Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't think CPJ had any trouble passing more when we had the QBs and receivers to make it work. Just don't think he did the last couple of years. And since he didn't, did not spend the practice time on it, thus not much practice blocking, which leads to game time disaster.
Perhaps his decesion on who is the starter did not give enough value the ability to make accurate passes. In 17 we played shamire and unsucessfully tried to pass quite a bit (Duke uva, etc -of last 9 completions 4 went to opponent) Would have liked to see Lucas given a shot. In 18 if Lucas was health I think Coach would have made the switch or at least given him a try. . We will never know.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the idea of keeping Andy Mac and the defensive staff intact. I think Woody’s defense is a great fit for us. Mac is known for his recruiting, has HC experience, and has been at GT long enough to know what he’s getting into. I like the idea of Cook at OC because he’s very familiar with CPJ’s system but has his own ideas that are quite different. I remember an interview with him where he chose his words very carefully talking about how our staff was “comfortable” running the offense from under center. I’m still a big believer in CPJ’s system, so I’d also be happy with Monken as HC and Woody as DC. My fear would be that we would have largely the same thing we had minus a legend who is known for his ability to see the field, adjust to anything the defense does, etc. However, Monken has his own ideas too and what he’s been doing at Army doesn’t look exactly like what CPJ does. I really don’t want a vanilla, NCAA, read-option offense that everyone else is doing. We’ve always been successful in the modern era doing something different with an innovator at OC. I’m also intrigued by Woody as HC.

I do think whoever we get as HC, we need a guy with swag and someone who gives us a recruiting advantage. Gailey was such a boring, wimpy-seeming guy, it was difficult to get behind him. As much as I wish CPJ didn’t leave, it would be nice to have a HC who is a promoter and salesman of the Institute. CPJ gradually got so frustrated and focused on our limitations, he became less of a promoter of Tech than he was at first. To his credit, he made a decision to let everyone know our program needs fixing and didn’t care what people thought about his saying so. However, after the pitt loss their coach ended his interview with “Hail Pitt” and it struck me that we could use some of that, too.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
I like the idea of keeping Andy Mac and the defensive staff intact. I think Woody’s defense is a great fit for us. Mac is known for his recruiting, has HC experience, and has been at GT long enough to know what he’s getting into. I like the idea of Cook at OC because he’s very familiar with CPJ’s system but has his own ideas that are quite different. I remember an interview with him where he chose his words very carefully talking about how our staff was “comfortable” running the offense from under center. I’m still a big believer in CPJ’s system, so I’d also be happy with Monken as HC and Woody as DC. My fear would be that we would have largely the same thing we had minus a legend who is known for his ability to see the field, adjust to anything the defense does, etc. However, Monken has his own ideas too and what he’s been doing at Army doesn’t look exactly like what CPJ does. I really don’t want a vanilla, NCAA, read-option offense that everyone else is doing. We’ve always been successful in the modern era doing something different with an innovator at OC. I’m also intrigued by Woody as HC.

I do think whoever we get as HC, we need a guy with swag and someone who gives us a recruiting advantage. Gailey was such a boring, wimpy-seeming guy, it was difficult to get behind him. As much as I wish CPJ didn’t leave, it would be nice to have a HC who is a promoter and salesman of the Institute. CPJ gradually got so frustrated and focused on our limitations, he became less of a promoter of Tech than he was at first. To his credit, he made a decision to let everyone know our program needs fixing and didn’t care what people thought about his saying so. However, after the pitt loss their coach ended his interview with “Hail Pitt” and it struck me that we could use some of that, too.
Wonder how much the Mbob era had to due with that

Animal02

Banned
I’m sure it had a lot to do with it. I think it was toward the end of MBob when CPJ just said f*** it and took a noticeable turn in the things he was saying publicly.
It is comical seeing many of the haters harp on CPJ being a poor recruiter. It is like sticking someone in a Ford Focus at the Indy 500 and saying see...he is a poor driver.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Apparently Dewberry is really pushing him along with a big fat check
All my checks are the same size.

It's a matter if all the other big money people want him. I don't see one person having that much say I could be wrong but I would hope our AD makes a good pick on a head coach and not let his so called friends make the pick, if for some reason he is the best ( which I don't see ) I will still support him and Tech but I would rather see someone else. JMO and will all have one.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
It is comical seeing many of the haters harp on CPJ being a poor recruiter. It is like sticking someone in a Ford Focus at the Indy 500 and saying see...he is a poor driver.
I won't say that cpj+staff were poor recruiters, but they weren't great given what they had to work with either. I still will never understand how he never once landed a legit solid 4* across the board stud RB, other than autry who never played a down for us and wouldn't have been a bback anyways.

When cpj came on board I expected us to land a 4-5* stud feature back every 2-3 years. When you run the ball all the ****ing time you'd think you'd be able to convince 1 recruit every 3 years that getting the ball 20 times a game for 3 years is better than sitting on the bench at bama/aub/uga/clem/uf/fsu for 2 and maybe getting a shot at PT after their other 5* leaves.

Animal02

Banned
I won't say that cpj+staff were poor recruiters, but they weren't great given what they had to work with either. I still will never understand how he never once landed a legit solid 4* across the board stud RB, other than autry who never played a down for us and wouldn't have been a bback anyways.

When cpj came on board I expected us to land a 4-5* stud feature back every 2-3 years. When you run the ball all the ****ing time you'd think you'd be able to convince 1 recruit every 3 years that getting the ball 20 times a game for 3 years is better than sitting on the bench at bama/aub/uga/clem/uf/fsu for 2 and maybe getting a shot at PT after their other 5* leaves.
The big mistake CPJ made coming in was thinking he could just recruit the southeast and be successful. From day one, it drove me nuts that they did not look across the US...especi espe in areas that we play in (Pittsburgh for example) Tech needs a nolational recruiting plan to compete. It will not be able to just in the southeast......far to much competition with all the shiny new objects for recruits.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Agree. CPJ was not a great recruiter. Neither was Sewak, Lamar Owens, Brian Cook etc. Mac and Roof were about it.

To say any different is ignoring facts and simply making excuses for CPJ. He was average. I was never a fan of him not going after bigger fish. He seemed content to try and grad diamonds in the rough from lower to middle tier program talent. Every now and then he got a good one, see Justin Thomas, Shaq Mason, Gotsis and a few others sprinkled in. But we haven’t had a player drafted in 3 classes. That’s all we need to know about that. We used to put a lot more guys in the NFL. To see that go three years with nobody drafted in unacceptable. We either weren’t recruiting to the max ability (and we weren’t I believe the right coach can recruit here) or we weren’t developing players (also true).

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
The big mistake CPJ made coming in was thinking he could just recruit the southeast and be successful. From day one, it drove me nuts that they did not look across the US...especi espe in areas that we play in (Pittsburgh for example) Tech needs a nolational recruiting plan to compete. It will not be able to just in the southeast......far to much competition with all the shiny new objects for recruits.

A lot of that might have been because of lack of recruiting resources.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I agree but he would have needed more people which he keep asking for I believe. Again how many does Alabama Clemson or even Duke have to work on recruiting ?

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I think he probably would have loved to recruit nationally with a recruiting staff and budget big enough to support casting a wider net.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Apparently Dewberry is really pushing him along with a big fat check

If we’re letting Dewberry Drive this thing, I think we’re in trouble. Know a couple guys that have worked for him.

You see what’s happened at Tenn and other places when big ego donors are driving it.

Is Dewberry even a big donor? Wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t give that much.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Thinking about our recruiting I see that at this time no commitments have jump ship. This could be a sign that the players CPJ signed wanted to come to Tech because of the school more than who was the coach. Not sure if I know what I'm thinking about but in made sense in my head no so much now.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Kind of laughable we wouldn’t consider Schiano.

- 56-33 last 7 years at RU (5-1 in bowl games)
- ESPN ranked him the #1 recruiting assistant last year. Strong hold recruiting in FL and he can recruit nationally
- We need a coach who can compete with the top tier programs in ACC. He can do that.
- NFL experience. Even though it was bad he has that chip.
- Has our SO much talent into the NFL

He is a total *******. See his time in Tampa when NO ONE liked him. Players, staff, other teams’ coaches. We need positivity and youth, not an old, angry jerk.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of that might have been because of lack of recruiting resources.
We're in the middle of ATL, the second most fertile metro-area recruiting ground in the country and in GA, the 4th best state at producing recruits. That is the greatest resource you can ever have. I see no need to recruit in NJ.
Disagree. We're in ATL. Gotta take advantage of that. If GT was located in Tennessee we'd be worse off than vandy. Sustainable success will be had when GT starts consistently pulling 5-7 4*s and 1-2 5*s from metro ATL every year.

That's why I want the very best recruiter possible as our next HBC.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If we’re letting Dewberry Drive this thing, I think we’re in trouble. Know a couple guys that have worked for him.

You see what’s happened at Tenn and other places when big ego donors are driving it.

Is Dewberry even a big donor? Wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t give that much.
I think I'm a lot bigger at 270 but then I guess you were talking about money :)

Status
Not open for further replies.