Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal02

Banned
We're in the middle of ATL, the second most fertile metro-area recruiting ground in the country and in GA, the 4th best state at producing recruits. That is the greatest resource you can ever have. I see no need to recruit

Disagree. We're in ATL. Gotta take advantage of that. If GT was located in Tennessee we'd be worse off than vandy.
And that is why we get 3* . What does Tech have to offer a kid from the SE that every other school in the south does. People make a big deal about ATL.....it is not that big of a deal being in the city.....every college town offers pretty much the same. It is not like they are going to the museum or symphony. What we can offer to someone from Pittsburgh Chicago area.....much warmer weather for starters.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
IIRC......he made comments when he was first hired about concentrating on the southeast... especially Georgia.
I think recruiting at GT is a tricky balance because it’s important to recruit the state to develop local interest in the program, and its true that GA and the southeast are fertile recruiting grounds. But given our restrictions and less-than-broad appeal to blue chippers, it’s also important to recruit nationally. I do think budget is an issue, but maybe CPJ was too focused on the state because of his experience at GSU. Maybe he saw the small recruiting budget and initially didn’t think it was such a big problem because assumed he could get what he needed in-state.

Animal02

Banned
I think recruiting at GT is a tricky balance because it’s important to recruit the state to develop local interest in the program, and its true that GA and the southeast are fertile recruiting grounds. But given our restrictions and less-than-broad appeal to blue chippers, it’s also important to recruit nationally. I do think budget is an issue, but maybe CPJ was too focused on the state because of his experience at GSU.
Exactly.

Scubapro

Banned
I think recruiting at GT is a tricky balance because it’s important to recruit the state to develop local interest in the program, and its true that GA and the southeast are fertile recruiting grounds. But given our restrictions and less-than-broad appeal to blue chippers, it’s also important to recruit nationally. I do think budget is an issue, but maybe CPJ was too focused on the state because of his experience at GSU. Maybe he saw the small recruiting budget and initially didn’t think it was such a big problem because assumed he could get what he needed in-state.
This ans if I remember correctly there was some push back on Chan for not trying to recruit the state of Ga hard enough.

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
I ain’t making sh— up you so called football experts on here need to get out and talk to high school players and then you might have a idea what they think and you might learn something about GT and how the football program is run because by what some of you post on here you don’t have a clue .I was told GT didn’t have a player that could play in the 2deep at ugag and some of you all act like some asst coach is gonna come in here and win bu— s—- . It’s gonna take someone with a lot of coaching experience to fix this
I did see where a Georgia player said their scout team ran Tech's offense better than Tech. I agree, Tech's defense was at a disadvantage. I still hope you are wrong on this hire .

slugboy

Staff member
He will walk in a house and wear them Super Bowl rings and any 17 year old will love him plus he has GT education to back him up

Al Groh had a winning Super Bowl ring from 1990, and a massive track record of success in the NFL. Frank Beamer still out recruited him.

Chan Gailey coached in four Super Bowls for Denver and Pittsburgh. Plus head coach of Dallas for years.

I think the Super Bowl ring is great, but it doesn’t seem to be the recruiting magic that you’d expect it to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
And that is why we get 3* . What does Tech have to offer a kid from the SE that every other school in the south does. People make a big deal about ATL.....it is not that big of a deal being in the city.....every college town offers pretty much the same. It is not like they are going to the museum or symphony. What we can offer to someone from Pittsburgh Chicago area.....much warmer weather for starters.
It ain't all about what we have to offer. It's also about relationships. Staff can roll up to buford or grayson every friday night and be in the stands with their addias GT gear on watching 10 big time recruits, hob knobing with their parents and the coaches. Can't do that in chicago or pittsburgh. You're talking about trying to compete with the b10 for lesser number recruits instead of the sec. There aint much difference other than the weather like you said. Might as well stick to our own backyard.

I don't have a problem recruiting in the NE, Texas, CA but I don't see us building some magical pipeline and becoming ND.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Fixed to suit my Friday night drink!

TaxJacket, after years of research, I have found bourbon to be an excellent choice for the other 6 days of the week as well. Until it gets hot, then its gin.
Re: the coaching search. I don't have the inclination nor the time & energy to assess the worthiness of any of the guys named in this thread. Nor anyone else whose name has not appeared in this thread for that matter. What I do hope is that we rally behind TStan and the new guy. I am sick of people rooting against a coach from day 1 simply because he/she wasn't their first choice. It happened with CCG and CPJ to some extent. Let's support the coach and the program and give the person who is selected time. I know in this day and age this is a naive and impossible request but I am weary of us looking for things to disagree and argue about.

Respectfully,
4shotB
(who is waiting patiently this morning for cocktail hour this evening)

GTechFBNut

Georgia Tech Fan
Funny, most of the same was said about Saban in the NFL.

I am definitely not saying he is that level of coach, let’s make that clear, but what a coach did at the NFL level is not really relevant to how they are as a college coach, especially when they have a proven body of work. Lots of college guys flopped in the pro’s. Saban, Kelly, Spurrier and more.

Agreed it’s ceitical to recruit ATL area, but having assistants with a strong hold in that area is most important. I also think with the right coach GT can be more competitive
Nationally. Schiano can do that.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-...orts-Big-Ten-Recruiter-of-the-Year-115040973/

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Funny, most of the same was said about Saban in the NFL.

I am definitely not saying he is that level of coach, let’s make that clear, but what a coach did at the NFL level is not really relevant to how they are as a college coach, especially when they have a proven body of work. Lots of college guys flopped in the pro’s. Saban, Kelly, Spurrier and more.

Are you Greg? You joined the board 2 days ago and have posted ten times -- about hiring Schiano.

slugboy

Staff member
We're in the middle of ATL, the second most fertile metro-area recruiting ground in the country and in GA, the 4th best state at producing recruits. That is the greatest resource you can ever have. I see no need to recruit in NJ.

Disagree. We're in ATL. Gotta take advantage of that. If GT was located in Tennessee we'd be worse off than vandy. Sustainable success will be had when GT starts consistently pulling 5-7 4*s and 1-2 5*s from metro ATL every year.

That's why I want the very best recruiter possible as our next HBC.

Our student body is national, but heavily from Georgia and the southeast. That’s how we put together the best possible student body. We have a ton of students from the northeast.
Recruiting nationally doesn’t mean you don’t recruit the most in your home state and region. We’ve been best when we blend local and national.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTechFBNut

Georgia Tech Fan
Ha, no. Just a long time season ticket holder who graduated from here. Should have posted an introductory post. I used to live in NJ during the Rutgers days and was very impressed with Schiano. I coached HS FB back in the day under my dad and went to a lot of clinics. He’s well respected and would personally love him to coach at my alma. Wouldn’t have kept going but some of the posts were just inaccurate so couldn’t help myself :)

Other candidates I like:

Jeff Monken
Scott Satterfield

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't think CPJ had any trouble passing more when we had the QBs and receivers to make it work. Just don't think he did the last couple of years. And since he didn't, did not spend the practice time on it, thus not much practice blocking, which leads to game time disaster.
A lot of assumptions there.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Dell McGee

Great recruiter!
Has experienced in running spread with some option concepts.
It also would be a way to disrupt what UGA has going on right now.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
We're in the middle of ATL, the second most fertile metro-area recruiting ground in the country and in GA, the 4th best state at producing recruits. That is the greatest resource you can ever have. I see no need to recruit in NJ.

Disagree. We're in ATL. Gotta take advantage of that. If GT was located in Tennessee we'd be worse off than vandy. Sustainable success will be had when GT starts consistently pulling 5-7 4*s and 1-2 5*s from metro ATL every year.

That's why I want the very best recruiter possible as our next HBC.
The kids in Atl and GA are academically ill prepared and/or not interested in busting *** to survive at Tech. NJ otoh is much better academically and as Coach Ross demonstrated, the area can help us. GA and the SE has to remain our core though.

Status
Not open for further replies.