Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We're in the middle of ATL, the second most fertile metro-area recruiting ground in the country and in GA, the 4th best state at producing recruits. That is the greatest resource you can ever have. I see no need to recruit in NJ.

Disagree. We're in ATL. Gotta take advantage of that. If GT was located in Tennessee we'd be worse off than vandy. Sustainable success will be had when GT starts consistently pulling 5-7 4*s and 1-2 5*s from metro ATL every year.

That's why I want the very best recruiter possible as our next HBC.
But how good at the school systems in Atlanta and the state of Georgia . Hard to put a square peg in a round hole without a hammer

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hs coaching son talked to UFC coach Josh H. They mostly discussed the career ending injury for the qb Milton and how to help him get through it. Also Josh seemed pretty content in current job ( i have athletes every where) and focused on winning next game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Read the Tony Elliott piece on ESPN (BTW, got a little dusty in that article...ahem...). Something that struck me as almost poetic in Elliott's life and career arc and Dabo Swinney's life and career arc:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ry-clemson-offensive-coordinator-tony-elliott

After graduating from Clemson with a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering, Elliott took a job with Michelin North America in 2004. Although Elliott was making good money and seemed to have a bright future with the company, he wasn't completely satisfied. He missed football and believed his own experiences in life would make him a good mentor for kids. While working as a volunteer football coach at a high school in Easley, South Carolina, Elliott realized what he wanted to do with the rest of his life.

"I was making great money, had a great job and a great boss," Elliott said. "I just felt a little empty inside. I needed something to validate my purpose."

AFTER CONSULTING WITH Swinney, who had become his mentor and close friend, Elliott quit his job at Michelin. He married his wife, Tamika, a week later and then started his first coaching job at FCS member South Carolina State in 2006. Two years later, he was named Furman's receivers coach.

Swinney, who replaced Tommy Bowden as Clemson's coach midway through the 2008 season, realized Elliott was a rising star in the coaching ranks.

"I told him to just bloom where you're planted and be great at whatever you're doing," Swinney said. "That's the epitome of Tony Elliott. I was so proud of him. I knew I would hire him when the right time came. I told him he needed to be ready when the time came."

In January 2010, when Elliott and Swinney were both in Los Angeles attending a coaching convention, they drove to see the house where Elliott lived in Anaheim. Then they drove to the intersection of West Sycamore Street and Harbor Boulevard, where Elliott's mother had died in the car wreck nearly two decades earlier. Elliott wanted his close friend and mentor to see the place where his life changed forever.

BOTH Swinney and Elliott perservered through almost crushing circumstances to follow their dreams. Dabo walked on at 'Bama, Elliott walked on at Clemson. Both became contributing members of the team after making personal sacrifices to be on the team. Both graduated and had lucrative non-football careers before deciding coaching was their life's calling. Both rose through the ranks and became rising stars. One left his alma mater and help build a modern day program considered only second to the jaugernaut that is Alabama...Dabo's alma mater. The other has the opportunity to leave his alma mater and build a similar program somewhere else....

...could that somewhere else for Elliott be GT?

I was hesitant to say much about Elliott until I did some research. Research done. You never know about any coach, but Elliott checks so many boxes it's hard for me to see his negatives as something that he can work through (let's not forget, Dabo was just a position coach, and two a few seasons to iron out the wrinkles before turning Clemson into a powerhouse).

For me this is what Elliott brings to the table:

-Immediate credibility on the recruiting trail. He knows the Southeast, and he's landed some MONSTER recruits. His ability to recruit the most fertile areas for GT is not going to be questioned.

-Immediate credibility in living rooms. Let's face it, the family structure today is filled with single parent homes. Coaches have to have the ability to walk into homes and strike a chord with single parents. Elliott's past will blow mothers and fathers away. He perservered, and in the process, helped his little sister become a college graduate and make a living in a well respected field. Football teams are predominantly made up of African Americans, and how many better example of a successful African Americans are there who could be mentor to sons of single family homes? His story will have mothers and fathers crying, and assured that they are sending their son off to someone who cares and will do what's right for them. Combine that with an elite GT degree? Going to be hard to turn down a combination of getting coached by Elliott and a GT degree down.

-Immediate credibility on the football field. He's coached two of the best QB prospects in the last decade: DeShaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence...BOTH happen to be from GA. You think all these elite GA QBs the state has been producing won't give GT serious consideration knowing that Elliott mentored two first round QBs (Lawrence is a future #1 overall pick). He also coached Kelly Bryant to an NCAA Championship game. GT is a place where our coach has to be able to coach and develop QBs, and he's doing that. 5 star QBs don't go to Clemson to have their talents wasted...like at FSU, Texas, Texas A&M and even 'Bama. His offense scores in bunches as well.

-He's calling Clemson's plays. In this regard, he's well ahead of where Dabo was when Dabo was promoted to HC. Calling plays is a BIG deal, because that means you understand defenses, how to attack them, how to use personnel, what personnel you need. He wasn't just a figurehead of an OC. This is a big deal for me.

-Exposure to the high level of operations needed to become a top tier program. I've said this many times, and it's unfortunate for CPJ, but the next coach will inherit all the things CPJ wanted. That's just how it works. Elliott's knowledge of Clemsons operating machine will benefit GT. He may not get everything he asks for, but if he's hired, it's because he'll get most of the things he wants to be HC of GT. Most of big ticket items (indoor practice facility, new weight room, new locker rooms) are complete. Other big ticket items are in the works (money for more support staff). We also have a MAJOR capital raise going on...and Elliott is going to make a LOT of donors want to contribute more money, and lot of previously lukewarm donors actually donate. In fact, if Elliott is announced as our new coach, I would hope TStan immediately announces they've raised the total amount of money they're targeting. GT will get it.

-Immediate Buzz (ahem) for our program nationally, but more importantly, in the state of GA. If I'm not mistaken, if Elliott is hired, he will be the first African American HC of GT. That will resonate with the local HS in GA, especially in the city of Atlanta.

One thing I'm certain, if TStan hasn't already reached out to Elliott and his representatives, it would be AD malpractice. This guy checks so many boxes for a GT HC that it's almost ridiculous there's much debate here. Are there better candidates? Maybe...but not many candidates can bring to the table what Elliott potentially has and represents.

Ball is in your court, TStan.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
After the last few days I have come to the conclusion that there not any coach we could pick to unite our fan base. Sad but it will take someone years of winning to unite us again.

Animal02

Banned
But how good at the school systems in Atlanta and the state of Georgia . Hard to put a square peg in a round hole without a hammer
How many 5* players would qualify at Tech in the first place......then of those, how many want to major in one of the limited degrees Tech offers?
Some of these posters are just delusional.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the fans are United behind the ultimate goal of winning. People just disagree when it comes to HOW we get there. Which I'm fine with as long as whoever is hired, even if not your guy, is backed completely by the fanbase until he gives a reason not to be. Monken, Collins, Elliot or whoever (note I intentionally left off one name :)) deserve that from us.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I will root for Tech regardless......but I simply do not understand the mentality of people that want to win at all costs.....that would gladly bring in a Saban that treats his players / recruits like pieces of meat. The biggest respect I had for CPJ was his honoring of commitments and recognizing the STUDENT part of the student athlete.

agreed. WTBS, I have to trust that TStan is familiar enough with the school and the fan base NOT to bring in a guy who doesn't align with our mission and values. Sure, some of the most vocal fans on an anonymous message board might want a guy with the "win at all costs" mentality but I believe TStan is better than that. I will trust the process and his judgement.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
How many 5* players would qualify at Tech in the first place......then of those, how many want to major in one of the limited degrees Tech offers?
Some of these posters are just delusional.

We're going to find out how many 4 and 5 star recruits want to embrace everything that comes with playing football for GT. The good and the bad. We're going to find out real soon.

The funny thing is, the defensive side of the ball seems to be doing OK with signing 4 stars. Now it's the offense that needs to do their job.

Like I said, it's going to get interesting REAL soon. Recruiting discussions are going to take on a whole other level of debate depending on the next hire....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I apologize is someone has posted this already.
From yesterday's SBNation article updating various coaching searches

"Multiple outlets have reported that Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt will interview for the open Georgia Tech job. Whisenhunt played for Georgia Tech, but the former Cardinals and Titans head coach hasn’t coached in college since 1996.

Other names to watch are Appalachian State’s Scott Satterfield, Georgia native and former GT recruiting coordinator Geoff Collins, and Clemson co-offensive coordinator Tony Elliott.

In the college ranks, there’s a massive amount of interest in the Tech job, albeit with the understanding that Tech lags behind its ACC peers in facilities and fundraising, and has a flexbone roster that would need overhauling. Whereas strict academic requirements and local apathy have turned off others, many young coaches from the Southeast feel like GT could be reinvigorated to better recruit and represent the greater Atlanta area."

That last paragraph intrigues me. Frankly I would love to hire a guy that feels Tech is something of a sleeping giant (that's overstating it a little). i want someone that is excited to be here and thinks they can win here, regardless of who it is.

I also want to add glad to see Tucker taking the CO job. He is a very good DC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Read the Tony Elliott piece on ESPN (BTW, got a little dusty in that article...ahem...). Something that struck me as almost poetic in Elliott's life and career arc and Dabo Swinney's life and career arc:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ry-clemson-offensive-coordinator-tony-elliott

After graduating from Clemson with a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering, Elliott took a job with Michelin North America in 2004. Although Elliott was making good money and seemed to have a bright future with the company, he wasn't completely satisfied. He missed football and believed his own experiences in life would make him a good mentor for kids. While working as a volunteer football coach at a high school in Easley, South Carolina, Elliott realized what he wanted to do with the rest of his life.

"I was making great money, had a great job and a great boss," Elliott said. "I just felt a little empty inside. I needed something to validate my purpose."

AFTER CONSULTING WITH Swinney, who had become his mentor and close friend, Elliott quit his job at Michelin. He married his wife, Tamika, a week later and then started his first coaching job at FCS member South Carolina State in 2006. Two years later, he was named Furman's receivers coach.

Swinney, who replaced Tommy Bowden as Clemson's coach midway through the 2008 season, realized Elliott was a rising star in the coaching ranks.

"I told him to just bloom where you're planted and be great at whatever you're doing," Swinney said. "That's the epitome of Tony Elliott. I was so proud of him. I knew I would hire him when the right time came. I told him he needed to be ready when the time came."

In January 2010, when Elliott and Swinney were both in Los Angeles attending a coaching convention, they drove to see the house where Elliott lived in Anaheim. Then they drove to the intersection of West Sycamore Street and Harbor Boulevard, where Elliott's mother had died in the car wreck nearly two decades earlier. Elliott wanted his close friend and mentor to see the place where his life changed forever.

BOTH Swinney and Elliott perservered through almost crushing circumstances to follow their dreams. Dabo walked on at 'Bama, Elliott walked on at Clemson. Both became contributing members of the team after making personal sacrifices to be on the team. Both graduated and had lucrative non-football careers before deciding coaching was their life's calling. Both rose through the ranks and became rising stars. One left his alma mater and help build a modern day program considered only second to the jaugernaut that is Alabama...Dabo's alma mater. The other has the opportunity to leave his alma mater and build a similar program somewhere else....

...could that somewhere else for Elliott be GT?

I was hesitant to say much about Elliott until I did some research. Research done. You never know about any coach, but Elliott checks so many boxes it's hard for me to see his negatives as something that he can work through (let's not forget, Dabo was just a position coach, and two a few seasons to iron out the wrinkles before turning Clemson into a powerhouse).

For me this is what Elliott brings to the table:

-Immediate credibility on the recruiting trail. He knows the Southeast, and he's landed some MONSTER recruits. His ability to recruit the most fertile areas for GT is not going to be questioned.

-Immediate credibility in living rooms. Let's face it, the family structure today is filled with single parent homes. Coaches have to have the ability to walk into homes and strike a chord with single parents. Elliott's past will blow mothers and fathers away. He perservered, and in the process, helped his little sister become a college graduate and make a living in a well respected field. Football teams are predominantly made up of African Americans, and how many better example of a successful African Americans are there who could be mentor to sons of single family homes? His story will have mothers and fathers crying, and assured that they are sending their son off to someone who cares and will do what's right for them. Combine that with an elite GT degree? Going to be hard to turn down a combination of getting coached by Elliott and a GT degree down.

-Immediate credibility on the football field. He's coached two of the best QB prospects in the last decade: DeShaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence...BOTH happen to be from GA. You think all these elite GA QBs the state has been producing won't give GT serious consideration knowing that Elliott mentored two first round QBs (Lawrence is a future #1 overall pick). He also coached Kelly Bryant to an NCAA Championship game. GT is a place where our coach has to be able to coach and develop QBs, and he's doing that. 5 star QBs don't go to Clemson to have their talents wasted...like at FSU, Texas, Texas A&M and even 'Bama. His offense scores in bunches as well.

-He's calling Clemson's plays. In this regard, he's well ahead of where Dabo was when Dabo was promoted to HC. Calling plays is a BIG deal, because that means you understand defenses, how to attack them, how to use personnel, what personnel you need. He wasn't just a figurehead of an OC. This is a big deal for me.

-Exposure to the high level of operations needed to become a top tier program. I've said this many times, and it's unfortunate for CPJ, but the next coach will inherit all the things CPJ wanted. That's just how it works. Elliott's knowledge of Clemsons operating machine will benefit GT. He may not get everything he asks for, but if he's hired, it's because he'll get most of the things he wants to be HC of GT. Most of big ticket items (indoor practice facility, new weight room, new locker rooms) are complete. Other big ticket items are in the works (money for more support staff). We also have a MAJOR capital raise going on...and Elliott is going to make a LOT of donors want to contribute more money, and lot of previously lukewarm donors actually donate. In fact, if Elliott is announced as our new coach, I would hope TStan immediately announces they've raised the total amount of money they're targeting. GT will get it.

-Immediate Buzz (ahem) for our program nationally, but more importantly, in the state of GA. If I'm not mistaken, if Elliott is hired, he will be the first African American HC of GT. That will resonate with the local HS in GA, especially in the city of Atlanta.

One thing I'm certain, if TStan hasn't already reached out to Elliott and his representatives, it would be AD malpractice. This guy checks so many boxes for a GT HC that it's almost ridiculous there's much debate here. Are there better candidates? Maybe...but not many candidates can bring to the table what Elliott potentially has and represents.

Ball is in your court, TStan.

Interesting parallel IF GT does hire Tony Elliott.

The last coach we hired to be our HC from Clemson?

John Heisman.

Status
Not open for further replies.