Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Long time lurker, first time poster (and after this, you may decide it should be the last time). Quick disclosure, Georgia Southern grad from Erk/PJ days in the 80's, followed GT passively until PJ came, became a season ticket holder for many years contributing to the Tech fund and will be a Tech fan for life. My 10 year old daughter is the biggest Tech fan alive as we live here in the upstate of SC, practically in Clemson. Disappointed to see PJ retire but was exacerbated at times with his playcalling, or at least the execution of his playcalling, but when things were rolling, it was a beautiful thing to behold. I would be fine hiring Monken or Bohannon (or even Ivin Jasper) all off the PJ tree, but would be just as fine and maybe happier moving in a different direction as long as it is exciting to watch, and preferrably different than what everyone else is doing.

Here's a suggestion that no one has thought of and will certainly not happen, but would be interesting. Dell McGee, current assistant head coach at the cesspool (where I suffered last Saturday). ...

Whatever the decision is, I just hope they throw a wide net and take a good look at a bunch of candidates and get the one that ends up moving Tech to the next level GO JACKETS!!
Nice first post.

I would be surprised to see us take a flyer on someone from UGA's staff. There would definitely be a segment of the fanbase who would immediately be opposed. I think that kind of move would only be worth it for a more sure thing (eg a hot OC).

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Satterfield and Elliot are about the same. Here’s the pros and cons I see.

Satterfield
pros: done really well against better completion, is a head coach, and would probably retain CNW.
Cons: hasn’t coached at the D1 level (not to worried about) the biggest worry for me would be recruiting, from what I understand the D staff had to be told not to go after “projects” like they might have at App State because that’s what they were able to get. Worry he might would be looking at lower players because of what he’s had to work with at App State.

Elliot:
pros: egeenering degree with the highest gpa on his football team. Learned under a very good program. Young offensive mind who could bring energy and is a good recruiter from what I’ve read.

Cons: hasn’t been a head coach.

Imo the ceiling is a tad higher for Elliot as of now because he has at least coached at this level and knows how to recruit at this level. I wouldnt be upset with either one being hired though.

The other good thing is, with both of them the offensive transition wouldnt be major imo.

App State is in FBS now, not FCS. Satterfield coached them through the transition and had them ranked this year before GSU beat them.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Long time lurker, first time poster (and after this, you may decide it should be the last time). Quick disclosure, Georgia Southern grad from Erk/PJ days in the 80's, followed GT passively until PJ came, became a season ticket holder for many years contributing to the Tech fund and will be a Tech fan for life. My 10 year old daughter is the biggest Tech fan alive as we live here in the upstate of SC, practically in Clemson. Disappointed to see PJ retire but was exacerbated at times with his playcalling, or at least the execution of his playcalling, but when things were rolling, it was a beautiful thing to behold. I would be fine hiring Monken or Bohannon (or even Ivin Jasper) all off the PJ tree, but would be just as fine and maybe happier moving in a different direction as long as it is exciting to watch, and preferrably different than what everyone else is doing.

Here's a suggestion that no one has thought of and will certainly not happen, but would be interesting. Dell McGee, current assistant head coach at the cesspool (where I suffered last Saturday). Lots of potential upside reading his bio. Played DB at Auburn and a few years in the NFL. Was on staff at GSU as RB coach for 2 years after Monken left and the offense transitioned to Willie Fritz "option out of the gun" offense. I'm sure you remember how GSU ran and passed up and down the field in 2014 against the Jackets. It's more of a wide open offense than PJ's version and certainly more palatable to potential recruits. Still it lead the nation in rushing yards, TD's and YPC by a wide margin that year (more than GT has ever rushed ). It would easily fit the personnel on hand right now. When Fritz left for Tulane, McGee was the interrim head coach for the bowl win against Bowling Green and the players lobbied hard to have him be named the permanent head coach. Instead GSU hired the worst possible candidate and McGee moved to the Dwags as RB coach. This year was promoted to assistant HC. Named the #1 recruiter in the COUNTRY by Rivals and 24/7 Sports. This would put an end to all the complaining about recruiting, or at least if it didn't you would know once and for all that it's not the staff that's holding recruiting back. He's only 45 which is a plus too.

Downside - he's never been a head coach on the college level save for the Go Daddy Bowl win, was head coach at Carver HS. Still, Dabo had less coaching experience, but he has turned out to be a good CEO. He's successful at Clemson because he knows how to sell Clemson, and they have a ton of money to throw at assistant coaches (and who knows, players too?) Completely unknown if McGee could do the same as an organizer and head of a program. Still, he is hugely popular with players and has coached in an offensive system that would fit the DNA of Tech. He doesn't have to be a play caller like PJ, just get the coordinators that he has worked with to come on board. This could be a complete bust or a jackpot.

Whatever the decision is, I just hope they throw a wide net and take a good look at a bunch of candidates and get the one that ends up moving Tech to the next level GO JACKETS!!
This is actually sounds interesting. Worth a look and a phone call. No harm in an interview.

GTechFBNut

Georgia Tech Fan
The D has had a down year, but it’s because they lost so many guys to the NFL and Bosa got hurt.

Funny, 11-1 playing for a championship game and they still complain. Must be nice!

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Well just remember when Clemson picked Dabo most of us thought he looked like this
th

and when I see him he looks like this

View attachment 4611
Is this one of those spot the difference puzzles?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Here's a suggestion that no one has thought of and will certainly not happen, but would be interesting. Dell McGee, current assistant head coach at the cesspool (where I suffered last Saturday). Lots of potential upside reading his bio. Played DB at Auburn and a few years in the NFL. Was on staff at GSU as RB coach for 2 years after Monken left and the offense transitioned to Willie Fritz "option out of the gun" offense. I'm sure you remember how GSU ran and passed up and down the field in 2014 against the Jackets. It's more of a wide open offense than PJ's version and certainly more palatable to potential recruits. Still it lead the nation in rushing yards, TD's and YPC by a wide margin that year (more than GT has ever rushed ). It would easily fit the personnel on hand right now. When Fritz left for Tulane, McGee was the interrim head coach for the bowl win against Bowling Green and the players lobbied hard to have him be named the permanent head coach. Instead GSU hired the worst possible candidate and McGee moved to the Dwags as RB coach. This year was promoted to assistant HC. Named the #1 recruiter in the COUNTRY by Rivals and 24/7 Sports. This would put an end to all the complaining about recruiting, or at least if it didn't you would know once and for all that it's not the staff that's holding recruiting back. He's only 45 which is a plus too.

Downside - he's never been a head coach on the college level save for the Go Daddy Bowl win, was head coach at Carver HS. Still, Dabo had less coaching experience, but he has turned out to be a good CEO. He's successful at Clemson because he knows how to sell Clemson, and they have a ton of money to throw at assistant coaches (and who knows, players too?) Completely unknown if McGee could do the same as an organizer and head of a program. Still, he is hugely popular with players and has coached in an offensive system that would fit the DNA of Tech. He doesn't have to be a play caller like PJ, just get the coordinators that he has worked with to come on board. This could be a complete bust or a jackpot.

Know a little about him, I think. Played at Kendrick HS in Columbus under legendary HS option coach Buzz Busby. He'd be an ace recruiter, but with UGA and, I think, Auburn in his background, I don't know if Tech would be his best situation.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice first post.

I would be surprised to see us take a flyer on someone from UGA's staff. There would definitely be a segment of the fanbase who would immediately be opposed. I think that kind of move would only be worth it for a more sure thing (eg a hot OC).

I've got no problem with a UGAg assistant; as long as he is irradiated, vaccinated, lobotomized and neutered.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Todd: “Hey Bob, how’s retirement? You up for a challenge?”
Stoops: “I’m in”
One can dream

Forgivenfool

Georgia Tech Fan
Appreciate all the comments and agree with every one. Particularly that McGee's recent association takes a bit of the shine off of him. Bonus though would be stealing who is likely the Dwags most popular coach among players. Still, my point is that someone like that is out there somewhere that can be a real difference maker in elevating GT to an elite level. Let's face it, we just need to be a level above the rest of the coastal to be in the mix for a New Years bowl every year that we play in the ACC championship. I'm worried that the "safe" choices will either keep us at the level we are at or a step backward. And if we're going to stay where we're at, let's at least have an identity and not look like every other team out there. I know that Duke has owned us lately but they're really at the same level, not ahead of us, and I'm sorry but having to watch that style of football just does not excite me. Go Todd, stake your claim in history with this choice. GO JACKETS!!

GTechFBNut

Georgia Tech Fan
Kind of laughable we wouldn’t consider Schiano.

- 56-33 last 7 years at RU (5-1 in bowl games)
- ESPN ranked him the #1 recruiting assistant last year. Strong hold recruiting in FL and he can recruit nationally
- We need a coach who can compete with the top tier programs in ACC. He can do that.
- NFL experience. Even though it was bad he has that chip.
- Has our SO much talent into the NFL

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Kind of laughable we wouldn’t consider Schiano.

- 56-33 last 7 years at RU (5-1 in bowl games)
- ESPN ranked him the #1 recruiting assistant last year. Strong hold recruiting in FL and he can recruit nationally
- We need a coach who can compete with the top tier programs in ACC. He can do that.
- NFL experience. Even though it was bad he has that chip.
- Has our SO much talent into the NFL
What are you, his agent? Did Urban send you?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, gee, guys. I find all the scuttlebutt interesting and entertaining, but I have no idea who would bee the “best fit” as Georgia Tech’s next head football coach.

I don’t envy Athletic Director Todd Stansbury’s task. It is a monumental one.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, gee, guys. I find all the scuttlebutt interesting and entertaining, but I have no idea who would bee the “best fit” as Georgia Tech’s next head football coach.

I don’t envy Athletic Director Todd Stansbury’s task. It is a monumental one.

Wow, someone who doesn't know who should be our next coach. You must be the only one...who admits it.

Seriously, there are plenty of seeming good candidates, and a capable AD. I think we'll come out of it with a good one.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I saw somewhere that urban meyer isnt expected to return to OSU after the 2019 season... his daughter went/goes to GT:)

Status
Not open for further replies.