remember how bad our oline is on passblock?!?! That will take years to remedy. All of a sudden whisenhunt will start running speed options and RPOs??? No. He will stick a QB 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage to be killed. The days of slow qbs are passed. Your typical matt Ryan's, phillip rivers, bradys, are gone. It's more Aaron rodgers but he really is one in ten trillion. Plus he isn't the offensive genius to make me think he can turn a 3star qb into a Heisman contender.

If you want an odd hire, pay Josh McDaniels 7million to coach from the Patriots. He isnt a good nfl head coach, but is young and smart enough to be an excellent college coach.

I am age bias, because unless your name is Nick Saban you're a hasbeen.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Another thing that might work in the favor of the anti-kw is that I would imagine that his agent would have to be aware of the comments on social media. I’m not saying that SM alone would get him to turn it down, but it would be something to consider. If you accepted the job, you would have to know that the pressure is on you from day 1 with not much rope before you start hearing it from the fans.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Another thing that might work in the favor of the anti-kw is that I would imagine that his agent would have to be aware of the comments on social media. I’m not saying that SM alone would get him to turn it down, but it would be something to consider. If you accepted the job, you would have to know that the pressure is on you from day 1 with not much rope before you start hearing it from the fans.

He is probably not reading this board, but are you saying that the negative concerns are getting communicated on twitter, facebook, etc.?

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I wanted him gone yes. But there are some on here going out of their way to try and make him look bad. That is what has me going. Back to me a PJ I wanted him gone, but I didn’t get on here and cry like a kid about him.

I don't know about you specifically, but the level of complaining about PJ was an order of magnitude worse than that about Whisenhunt.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I’d say if nothing by Friday then it fell through and we’re on down the list. I still think 12/12 is the deadline to have a coach in place
Agree, I think we could hear something as early as Wednesday though. Maybe not an hire but a good idea of one.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
He is probably not reading this board, but are you saying that the negative concerns are getting communicated on twitter, facebook, etc.?
Yea I’ve seen some comments on TS account, also on ken S Ajc account. I would think the agent wouldn’t view fan boards but would look at the AD, GT football, and local paper (ks) social accounts.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
For everyone who wants whisenhunt you do realize high schools dont produce a ton of peyton Manning's, tom bradys, phillip rivers, rothlisburgers... kids are far more athletic now. RPO Based offenses work. Why stick a statue behind a weak line. Remember how bad our oline is on passblock?!?! That will take years to remedy. All of a sudden whisenhunt will start running speed options and RPOs??? No. He will stick a QB 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage to be killed. The days of slow qbs are passed. Your typical matt Ryan's, phillip rivers, bradys, are gone. It's more Aaron rodgers but he really is one in ten trillion. Plus he isn't the offensive genius to make me think he can turn a 3star qb into a Heisman contender.

If you want an odd hire, pay Josh McDaniels 7million to coach from the Patriots. He isnt a good nfl head coach, but is young and smart enough to be an excellent college coach.

I am age bias, because unless your name is Nick Saban you're a hasbeen.
He can hire an Oc to run another system. He does that and he can still even be of value because of his ability to read defenses and help the OV put together some packages and to get guys good match ups.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yea I’ve seen some comments on TS account, also on ken S Ajc account. I would think the agent wouldn’t view fan boards but would look at the AD, GT football, and local paper (ks) social accounts.

Well. The ajc article said fan backlash. So. U dont even have to go further than the newspaper

slugboy

Staff member
If Chan could’ve just picked up a top 10-15 qb while he was here things could’ve been a lot different. He built a pretty solid team, just imagine if Godsey or Joe was here during Calvin’s 3 years.

Suggs was highly recruited, as was Bilbo. He had a QB transfer to Delaware and get drafted from there, but he never did anything here.
Recruiting might be 2/3rds of the battle, but you have to do something with the guys you recruit. His QBs never improved. They seemed to regress. Friedgen’s quarterbacks got better.
He was supposed to have a great quarterback recruit coming in his last year, but that doesn’t mean he would have made anything out of him. Cutcliffe did, and he has a track record with QBs that Gailey didn’t.
It’s weird, because he was supposed to be a quarterback whisperer. I haven’t seen Gailey improve a quarterback since Pittsburgh.
I think he would have made a top 30 QB out of a top 10 QB recruit.
He was great for tailbacks though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So after reading today, here is my concern about Elliot, beyond never being a head coach. 1. he know nothing about GT. 2. It was said he and his players will relate to each other. That right there is a disaster for a team. Head Coach is not the players friend, or even dad, they are the coach. I have seen many failed coaches that tried to be the players friend. Right now if you ask me our choice is Monken.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
He can hire an Oc to run another system. He does that and he can still even be of value because of his ability to read defenses and help the OV put together some packages and to get guys good match ups.

That's true, but we can hire someone for much cheaper to read a defense. It's not like its rocket science. Just pay them to study film and give nuggets of knowledge to the OC. Why not hire someone who can do it all rather than KW. He wont be a nick saban. We need a savior for this program. We cannot afford to stay mediocre with this funding coming in and the new Adidas deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.